Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2020, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #78661
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Impressive exhaust note!
The "good" thing is that they're as loud inside as they are outside

Here's a longer video showing more of the area - but also the inside of the Bombardier (from about 2 minutes in, and again from about 7 minutes). The final stop is at the Norwegian Trekking Association's hostel not far from where we have our cabin. Some nice views on the high-speed trip back

06-08-2020, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #78662
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Dad was up very early that morning clambering into the cockpit of his Avro Halifax bomber...
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Interesting you mention your Dad's Avro Halifax. After the war my dad bought a surplus Lancaster Bomber propeller...
Whoa there, chaps, you're conflating two fine aircraft: the Halifax was built by Handley Page and the Lancaster by A V Roe (Avro). Both highly impressive aircraft and my hat off to your father, Charlac, for seeing out the war that way. But please remember which is which.

Chocks away!
06-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #78663
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
We're going for a trip up into the mountains in a week and a half, but it's probably too much snow for a proper hike (and no, Racer, not enough for skiing!).

They are supposed to open the road this weekend so we at least can drive all the way in. During winter there is public transport with old Bombardier smowmobiles the last 25 km or so. They have been upgraded with 310 hp 5.7L Chevy V8s - originally they had a Chevy straight 6 with 1/3rd of the hp

Beltebil Eidsbugarden-Tyin, ved Tyinholmen - YouTube
Thx for posting that link...as mentioned by another poster...wonderful exhaust note of the Chevy V8 that propels them.

I live in Manitoba and it has a fairly big commercial fishing industry on Lake Winnipeg (11th largest freshwater lake in the world) and for many years has been commercially fished during the winter, along with other parts of the year when the lake is open and not frozen.

Large Bombardier snowmobiles as in your link, have been used by commercial fishers during the winter...when the lake is frozen over to perform a similar function on the ice, that the fishing boats do on open water seasons. They're full of fishermen, bait, nets, catch and other commercial paraphernalia and on occasion I've seen them whipping across the frozen lake surface...often pulling a sled trailer .

These are hard working, practical machines.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...BO3QqMKw8xlSfI

---------- Post added 06-08-20 at 04:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Whoa there, chaps, you're conflating two fine aircraft: the Halifax was built by Handley Page and the Lancaster by A V Roe (Avro). Both highly impressive aircraft and my hat off to your father, Charlac, for seeing out the war that way. But please remember which is which.

Chocks away!

I don't know a lot about airplanes , but as you do, I thought you might find this interesting. My wife's grandfather was a Canadian bush pilot ...starting in the 1920's and one of the many planes he flew was the Flying Boxcar.....a Junkers- JU 52. It used floats in the summer and skis in the winter for flights into the Canadian bush. It was similar to this one, in the link.

Junkers JU-52/1M, CF-ARM
06-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #78664
Pentaxian

@lesmore49:

Your reference to the JU52 as the "Flying Boxcar" is absolutely incorrect - that was the post-WW2 Fairchild C-119

PS: shouldn't be up to me from the "Old World" to point that out to someone in the "New" one

Last edited by jeallen01; 06-08-2020 at 03:05 PM.
06-08-2020, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #78665
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
@lesmore49:

Your reference to the JU52 as the "Flying Boxcar" is absolutely incorrect - that was the post-WW2 Fairchild C-119

Well, Jeallen, I'm afraid you're wrong.

Yes, the C-119 was also called the Flying Boxcar , and so was the JU-52 .

. Here is another reference to the JU 52 being referred to as the Flying Boxcar.

Go through the internet and you will see many additional references. My recommendation is to check before making such statements.

Ju 52/3m Bomber and Transport Units 1936-41 - Robert Forsyth - Google Books
06-08-2020, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #78666
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Bombardier Snowmobile Eidsbugarden, påsken 2014 - YouTube

Here's a longer video showing more of the area - but also the inside of the Bombardier (from about 2 minutes in, and again from about 7 minutes). The final stop is at the Norwegian Trekking Association's hostel not far from where we have our cabin. Some nice views on the high-speed trip back

2011-03-18 Tur til Eidsbugarden.mov - YouTube
Really nice area! One of my first hikes was Besseggen with my dad, mother and sister. That is not that far away from Eidsbugarden.
06-08-2020, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #78667
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Corrugated Classic, also known as Tante Ju, the Ju-52 is an impressive and striking aircraft. If I can find a photo from an airshow (K-7, 80-320 FA) I’ll post it. I didn’t know it had been nicknamed thus, but thanks for the gen.

06-08-2020, 04:17 PM - 2 Likes   #78668
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

Those engines sound a lot like violins.

Oh, and it looks like plenty of snow for skiing.
06-08-2020, 04:51 PM - 2 Likes   #78669
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Hi Sav

Do you have one of these for your winter motoring / shopping.?

Dave
06-08-2020, 06:23 PM - 2 Likes   #78670
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
@lesmore49:

PS: shouldn't be up to me from the "Old World" to point that out to someone in the "New" one
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Well, Jeallen, I'm afraid you're wrong.

Yes, the C-119 was also called the Flying Boxcar , and so was the JU-52 .

. Here is another reference to the JU 52 being referred to as the Flying Boxcar.

Go through the internet and you will see many additional references. My recommendation is to check before making such statements.

Ju 52/3m Bomber and Transport Units 1936-41 - Robert Forsyth - Google Books
Actually you are both correct.

Sort of.

The Fairchild as a whole was known as the flying boxcar. All 1,183 of them.

In the case of the Junkers only one example was known as the flying boxcar, CF-ARM.

QuoteQuote:
One of those five (CF-ARM) was a member of the Canadian Airways Ltd. fleet, the firm founded by James A. Richardson of Winnipeg. For 12 years, between 1931 and 1943, it became known as the “Flying Boxcar”, roaring over Canada’s northland.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-09-2020 at 03:43 PM.
06-08-2020, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #78671
Pentaxian

Growing up we called the Citroen Deux Chevaux "The flying dustbin"
Attached Images

06-08-2020, 11:20 PM   #78672
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
Growing up we called the Citroen Deux Chevaux "The flying dustbin"
Was this one a F.I.F.O.

Dave
06-09-2020, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #78673
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Really nice area! One of my first hikes was Besseggen with my dad, mother and sister. That is not that far away from Eidsbugarden.
A nice hike, that, if a bit crowded during the summer season (although it helps to start early, well before the boat arrives). You can walk from Gjendesbu to Eidsbugarden in a day, no problem.

If you have 11:43 to spend this is actually quite a nice summary of the hike. I think the kids did well

The boat on Gjende is a modern speed monster compared to old M/S Bitihorn sailing on Bygdin
06-09-2020, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #78674
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Those engines sound a lot like violins.
Bombardier Stradivarius?

QuoteQuote:
Oh, and it looks like plenty of snow for skiing.
Around Easter? Oh yes. In June? Not so much, at least not until you get a bit further up towards the glaciers. In August there'll normally be just patches left (apart from the glaciers themselves, obviously).
06-09-2020, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #78675
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Sav

Do you have one of these for your winter motoring / shopping.?
Dave, I suspect they'd be a bit inconvenient for driving around town...

Besides, I think there are more fuel efficient options

Those Swedes, eh...