Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #80011
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This is an Alligator. It's an amphibious boat that could haul logs over both land and water. They were steam powered and the boiler, drive shaft, gears and metal frame of the paddle wheels which could also propel the boat on land is what you're looking at. There's one across the bay from where I live in the same condition as the relic. They became obsolete when trucks became big enough and powerful enough to haul logs out of the bush.

Here's one that is still intact.
Clever machine. Thanks for posting. I've never seen one. Here by us, they used a stationary (steam engine driven) machine to run a endless chain around a set of pulleys and so hauled the logs out of the bush to a central location.

08-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #80012
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Clever machine. Thanks for posting. I've never seen one. Here by us, they used a stationary (steam engine driven) machine to run a endless chain around a set of pulleys and so hauled the logs out of the bush to a central location.
The loggers would assemble a huge log boom to be pulled, which was then attached tot he winch on the alligator. The alligator would move forward drop anchor and winch the boom forward, Then repeat until it got to the other end of the lake, where there would be a chute to the next lake. I suspect you don't have enough lakes in Australia to make use of an Alligator. They were used in connected lake systems.

AN RC model Alligator.

A log chute in winter, most were bigger and longer. Loggers would "herd" the logs into the log chute and then to the next lake. The alligator would go overland to get to the next lake then repeat until they got down to the Ottawa River. (From whence you could sail all the way to Australia if you wanted to.)
08-13-2020, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #80013
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You seem to have a knack for popping in at just the right moment Jim.
Pure luck, eh?
08-13-2020, 07:08 PM   #80014
Pentaxian

Did the Alligator use the anchor and winch method to drag itself across land, or did it have gears or wheel drive of some sort like the paddle wheels? Definitely a clever bit of tech!

08-13-2020, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #80015
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I suspect you don't have enough lakes in Australia to make use of an Alligator. They were used in connected lake systems. . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . (From whence you could sail all the way to Australia if you wanted to.)
Except Mark is in New Zealand.
08-13-2020, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #80016
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The loggers would assemble a huge log boom to be pulled, which was then attached tot he winch on the alligator. The alligator would move forward drop anchor and winch the boom forward, Then repeat until it got to the other end of the lake, where there would be a chute to the next lake. I suspect you don't have enough lakes in Australia to make use of an Alligator. They were used in connected lake systems.

AN RC model Alligator.

A log chute in winter, most were bigger and longer. Loggers would "herd" the logs into the log chute and then to the next lake. The alligator would go overland to get to the next lake then repeat until they got down to the Ottawa River. (From whence you could sail all the way to Australia if you wanted to.)
Real clever!

And a small reminder. Australia is the slightly larger island to the North-West.
Attached Images

08-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #80017
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
They used steam donkeys around here back in the day.

08-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #80018
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
They used steam donkeys around here back in the day.
This is similar to what they used here. Except, most that I have seen have had horizontal boilers, much like a steam train.
08-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #80019
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh dang, I might as well keep going....
08-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #80020
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And going....
08-13-2020, 07:28 PM   #80021
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Almost there.....
08-13-2020, 07:28 PM - 4 Likes   #80022
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

100 more posts and I'm at 14,000!
08-13-2020, 08:00 PM - 2 Likes   #80023
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lucky you've got a K 1 to document the occasion..

Dave
08-14-2020, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #80024
Pentaxian

Real clever!

And a small reminder. Australia is the slightly larger island to the North-West.
You make one little mistake around here....

I tend to judge the location by the cost of the airline ticket. Going to either is way above my pay grade.

---------- Post added 08-14-20 at 09:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Did the Alligator use the anchor and winch method to drag itself across land, or did it have gears or wheel drive of some sort like the paddle wheels? Definitely a clever bit of tech!
I've heard about corduroy (log roads) being constructed, and I suspect the winch moved the alligator across land, but, I'd have to ask at the next "Logging Days" exhibition in the park (cancelled this year by Covid) if I don't run into one of the old timers at the grocery. (Imagine people my age calling other people old timers.)

Now this guy here, he's an old timer.... he's in his 90s and still swinging a squaring axe, one of those lost arts.

Last edited by normhead; 08-14-2020 at 06:44 AM.
08-14-2020, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #80025
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm closing in on 10K, but I'm........