Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108794 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2020, 11:53 AM - 4 Likes   #80791
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Some Estate cars in the UK are also known as Shooting Brakes. Think the difference between a Shooting Brake and an Estate car is determined by use. Although I'm guessing.
When my father bought that Morris Oxford estate in the 60s, he remarked the type used to be known as a shooting brake, but I never heard the expression again. The way he spoke, the term was already old-fashioned and its use dying out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I suppose even the Datsun Z could be a shooting brake, for a hunting party of two. If it was birds or rabbit, the bounty of the hunt could be carried home in the back. For larger game, a roof rack might be more appropriate.
Dear me, no. Where do you put the wet, muddy, smelly hounds?

09-19-2020, 12:17 PM   #80792
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
When my father bought that Morris Oxford estate in the 60s, he remarked the type used to be known as a shooting brake, but I never heard the expression again. The way he spoke, the term was already old-fashioned and its use dying out....
Absolutely - nowadays the term would probably not be understood by anyone less than 60 yrs old.

@Parallax - you need to get your "English English" vocabulary rather more "up-to-date"
09-19-2020, 12:39 PM - 3 Likes   #80793
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
@Parallax - you need to get your "English English" vocabulary rather more "up-to-date"
I speak American fluently, but I have a passing familiarity with some foreign languages (French, English, Spanish, and German).
Every Fall we have many custom harvesters from South Africa. I can always identify Afrikaans when I hear it. I can identify it because it's the only non-Asian language I hear of which I can identify no words whatsoever.

Last edited by Parallax; 09-19-2020 at 12:49 PM.
09-19-2020, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #80794
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
One of the [few] things I've leaned in life is that if I can think of it somebody else already has.
Someone once said that it was important to be the firstest with the mostest. In my life I've found out , to my dismay that I've never been the firstest ....nor had the mostest.

Heck, I can't even spell all that well, when I read what I writ.

09-19-2020, 01:07 PM - 2 Likes   #80795
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Heck, I can't even spell all that well, when I read what I writ.
"It's a rat writ, writ for a rat" ~Rooster Cogburn
09-19-2020, 01:12 PM   #80796
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Dear me, no. Where do you put the wet, muddy, smelly hounds?
They can ride in the truck.
09-19-2020, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #80797
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I speak American fluently, but I have a passing familiarity with some foreign languages (French, English, Spanish, and German).
Every Fall we have many custom harvesters from South Africa. I can always identify Afrikaans when I hear it. I can identify it because it's the only non-Asian language I hear of which I can identify no words whatsoever.
You ought to have taken lessons from my brother-in-law as he used to teach "English as a foreign language" - but, unfortunately he's now getting to an age when even "English English" (and certainly anything vaguely "complicated" &/or "technical") is itself becoming a bit of a "foreign language" to him

09-19-2020, 01:21 PM - 2 Likes   #80798
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh those Crazy Canadians!

Tesla driver found asleep at wheel of self-driving car doing 150km/h | Canada | The Guardian
09-19-2020, 01:51 PM - 3 Likes   #80799
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

From the archives.

Ouch.

But hey, the doors still open. Put some tires on it and get going.
09-19-2020, 01:51 PM - 2 Likes   #80800
Pentaxian

AND there will be MANY more "occasions" like that (and some will end in far more serious "incidents") - so it'll not be only those "crazy Canucks"

---------- Post added 09-19-20 at 09:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by racer x 69 Quote
from the archives.
Ouch.
OOPS!

Last edited by jeallen01; 09-19-2020 at 01:56 PM.
09-19-2020, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #80801
Pentaxian

From the archives.

Ouch.

I liked rallying in the old days, when world rally cars were beefed up stock cars, like this Z....and back a bit further when they used cars like my 1962 Volvo PV544.
I would say the rally driver there may have been driving at 10/10th or maybe 11/10th.

---------- Post added 09-19-20 at 04:03 PM ----------

More like an idiot Canuck. He was about 300 miles from where my daughter and her family live. The Guardian had the speed limits wrong...it is a 110 Kph (approx. 70 mph) on the Trans Canada in the prairie provinces but most other highways here are around 100 Kph.

Believe when the Mounties caught up with him the 'driver' was still sound asleep with the car whipping along at 150 Kph....that is about 92 mph or so.
09-19-2020, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #80802
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

From the archives.

Ouch.

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." ~Jeff Spicoli
09-19-2020, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #80803
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
With 9kg bottles, we have those filled at the petrol station or you can do a bottle swap at various shops. We usually do the bottle swap. It's quick and easy. Wityh the 45kg bottles those are rented and delivered to your home. When we lived in Wellington the house had reticulated gas and gas central heating. Very nice, although expensive to run.
In Australia we had go to the service station refilling. That interrupts cooking with a trip out. The Taiwan bottles were about 1 foot diameter and mid thigh height, a good size to fit on a rack on the delivery man’s motor bike.
09-19-2020, 11:07 PM   #80804
Pentaxian

I have had mixed results with shipping from Amazon, so much so that I avoid buying anything through it.

I have had a few orders fulfilled in 24 hours. Didn't know it was going to be that quick after I clicked the buy button,so it kind of freaked me out.

Then there was one order I clicked buy in the morning, around 6 am, and it was on my stoop when I walked out to the mailbox to grab the daily mail.

Really freaky.

But the large majority of my Amazon experiences have been negative. Delayed orders. Cancelled orders. The delivery drivers are young snot nosed punks that look like they fell face first into their daddy's tackle box, and then got drunk and went to the tattoo parlor. The drive up and down our private one lane gravel drive at 30, 40, 50 miles an hour. I have confronted them.

One afternoon coming home from work I encountered one, driving about 40 or so, a cloud of dust billowing behind him. I blocked the road to force him to stop, and when I pulled alongside to tell him to slow down, he sped away, tires spewing gravel and dust. I gave chase. When he reached the paved county road he was going 70 or 80 (a 35 mile an hour country lane). I caught up with him at his next stop, on another private one lane gravel lane, blocked his way when he came out and confronted him. He refused to engage in any manner of respectful discussion about his poor driving skills and total lack of regard for private property and the safety of the motorists and community. An Amazon contractor, the delivery van didn't have a front license plate, I tried to step behind and grab a picture of the rear plate and he tried to back over me. I dodged him and he backed into a tree.

I called the sheriff.

He called the sheriff.

We waited, he, after getting untangled from the tree, backed down the neighbors driveway out of sight, me, still blocking his path..

The sheriff came, I related my view of the recent events, he took my info and sent me on my way. He went to chat with the delivery driver, and I'm sure he had plenty to say to the punk.

A few days later there was a different contractor kid, driving int he same manner. This time I completely blocked the road. He was confused (read stoned), and failed to slow down quickly enough and ran into the bushed on the side of our lane. I walked up and he hadn't rolled the window up like the other jerk. I calmly began to express my position, and he interrupted me about running him off the road. I explained how I was going about 5 miles an hour when I came around the last bend in the road, and we were on one of the longest straight stretches. He had plenty of time to come to a safe stop, had he been going the posted MAXIMUM LIMIT of 15. He began to argue with me about how many stops he had to make. I told him that wasn't my concern.

He never really let me simple tell him that he was expected to drive safely, respectfully, and adhere to the wishes of this small country community of a few homes.

Jerk.

Amazon sucks.

And I doubt Jeff Bezos cares.

I don't care if they can deliver something to me on the same day I place the order.
How many stops he had to make.

That part points at much of the problem. The company thinks they are pushing for efficiency and create unrealistic schedules or measures of staff performance resulting in staff doing silly things, either how they drive or throwing things over the fence etc.

Some countries cultures do not allow extreme pushing on staff.
09-19-2020, 11:23 PM - 2 Likes   #80805
Pentaxian

Now this may sound blasphemous...but a Datsun Z with a trailer hitch...equalizer hitch preferrable....pulling a single axle (tandem axle better) stake trailer...or maybe a trailer with a 'cap' and roof racks.

To get into rugged, traction limited areas...the Z should be lifted and have oversize possibly mudder tires (depending on terrain). No 4WD could be an issue...but a HD Warn winch attached to the front should alleviate this issue.

A snorkel kit for fording streams...

I think I'm on to something here....no not on something...but on to something !

If there still is a space problem for loading larger game...well let us reverse back to the old days...strap the large game onto the front fender of the Z.
Have you seen the snorkel kit for a T54 tank. A bit less than 20 foot. The Russians do river bed crossings, saves on deploying river crossing bridges.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »