Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #8041
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The texture alone is awful.
I didn't find it all that awful -- some yogurt is slimey and that is definitely retch-inducing. Thinking about it is making me gag, to be honest.

But if you mix enough "stuff" (fruit or whatever you like) in the Greek, it's OK. At least the store brand that I got. In small servings.

Far as I'm concerned, the slime could be a hociR deterrent.

04-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #8042
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No room in my system for yogurt right now. Maybe after I've had my arteries bored, stinted and scraped due to the clogs from last night's pizza.
04-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #8043
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If only they would make a bacon-flavored or a cheese-flavored yogurt we'd be set. They'd sort of cancel each other out on the 'clogging' effects.

Are you listening hoicR?
04-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #8044
Veteran Member

Back in the 1970s, I used to make my own Greek style yogurt using a recipe from an Adelle Davis authored cookbook. In those granola munching days, one could pickup an electric yogurt maker, kind of an aluminum crockpot, that cooked the yogurt at low temps that created a custard smooth texture to the finished product. Of course I also had a Hitachi rice cooker and jugs of vitamins, brewed my own lager and ale, bottled in champagne magnums given to me by my girl friend who worked as a waitress for wedding events at he Circus Club in Atherton, CA. This last was a horsey country club frequented by champagne drinkers. I don't think the patrons liked yogurt or granola.

04-06-2014, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #8045
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If only they would make a bacon-flavored or a cheese-flavored yogurt we'd be set. They'd sort of cancel each other out on the 'clogging' effects.

Are you listening hoicR?
Ask and ye shall receive.

04-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #8046
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Greek style yogurt makes me retch. The texture alone is awful. Reminds me of that white paste glue they had when we went to kindergarten.

Blech!

I remember my mother taught me to make a white paste glue - good for paper. Plain flour plus water mixed until it was all sticky. Good for quickly sticking paper together but NOT to be stored for a long time - it attracted the bugs to eat the flour.

And I thought it looked and smelled so unappealing I never thought of putting it my mouth.

---------- Post added 04-07-14 at 05:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Thanks Steve ... just got back home and made some super killer deals ... may post an image or two later on.

As for the "Helioi", here's my listing ... no bites and it's super cheap ... I'm almost giving it away because I have so many ... J

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/251232-sal...reset-m42.html
Who would want to buy a 'sun' - they are a bit bright and hot! (Everyone should remember the Greek they studied in the days of their own antiquity.)

Last edited by tim60; 04-06-2014 at 12:37 PM.
04-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #8047
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Who would want to buy a 'sun' - they are a bit bright and hot!
But Helios was the god personification of the sun, the giver of sight. Always a good deal having a god on retainer. Probably a good counter-balance if there's a hociR invasion, too.

04-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #8048
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
And I thought it looked and smelled so unappealing I never thought of putting it my mouth.
I only knew of it because it was a dare from a fellow kindergartner. The memory of it has persisted for more than 52 years.
04-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #8049
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I remember the school paste, it was actually mint flavored, or at least mint scented.
04-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #8050
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Reminds me of that white paste glue they had when we went to kindergarten.
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
As I remember the school paste, it was actually mint flavored, or at least mint scented.
You were both paste eaters? We were warned about the dangers of eating paste.

Steve

---------- Post added 04-06-14 at 02:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
As for the "Helioi", here's my listing ... no bites and it's super cheap ... I'm almost giving it away because I have so many ... J
Find me a nice 44-3 with compatible focus ring (the one that does not bind against the mount flange) and I will buy it from you.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-06-2014 at 06:03 PM.
04-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #8051
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All this talk about yogurt makes me want to eat some viili and drink some piimä.
Helps in keeping the hociR at bay.

edit: come to think of it, flooding Tokyo with piimä could save it from destruction.
04-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #8052
Pentaxian

I have nibbled a bit of paste in my day. At the time I successfully ignored the horror stories of what it could do to me but in hindsight it is probably the reason behind my not buying a K-3.

But yogurt of any denomination is an abomination!!
04-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #8053
Veteran Member

Actually yogurt and cheese are identical products at different life stages. Cheese takes a bit more time.
04-06-2014, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #8054
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
But yogurt of any denomination is an abomination!!
The biggest "culture shock" (pun intended) coming back to North America from Europe was just how small the yogurt aisle at the grocery store is (if even part of an aisle), and how much of the stuff for sale isn't yogurt at all, but thickeners with milk powder (0% fat, no active cultures, guar gum, etc.). Not far from kindergarten paste!

I mean, how come I can't get stracciatella yogurt (with 10% milk fat) in Canada? Huh? Why is that Mr. Harper? I think my old local Carrefour had six different brands of that flavor for sale!
04-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #8055
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You were both paste eaters? We were warned about the dangers of eating paste.
Did you miss this?

I only knew of it because it was a dare from a fellow kindergartner. The memory of it has persisted for more than 52 years.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^