Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The house or the girlfriend?
The ride in the plane.

09-09-2020, 11:06 PM - 4 Likes   #80612
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Two questions, make that three !

1) How did they get up there ?

2) How did they get down from there ?

3) Why did they go up there in the first place ?
QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
Maybe I can answer that.
1. Rock climbing
2. Rock climbing
3. Because it was there.
In my youth I had the urge to climb any rock face I saw. It faded with age. It's still there but my mature inner self says "don't even think about it"
You're at least correct on the first two:

As for why... (despite the pro lingo I'm not actually a psychiatrist) something is obviously wrong with their heads.
09-10-2020, 02:16 AM - 3 Likes   #80613
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I notice some what appears to be 'shrapnel' . Any stories as to how that came about ?
Those are pieces of piston. When the valve heads separated from the valve stems, they bounced around inside the combustion chamber as the pistons continued to go up and down. At first the edges of the valve heads were relatively “sharp”, and the chunks of aluminum were gouged and broken off of the top of the piston.

Then those bits got banged around, then all the debris went up into the intake manifold, traveling into each of the other cylinders along that side of the engine, bouncing about, knicking and denying the piston tops and combustion chamber areas of the cylinder head.

Remember, the guy was making a pass, had his foot firmly planted on the accelerator. The engine was probably turning 6,000 rpm or more when it all went wrong.

It makes an awful racket, a very expensive noise.
09-10-2020, 03:09 AM - 3 Likes   #80614
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Those are pieces of piston. When the valve heads separated from the valve stems, they bounced around inside the combustion chamber as the pistons continued to go up and down. At first the edges of the valve heads were relatively “sharp”, and the chunks of aluminum were gouged and broken off of the top of the piston.

Then those bits got banged around, then all the debris went up into the intake manifold, traveling into each of the other cylinders along that side of the engine, bouncing about, knicking and denying the piston tops and combustion chamber areas of the cylinder head.

Remember, the guy was making a pass, had his foot firmly planted on the accelerator. The engine was probably turning 6,000 rpm or more when it all went wrong.

That happened to me once on a motorway in the UK many years ago. I was in a Rover 2600, climbing a long slow hill, doing around 65 and overtaking. At the peak of acceleration (which wasn't much!) the OHC drive belt let go and there were many expensive noises from the 2.6 litre straight six Rover engine, followed by a sad coast to the hard shoulder and a lot of very naughty words.

09-10-2020, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #80615
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
That happened to me once on a motorway in the UK many years ago. I was in a Rover 2600, climbing a long slow hill, doing around 65 and overtaking. At the peak of acceleration (which wasn't much!) the OHC drive belt let go and there were many expensive noises from the 2.6 litre straight six Rover engine, followed by a sad coast to the hard shoulder and a lot of very naughty words.
I have experienced a number of catastrophic engine failures over the years. Some on the racetrack, some on the motorway.

It always results in a string of expletives, followed by a reduction in available funds in the checking account.
09-10-2020, 05:17 AM - 6 Likes   #80616
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
and a lot of very naughty words.
I imagine you said something like "Oh darn" or "Well that was unfortunate", right?
09-10-2020, 05:49 AM   #80617
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

And from former Coke executive Chris Burggraeve, Toast, targeted at affluent baby boomers:

09-10-2020, 05:51 AM - 2 Likes   #80618
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I imagine you said something like "Oh darn" or "Well that was unfortunate", right?
That’s the ones I use.

Of course there are also some adjectives used for effect, usually not tolerated in polite company.

cheesy
09-10-2020, 07:22 AM - 4 Likes   #80619
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course there are also some adjectives used for effect, usually not tolerated in polite company.
Yep. That's why I try to avoid polite company.
09-10-2020, 07:35 AM - 5 Likes   #80620
Veteran Member

Breakfast this morning.
One slice of my bacon equals two store bought slices.
(Dang, my cheap cell phone sure takes decent pics, no need for a stinkin' k3!)

09-10-2020, 07:36 AM - 4 Likes   #80621
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep. That's why I try to avoid polite company.
You've come to the right place.
09-10-2020, 10:19 AM - 4 Likes   #80622
Pentaxian

Yikes !!

I used to take photos at the local drags. I would be by the retaining wall...had permission as I was taking photos. Used my K5 and 12-24...uber wide angle.

However after a year or so I decided to change lenses and photography spots. I changed from my 12-24 to my Sigma 150-500 and took pics from the stands, which unfortunately in the 21 rst century are not anywhere near full, compared to the '60's and '70's.

Reason for the changes ? I was watching a '69 Chevelle SS with a built 454 and very wide slicks about to launch off the start line. 'Bang'....and the car didn't move. He had 'grenaded' his rear axle and some parts came a-flyin' ...fortunately nowhere near me. Lots of torque, lots of revs, lots of traction and the weak link was found....

I find it safer to use my telephoto and I can still zero in my zoom ....but @ 350-500mm....from a safer, further distance.

When I was a kid, back in the '60's I seized my 125cc single after a 'fast' highway ride....It locked up tight @ 55mph, I was lucky and fast at pulling in the clutch lever. Had to get an engine rebuild though. There was a whole lot of knockin' coming from that central European engine. My fault and I learned a big lesson, make sure I mix oil in with the gas, when I fill up the tank of a 2 stroke.

Edit:....almost forgot. I uttered a whole string of darns and gee willikers after seizing the motorcycle engine. The air was absolutely blue....and for sure as I had forgotten to add 2 stroke oil to the gas...the air wasn't blue from exhaust smoke.
09-10-2020, 01:40 PM   #80623
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Breakfast this morning.

Looks like a very good, tasty, substantial breakfast. I always believe breakfast is the most important meal of the day and you gotta have something that sticks to your ribs to get off to a good start.

Tomorrow my wife and I are making one of our semi regular trips to pick up bread and Ukrainian food.

First stop, he bakery we go to, makes unbeatable rye bread, brioche hamburger buns, hot dog buns that are almost as good as the hot dog itself, Kaiser bun and egg twist buns that will melt in your mouth. We freeze the stuff and my prescription is to eat as needed.

Second stop, a local kitchen that makes wonderful Ukrainian food. We'll pick up our order including Kolbassa, cabbage rolls, perogies, meatballs.

We were going to have a third stop and pick up Kosher dill pickles, unfortunately that small factory is closed tomorrow..

Otherwise our provisions pick ups would of been a 'hat trick' as they say in the hockey (ice) world.

My wife and I do enjoy our retirement .
09-10-2020, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #80624
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Brahms 3rd racket!

09-10-2020, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #80625
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Breakfast this morning.

That's a bacon steak!

Woot!

Woot!