Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2020, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #81616
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
As of right now, I'm studying general engineering, but next year most likely started into the wonderful world of mechanical.
The world needs more Engineers!

11-03-2020, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #81617
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'm just grouchy as firing up the pizza oven in the rain is not much fun. I can use the gazebo but it somehow takes the fun out of it.
If being in the rain is not much fun, pray tell, what is the problem with using the gazebo? (ie in removing fun that is non-existent!)
11-03-2020, 03:10 PM - 3 Likes   #81618
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I have several Swiss Army knives but I'm still searching for a French Army knife to add to my knife collection.
The FAK has 4 corkscrews and one cheese slicing blade for tools.
11-03-2020, 03:18 PM - 2 Likes   #81619
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
If being in the rain is not much fun, pray tell, what is the problem with using the gazebo? (ie in removing fun that is non-existent!)
I find it somewhat depressing standing under the gazebo while the rain buckets down all around. Plus, the gazebo is blue (I had no choice in the colour options as the largest size gazebo, some 5x3m only came in blue) so lends a depressingly cold light tint to whatever you're doing under it. A bit like the light balance being off in photography. I find I can correct for that (a bit like Lightroom) by adding copious amounts of red wine, but while that helps with the colour correction, it does not seem to help the pizzas at all!

11-03-2020, 03:21 PM - 4 Likes   #81620
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
The FAK has 4 corkscrews and one cheese slicing blade for tools.
I thought that was a white flag?

Which reminds me of the French (or was it Italian?) tanks with four reverse gears and one forward gear. (The forward gear is for when the enemy comes from behind.)
11-03-2020, 03:37 PM - 2 Likes   #81621
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was the Italian tanks when I was at school.
But since I left school, it has become VERY politically incorrect, and I have not spoken of it lately.

(perhaps it was the Hittites who had those thanks?)
11-03-2020, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #81622
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
I was trying to be funny, Switzerland is landlocked, no navy.
The Swiss have a military marine which is a branch of their armed forces, They patrol lakes in boats. Now it's not a huge force and they probably don't have a Swiss Navy knife, but you never know.

Swiss Armed Forces - Wikipedia

11-03-2020, 03:53 PM - 3 Likes   #81623
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
It was the Italian tanks when I was at school.
But since I left school, it has become VERY politically incorrect, and I have not spoken of it lately.

(perhaps it was the Hittites who had those thanks?)
Of course, everything is politically incorrect now. John Cleese had an interesting talk on it recently. (With reference to the Fawlty Towers "The Germans" episode.)
11-03-2020, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #81624
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
One knife I wouldn't mind having, for collection purposes only would be the British Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife.
I have one of these, it's not the original, made by Wilkinson Sword. It's a P3, post WWII productionI bought it around 1992 in new condition. It's made by J. Nowill and sons Sheffield, England. I think I paid $25 for it. They are still selling then but now about $150. The sad thing is, you cannot own such a knife in England now.
11-03-2020, 04:57 PM - 2 Likes   #81625
Veteran Member

My everyday carry knife is a Swiss Army Mechanic.
To go with it I'm waiting on delivery of a S&W Freelancer. It's China made and pretty inexpensive but should serve its purpose for me.

11-03-2020, 05:00 PM - 3 Likes   #81626
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I thought that was a white flag?

Which reminds me of the French (or was it Italian?) tanks with four reverse gears and one forward gear. (The forward gear is for when the enemy comes from behind.)
The first time I heard that joke, was from German exchange students who stayed with us in 1964. (Referring to Italians) Political correctness was not a thing then. We played 5 a side football (soccer) with them as Jerries V Tommys. neither side was offended.
11-03-2020, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #81627
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My everyday carry knife is a Swiss Army Mechanic.
To go with it I'm waiting on delivery of a S&W Freelancer. It's China made and pretty inexpensive but should serve its purpose for me.
Pretty nice knife! I have a S&W Extreme Ops that I would carry at work over the summer. Nifty little knife and pretty sharp. My only real complaint is that the lock bar was too tight initially - I couldn't close it at all! Although I still prefer Kershaw equipment.
11-03-2020, 05:35 PM - 3 Likes   #81628
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
I have one of these, it's not the original, made by Wilkinson Sword. It's a P3, post WWII productionI bought it around 1992 in new condition. It's made by J. Nowill and sons Sheffield, England. I think I paid $25 for it. They are still selling then but now about $150. The sad thing is, you cannot own such a knife in England now.
Lucky man. They have quite an interesting history how they came to exist.

It is interesting to see how things have changed over the years. I started carrying a little jack knife as we used to call them , when I was about 11 years old. Just used it for everyday things, never as a weapon and out here, back then many young boys carried a small jack knife as I did. I don't recall any incidents back then, but it was a different world.
11-03-2020, 05:38 PM - 2 Likes   #81629
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
One knife I wouldn't mind having, for collection purposes only would be the British Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife.

Fairbairn?Sykes fighting knife - Wikipedia
You can make one Les. Pretty simple, actually.

And, the plans are available on the internet.

Sandy Hancock has been making Damascus steel knives as a hobby, maybe you could have him make the blade, then you could craft the handle.

A Canadian/Australian collaboration, eh?
11-03-2020, 05:38 PM - 3 Likes   #81630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Unlike other engineers, electrical engineers do not faint and give up at the sight of the square root of minus one.
But they poop them self and scream like little girls at the sight of a black snake in the shop ...