Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2020, 02:51 AM - 3 Likes   #80161
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Almost spring. Daffodils are out, cherry trees have started blooming and I can see buds forming on all the fruit trees. One lone flower open on the plum tree as well. Seems like I pruned the roses and fruit trees just in time.
Hah, early spring for you, late spring for me

08-19-2020, 02:54 AM - 2 Likes   #80162
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Creeper cop.

Revenue ranger. (see him hiding on the overpass?)

Damn camera revenue machine got me Saturday before last.
08-19-2020, 02:55 AM - 2 Likes   #80163
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Earlier this year, an early Datsun 240Z sold for $310,000 (US).

21k-Mile 1971 Datsun 240Z Series I for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $310,000 on January 29, 2020 (Lot #27,363) | Bring a Trailer

No, that is not a typo.

THREE HUNDRED TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS.

For a car that sold new for $3,757.
It keeps its value fairly well, then.
08-19-2020, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #80164
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
It keeps its value fairly well, then.
Very much so. $3,757 in today's money is somewhere between $50,000 and $85,000 depending on which inflationary factors one uses to calculate. $300,000 represents a tidy profit.

08-19-2020, 05:08 AM - 2 Likes   #80165
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bears? Never heard them called bears!
The term comes from the "Smokey the Bear" hats commonly worn by Highway Patrol/State Police/State troopers (agency name varies by state).
08-19-2020, 05:23 AM - 2 Likes   #80166
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The one where I mentioned them as “her majesty’s men” by mistake.
Right.
Of course my total lack of self restraint when presented with an opportunity to make a smart-equus asinus comment may have added to the confusion.
08-19-2020, 05:27 AM   #80167
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The term comes from the "Smokey the Bear" hats commonly worn by Highway Patrol/State Police/State troopers (agency name varies by state).
Aha. Makes sense now.

08-19-2020, 07:06 AM - 4 Likes   #80168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
My late brother-in-law was career army.
Back during the CB radio craze he would wear his drill instructor hat when traveling, then listen for comments on the radio.
Often they were something like: "Looks like we have a Smokey southbound 55, and he's with his family."

His looked like this:

08-19-2020, 07:10 AM - 2 Likes   #80169
Veteran Member

Shameless post to get to 9,900.
08-19-2020, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #80170
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last night, after completing the pizza oven floor, I fired up the bbq for some ribs. Bob will be pleased to now I did not precook, but used the slow cooking indirect fire method, with lots of basting.

It was 7 degrees but red wine helped with that.
Looks like it could double as a medieval fort!
08-19-2020, 08:05 AM - 2 Likes   #80171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My late brother-in-law was career army.
Back during the CB radio craze he would wear his drill instructor hat when traveling, then listen for comments on the radio.
Often they were something like: "Looks like we have a Smokey southbound 55, and he's with his family."

His looked like this:
Nice hat and story.

Up here the Royal Canadian Mounted Police also wear similar hats, but in their case, nowadays, just with their dress uniforms.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=...WbcCyaXtWv-8dK
08-19-2020, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #80172
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I filled ours out online.
I didn't want The Man to know that much detail about me. No IP, no e-mail, no phone number, none of that.

I am Mr. Anonymous.
08-19-2020, 10:14 AM - 4 Likes   #80173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's what we do best.
Bertwert, the punk ass kid, started it.
There's a beer for that

08-19-2020, 10:37 AM - 2 Likes   #80174
Pentaxian

I didn't want The Man to know that much detail about me. No IP, no e-mail, no phone number, none of that.

I am Mr. Anonymous.
It is getting harder and harder to remain anonymous in this world of ours, particularly Sweden. Some Swedes are getting microchips implanted into their bodies, that has all sorts of information about them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=...LHZ07gxkzIhf6F

Jackie Stewart, the former F1 World Champion started racing cars when he was a young man and living at his parents' home. His mother didn't want him risking his life by racing cars...his solution...to race under the pseudonym ...A. N. Other.
08-19-2020, 10:53 AM - 3 Likes   #80175
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I remember fly fishing in the Duck Mountains area of Manitoba about a quarter of century ago. It was evening and I was in my Old Town freighter canoe. There were beaver dams here and there and they can provide good coverage for fish. The lake I was in was mostly a trout lake and they were rising to the surface to gobble up the insect hatch that was taking place.

Closest I had to the hatch was few Water Boatman flies and I was casting away where the trout were surfacing. All of a sudden...bang...something huge hit my fly lure and my fishing rod bent over in almost a U. Tne next second a large beaver broke water surface like a missile . My fly had stuck onto his side and he wasn't happy and he was about 10 feet from me and boat.

Fortunately he snapped my fly leader like it was nothing and subsided back into the lake. Scared the bejeebers out of me as at first, I thought how the heck am I going to do a catch and release on 30+ pounds of wet, angry rodent with huge chompers that he knew how to use...effectively.

I think what happened is he must of been swimming by my water boatman fly and brushed along it and the fly caught him on the side of his body.

Anyways, I figured well it;s getting near dusk, and I by that point had enough of fishing for the evening so I fired up my little Evinrude twin and went back to the dock. When I was docking my freighter, there was a guy on the dock who was a part time local guide/ trapper making a few last casts of the day.

I told him of my adventure and he said he wouldn't worry about the Beaver, thick hide, small, thin, fly hook, it would probably fall off within 24 hours and wouldn't be able to pierce the hide.

Manitoba is a wonderful place to live, with a ig variety of different topographical areas.... extremely cold, hot during summer...huge number of lakes,,,,vast areas of Canadian Shield, Boreal Forest, rich prairie grain farms, ranches...and up north , tundra to the Hudson's Bay.

I mention this as there is lots of great outdoors for the outdoorsman/woman. Some areas are pretty isolated, but for me, that is just fine.
When Mrs CharLac 3.0 was young, she was fishing and caught a beaver. She screamed for her Dad, who did not believe here at first. He thought she just had a snag. She had in fact caught a beaver and had to cut the line.

Yep, love the outdoor here....heading to the mouth of the Petawawa river off in the distance from Cedar Lake.
Attached Images