Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2020, 11:08 AM - 2 Likes   #80731
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I've never tried to start it. My guess is it would need a tuneup.
Bought it at a garage sale years ago.
I like that old outboard in your man cave. Perfect spot and a conversation piece.

My grandparents had an Evinrude...5 HP....they bought in the 1930's. At the time it was the biggest outboard on the lake.....5 HP was a lot for an outboard back in the '30's. It was attached to their Peterborough, cedar runabout.

They had a cottage on Long Lake in the Canadian Shield. Just over the Ontario/Manitoba border.

When I was a kid in the '50's and early '60's I spent my summers ( 2 months@ year) at a state park in Minnesota, so nice to see your vintage 'Rude . Takes me back to the days when you would see a whole passel of different brand outboards. Chrysler, West Bend, McCulloch, Keikhafer Mercury, Viking, along with more common Evinrude and Johnson.

09-15-2020, 12:02 PM - 3 Likes   #80732
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
Sounds like the valley I live in, except ours is wider and deeper.
The Grand Canyon?
09-15-2020, 12:39 PM - 3 Likes   #80733
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I had no idea... They actually dig a 6 meter wide shallow ditch in the desert to get the perfect conditions for sailing 50+ knots. If riding a single water-ski with a sail on it can be called sailing

New pb record of 51.6 kn @500m and a topspeed of 100.6 km/h | Andy Laufer Lüderitz Speed 2019 - YouTube
It is a bit, er, focused. Mind you, the buzz of getting a board to really high speed on flat water is undeniable – I just liked getting places instead of drag racing. Says the guy who hauled his gear all around the UK to sail in circles with dozens of other racers!
09-15-2020, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #80734
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I will have to give it another try. Thx for the link.

Les

09-15-2020, 06:43 PM - 2 Likes   #80735
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
...or just X69.
This is how Racer leaves his mark.

09-15-2020, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #80736
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I will have to give it another try. Thx for the link.

Les
Getting the pictures from the camera, to a place where they can be shared on the web is really pretty straightforward. Even stuff from film is easily reproduced and shared on the web these days.

I used to go into the dark room now and then, and always enjoyed the results, but the process itself was just too much fuss and bother.

The digital darkroom however, is a different story.

Sure, you can simply go straight from the camera to the web, but the digital darkroom is a million times less fiddly than a real darkroom. Results are immediate, and if done correctly, reversible. It can be intimidating at first, but in short order the software becomes familiar, and easy to use. I often go to a web search if there is something I want to try, but cannot work it out on my own, and each time I become more familiar with the application, and produce increasingly better results.

Go ahead, take the plunge.
09-15-2020, 07:12 PM - 3 Likes   #80737
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
This is how Racer leaves his mark.

V8 Datsun 240z rolling burnout in highway - YouTube
Here, that guy would be looking at 6 months license suspension and possibly impoundment of vehicle for "sustained loss of traction" and "failure to control a motor vehicle" on a public road.

09-15-2020, 07:46 PM - 4 Likes   #80738
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here, that guy would be looking at 6 months license suspension and possibly impoundment of vehicle for "sustained loss of traction" and "failure to control a motor vehicle" on a public road.
The cops here are known to be fond of donuts.
09-15-2020, 09:44 PM   #80739
Pentaxian

Propane. We don't have reticulated gas in our town. It works for a remarkably long time on a 9kg LPG cylinder. With cooking most every night, I find a 9kg cylinder lasts 4-5 months.
Is the absence of reticulated gas because of earthquake risk?
09-16-2020, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #80740
Pentaxian

Getting the pictures from the camera, to a place where they can be shared on the web is really pretty straightforward
I've never used a system where photo sharing can be utilized. We are looking at getting a new computer so that may change. Thx for the info.

Les
09-16-2020, 02:06 AM   #80741
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

He was in perfect control the whole time.
09-16-2020, 06:23 AM - 4 Likes   #80742
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Getting the pictures from the camera, to a place where they can be shared on the web is really pretty straightforward. Even stuff from film is easily reproduced and shared on the web these days.

I used to go into the dark room now and then, and always enjoyed the results, but the process itself was just too much fuss and bother.

The digital darkroom however, is a different story.

Sure, you can simply go straight from the camera to the web, but the digital darkroom is a million times less fiddly than a real darkroom. Results are immediate, and if done correctly, reversible. It can be intimidating at first, but in short order the software becomes familiar, and easy to use. I often go to a web search if there is something I want to try, but cannot work it out on my own, and each time I become more familiar with the application, and produce increasingly better results.

Go ahead, take the plunge.
Photography talk?

09-16-2020, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #80743
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photography talk?
So long as it keeps people from buying a K-3, eh?
09-16-2020, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #80744
dbs
Pentaxian

Photography talk?
Yes Bob yes

Some of us here need extra help sometimes of which Racer was accomodating.
Maybe you prefer the donuts?

Dave.
09-16-2020, 06:45 PM - 5 Likes   #80745
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

You know, I was just thinking.

When strangers wander in here, and express their concerns about the, um, inappropriate nature of this discussion in the K-3 forum, we really do have a great reason for keeping the conversation going.

Honest.

Our rambling discourse here, peppered with occasional tidbits if extremely valuable and informative stuff, also serves a very important purpose.

It keeps people from getting off topic in other threads.

Seriously.

We rarely have any trouble in the K-3 section. The members here are almost without exception the best behaved members of this community. Well, at least when they are interacting here anyway.

Maybe the Doom And Gloom forum needs a Why I Won't Buy A Whatever" thread.

But then, there can be only one.