Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #78766
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
The main use is to enable you to log into a remote server, start screen, start whatever job you want going, and if you get disconnected for some reason your screen session will keep going as if nothing happened. Just reconnect and attach to the screen session when you want. But you also get a searchable buffer (much like "less") and you can log your session to a file. Very nice if you log into a remote console and need to show Support what's happening - or if you want to document what you've done. Or rather, to enable you to go through the screen log later and document, rather than having to do so at 3am while trying to get the blasted thing to work
Oh that's neat. I don't have much use for that, but neat nonetheless.

06-16-2020, 05:09 AM   #78767
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yes. The gates at airports will accommodate a legacy 777, but the wing design on the 777X has a wingspan 24’ wider. It would be unrealistic to expect all the airports around the world to widen their gates. So they designed the outer 12 feet of each wing to fold up.
Interesting that they have done away with the actual fuel saving "winglets" you see on so many aircraft today. I guess the wingtip turbulence has been solved another way.
06-16-2020, 05:13 AM   #78768
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Did that guy work for the contractor supplying a big government department. And now they maintain the NOPs forever and a day because no-one knows why they are there, or whether they are really needed, or even if the code would also work if they were taken out.
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
I'm sure that the 3 NOPs were a "fix" at the time. I have encountered some mystery bugs way back in my Air Force days - Univac mainframe assembly code that had been running for a couple of decades by the time I arrived. Sometimes things could break because the size of a program shifted something off a word boundary and screwed up locations. Or even the size of a variable. I can easily see how the programmer found this and left it in place. Given the pressure from bosses to work on other things, I can see it being left in as 'permanent' too...
No tin foil hat required Tim. Back in those days, because components were distributed across multiple cards, timing issues could rear their heads. Even though a hardware change might fix the problem, a couple of NOPs was far cheaper.
06-16-2020, 05:24 AM   #78769
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
The main use is to enable you to log into a remote server, start screen, start whatever job you want going, and if you get disconnected for some reason your screen session will keep going as if nothing happened. Just reconnect and attach to the screen session when you want. But you also get a searchable buffer (much like "less") and you can log your session to a file. Very nice if you log into a remote console and need to show Support what's happening - or if you want to document what you've done. Or rather, to enable you to go through the screen log later and document, rather than having to do so at 3am while trying to get the blasted thing to work

Of course, you can also use screen to split your terminal window between several sessions, but that's not hugely useful unless you work on a text only console - which is not that common any more.

You can even share your text terminal with another user, or use screen as a terminal emulator (e.g to connect to a serial port). Well, it used to be a nice thing
Back in the day, patching multiple systems could be a real pain. Console terminals were in the data center and that was the only way to do some upgrades. Luckily, we installed a console subsystem that monitored all the console ports on a single system. This meant two things; 1) the operators could attach to a system console from the reflective quiet of the Ops room 2) with dial-in, Charlie could work on systems from the comfort of his own living room. And as mentioned, with dial-in being very problematic and unreliable back then, the last thing you wanted to do was to loose your connection part way through an upgrade. The console subsystem solved that. If you lost connection, the subsystem would maintain the session and you could re-connect to it after all the modem screaming died away and your connection was re-established. Good times.

06-16-2020, 08:33 AM - 3 Likes   #78770
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Interesting that they have done away with the actual fuel saving "winglets" you see on so many aircraft today. I guess the wingtip turbulence has been solved another way.
The wing tips are still there. The 737 has a double winglet, one up, one down. The 787 and 747 have a tip that is swept up and back. The 777/777X have a similar tip, although it is geometrically different.

Airbus has similar wingtip configurations in models in similar class airplanes.

Other manufacturers, Bombardier, Embraer, Gulfstream all have winglets or modified tip designs that manage airflow over the wing to reduce turbulence and drag.
06-16-2020, 03:45 PM - 2 Likes   #78771
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

https://www.boeing.com/777x/reveal/video-777x-Folding-Wingtip/
06-16-2020, 04:51 PM - 4 Likes   #78772
Veteran Member

It doesn't look like I've missed much here.
Jim was thinking of me as he planned to murder an already dead portion of pig, and a bunch of computer gobbledygook.

Biopsy report finally in, it is cancer, as if there was any doubt. The sample will undergo further testing.
I've been referred to an oncologist, should know more after seeing him.

I'd post a PBS strip, but lately none have been worthy of The Thread.

06-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #78773
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The wing tips are still there. The 737 has a double winglet, one up, one down. The 787 and 747 have a tip that is swept up and back. The 777/777X have a similar tip, although it is geometrically different.

Airbus has similar wingtip configurations in models in similar class airplanes.

Other manufacturers, Bombardier, Embraer, Gulfstream all have winglets or modified tip designs that manage airflow over the wing to reduce turbulence and drag.
A bit more on wingtip designs.

The first wingtip devices date back to 1897, when English engineer Frederick W. Lanchester patented wing end-plates as a method for controlling wingtip vortices. In the United States, Scottish-born engineer William E. Somerville patented the first functional winglets in 1910.

Drooped wingtips with pointed rear tips focus the resulting wingtip vortex away from the upper wing surface. Drooped wingtips are often called "Hoerner tips" for their inventor, Dr. Sighard F. Hoerner. Gliders and light aircraft have made use of Hoerner tips

The wingtip fence, such as used on Airbus A310-300,

The canted winglet, used on the 747-400.

Blended wingtips used on the 737-800 and retrofitted to many other aircraft follow a smooth upward curve, eliminating the sharp angle of other winglets.

Raked wingtips, where the tip has a greater wing sweep than the rest of the wing, are featured on some Boeing Commercial Airplanes to improve fuel efficiency, takeoff and climb performance. Like winglets, they increase the effective wing aspect ratio and diminish wingtip vortices, decreasing lift-induced drag.

Split tips (like on the Boeing 737Max, the most efficient winglet on any airplane), a hybrid between a winglet, wingtip fence, and raked wingtip.

Tip devices are also used on helicopter rotors, aircraft propellers, wind turbine rotor blades, even ceiling fans.

Read more here.
06-16-2020, 05:09 PM - 3 Likes   #78774
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Biopsy report finally in, it is cancer, as if there was any doubt. The sample will undergo further testing.I've been referred to an oncologist, should know more after seeing him.
Sorry to hear that Bob, I hope things from now on go as well as possible...
06-16-2020, 05:19 PM - 3 Likes   #78775
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Biopsy report finally in, it is cancer, as if there was any doubt. The sample will undergo further testing.
Best wishes for a favorable outcome Bob.

Remember to keep a positive outlook, no matter how much the treatment kicks your ass. I know it will not be easy, as the treatment is often perceived as worse than the ailment. Be strong, and draw on the support from friends and family.

Be strong my friend.

Be well my friend.
06-16-2020, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #78776
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Biopsy report finally in, it is cancer, as if there was any doubt.
Bob, I'm so, so sorry.
06-16-2020, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #78777
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It doesn't look like I've missed much here.
Jim was thinking of me as he planned to murder an already dead portion of pig, and a bunch of computer gobbledygook.

I'd post a PBS strip, but lately none have been worthy of The Thread.
Sorry to hear Bob. I hope it's the type that can be hacked out relatively easily.
06-17-2020, 02:30 AM - 2 Likes   #78778
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

a bunch of computer gobbledygook
A.k.a. nerdy talk about something not to do with barbecuing

That's unwelcome, if not unexpected, news. Thanks for sharing, though, and best wishes for a as-good-as-can-be outcome.
06-17-2020, 02:31 AM - 5 Likes   #78779
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

a PBS strip
Will this do?

06-17-2020, 02:34 AM - 5 Likes   #78780
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Natural selection explained.