Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2020, 05:16 PM - 2 Likes   #80866
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I walked many miles as a land surveyor for 36 years.
Up hills, down hills, in the forest, through mud, etc., so I'm good not doing much walking in my golden years.
Have you ever wondered why they call it your "golden years"? I feel a bit rusty and creaky most mornings. Not very golden at all.

09-22-2020, 05:18 PM - 5 Likes   #80867
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
so I'm good not doing much walking in my golden years.
I'm with you, Bob. If I had a refrigerator and my easy-chair in the bathroom I'd get no exercise whatsoever.
Mrs. P, OTH, thinks that if you're not sleeping, you should be walking.
Relaxation on a vacation or other excursion? pft! I get up at 6:30. She sleeps until about 9:00 so after 2+ hours of boredom it's ATTEN-HUT! FOR---WARD MARCH!
(Okay, that may be just a wee bit of an exaggeration. )
09-22-2020, 05:28 PM - 4 Likes   #80868
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
"Baie dankie", sounds like "buy a donkey" but means "thanks a lot" (or "many thanks")

I tried greeting a Dutch-Norwegian colleague with a "Goeie more, meneer". He just looked at me and said "That's Afrikaans", then turned and left
Directly after WWII my dad was posted to Germany with the RAF. Most of the time at Celle in lower Saxony. He taught himself German, but spoke it with a Yorkshire accent. The typical response he got from the locals was "Bist du Hollander?"
09-22-2020, 07:50 PM - 5 Likes   #80869
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I have several daily walks - which makes none of them daily, really... But of the "regulars" I prefer the one where enter the woods a four-minute walk from home, continue along the less crowded paths up the nearest hill. The top of the hill is about 200 altitude metres above home. From there I go down a steep wooded slope next to a ski slope, ending up by a small lake.

Then I continue around the lake and up an old track that passes 50 mteres from an "informal" (as in illegally built) cabin. A number of these were built in the woods around the city after WWII as there was a severe housing shortage, especially for single people (as families were prioritised). In the 60ies the city authorities burnt down all the illegal cabins, except this one which was too well hidden. The owner continued living there until 1983, all the while walking 2 hours each way to work in town every day. It has now been restored as a memorial.

Inside the cabin.

I guess the windscreen wiper is for cleaning the windows.

This could need a cleaning.

Outdoor kitchen.

Then I go on to cross the downhill slopes and head back home along the paths. For some reason this is where I the most often spot deer, closest to the populated areas. Squirrels as well, of course. There's lots of moose dung all over, too, but I never see them. I guess they retreat deeper into the forest during the day.

The round trip takes about an hour and a bit.

(No K-3 was used in the taking of these photos!)
Now that is a wonderful walk, very scenic and some places of historical note to visit on the way, if you choose !

---------- Post added 09-22-20 at 10:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I walk the dog every morning, but it's not particularly interesting. Usually, on week days, I head North which means I walk along a rural road, then turn around and come back along the same road, but on the other side of the road.
About twice a week I take a bag and pick up Macdonalds wrappers and discarded caffeine drinks tins and/or bottles along the way, all the while muttering to myself about the types of people who think it's OK to throw their litter from their car windows.

On weekends, I often head South and then West along another rural road but this takes longer so I don't usually have time on a week day. As that road carries no through traffic there's not normally any rubbish for me to pick up.
You're a good man, Mark.

Walking the dog, getting exercising yourself, picking up littered debris along the way and venting (rightfully so ) through muttering....colourful muttering too I bet, ....about those who carelessly leave stuff strewn about the landscape.

It bugs me too, when I look out at the park and see old pizza boxes empty and usually crushed coke cans, etc...all over the parks I frequent. It is better than it used to be, say 50 years ago...but any amount is too much.

---------- Post added 09-22-20 at 10:09 PM ----------

I walked many miles as a land surveyor for 36 years.
Up hills, down hills, in the forest, through mud, etc., so I'm good not doing much walking in my golden years.
Did you see anything odd ...particularly out there in the forests....uncommon wildlife....animal or human ?

---------- Post added 09-22-20 at 10:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm with you, Bob. If I had a refrigerator and my easy-chair in the bathroom I'd get no exercise whatsoever.
I much prefer the regimen you describe .

I know my flaws, for as Dirty Harry once said, a good man knows his limitations...... and..... prime among my limitations is that I am a lazy sod at heart.

But walk I must, says my doc and so I try to get it out of the way, early in the morning...

09-22-2020, 09:27 PM - 6 Likes   #80870
Veteran Member

Sorry Bert but this just made me crack a rib I laughed so hard!

09-22-2020, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #80871
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Sorry Bert but this just made me crack a rib I laughed so hard!

If 2020 was a Bagpipe Tune. - YouTube
Whatcha ‘pologisin’ for???
09-22-2020, 10:15 PM - 3 Likes   #80872
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Recently gmail started asking why I am deleting the ads they send. I always answer inappropriate because I consider it inappropriate to burden me with an ad.

They still keep sending me ads.

Mob of weirdos.

09-22-2020, 11:12 PM - 3 Likes   #80873
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I may have recounted this before. Too bad, you are getting it again.
When I was working from home some years ago, a friend was telling me about his exercise regime having had a second heart attack.
He then asked, "You walk too, do you Rod?"
To which I answered, "Yes I do; I often walk from my office to the pantry".
He just shook his head.

I really should walk more, but I'm a little sedentary; trying to wean myself off PF and get out more - might even take some photos.
09-23-2020, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #80874
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I walk several miles every weekday, at The Big Shed. Lots of stairs in that walk, up and down the gangways through the tooling around the various parts of airplane assembly jigs. Some jigs are 4 or 5 stories tall.

I got more daily walking In up until last year, when I finally convinced my doctor that the pain I get from the artificial hip prosthesis makes walking long distances difficult. So with a state disabled parking pass I qualify for a gate pass, and can park inside the secured part of the factory, rather than the massive parking lots on the outside. That reduces the walking by about a mile or so.

Weekends I walk a lot too, from the house to the shop and back. Sometimes I also hike down the trail to the river, walk along the banks, and hike back up the trail to the house.

A few times a year I like to take advantage of one of the many trails in the Cascade foothills nearby. Although it didn’t happen this year, the neighbor and I usually make one or two trips down the river in our kayaks.
09-23-2020, 05:40 AM - 3 Likes   #80875
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
It bugs me too, when I look out at the park and see old pizza boxes empty
Les, PM me your address and I'll send you a fresh, whole pizza.
09-23-2020, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #80876
Pentaxian

Les, PM me your address and I'll send you a fresh, whole pizza.
Dang, right now, that pizza probably wouldn't make it across the border with all these Covid restrictions....and would be 'confiscated' by Canadian border officials.
09-23-2020, 08:06 AM - 2 Likes   #80877
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hungry Canadian border officials!
09-23-2020, 08:41 AM - 2 Likes   #80878
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Whatcha ‘pologisin’ for???
'Cus I like Bert's posts and Bert too and didn't want to offend him. It's just the cat strangling I find a bit hard to take. Others in my immediate family might disagree though as both my wife and one of her sisters played in the local pipe band during their high school years (my wife was a snare drummer and my S-i-L was a piper).
09-23-2020, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #80879
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like Bert too, but he understands this is a long-running joke. That and the unicycle.
09-23-2020, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #80880
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Hungry Canadian border officials!
Welcome to Canada, eh?