Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2020, 04:51 PM - 5 Likes   #81646
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
I was out running paper back & forth for 13 hours on our drive-thru last-minute election process...
We've been watching the results with interest. But I'll say no more on the topic lest it be political. My lips are sealed.

11-04-2020, 05:00 PM - 3 Likes   #81647
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Thankfully, I've had very few side effects from any of my treatments.
Does that include the Freddy's food?
11-04-2020, 05:09 PM - 2 Likes   #81648
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Defensive as the Swedes may be, it's not quite as bad as that. The S-Tank has two gears both forward and reverse and can go as fast backwards as forwards. Part of that is due to the fact that the thing is turret-less and all aiming is done by turning the vehicle or lifting/depressing the suspension. It has a very low profile, and while it's hard to fire while moving it has proven very precise - for the time. Pretty outdated and replaced long ago, though.
We have had some derogatory Swedish jokes that might have stemmed from something that that...
11-04-2020, 06:57 PM - 2 Likes   #81649
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
There is a Swedish tank where that is true, and the driver faces the back, the STANK.

It was designed for defensive fighting and withdrawal in a projected Soviet invasion.

The Swedish Military has had some pretty interesting military vehicles over the years.

They also had military motorcycles that could have skis attached as outriggers for winter conditions. The motorcycles were Czechoslovakian made Jawa 250 cc single cylinder motorcycles and they were based on ISDT (International Six Day Trials) bikes. The ISDT is a very challenging timed competition over very rugged and diverse terrain.

For many years Jawa motorcycles did extremely well in the ISDT and IMO would make an excellent base for a military motorcycle.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2866/9244998947_c3cbb28e24_b.jpg

11-04-2020, 08:08 PM - 4 Likes   #81650
dbs
Pentaxian

Medicines that cost $1,500 a mth.... no wonder you can't afford a K 3
11-04-2020, 08:15 PM - 3 Likes   #81651
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
derogatory Swedish jokes
Fortunately, this thread is dedicated to politically correctness through and through!
11-04-2020, 08:23 PM   #81652
dbs
Pentaxian

Nah this threads not political........ is it .. ?

11-04-2020, 09:49 PM - 3 Likes   #81653
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Nah this threads not political........ is it .. ?
Certainly not. That would be in contravention to the forum rules, and as a Canadian with standards to maintain, I must uphold my integrity to the highest level and be in accordance with the rules at all times.
11-04-2020, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #81654
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
We have had some derogatory Swedish jokes that might have stemmed from something that that...
Well, Swedish derogatory jokes can and will stem from just about anything - as they should! We are good neighbours, after all, aren't we?
11-04-2020, 11:55 PM   #81655
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Fortunately, this thread is dedicated to politically correctness through and through!
Good. Swedish jokes are ok, then.
11-05-2020, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #81656
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
We've been watching the results with interest. But I'll say no more on the topic lest it be political. My lips are sealed.
It certainly has been interesting... and tense at times.
11-05-2020, 01:15 AM - 7 Likes   #81657
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The Swedish Military has had some pretty interesting military vehicles over the years.

They also had military motorcycles that could have skis attached as outriggers for winter conditions. The motorcycles were Czechoslovakian made Jawa 250 cc single cylinder motorcycles and they were based on ISDT (International Six Day Trials) bikes. The ISDT is a very challenging timed competition over very rugged and diverse terrain.

For many years Jawa motorcycles did extremely well in the ISDT and IMO would make an excellent base for a military motorcycle.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2866/9244998947_c3cbb28e24_b.jpg
Indeed. They have been very good at making their own military equipment, anything from personal weapons, artillery and tanks to submarines and jet fighters. They have a sizeable weapons industry for a country of only 10 million people.

I think one of the more interesting projects is their Gotland class submarine propelled by air-independent Stirling engines. The combination of silent electric propulsion with long underwater endurance looks to be a killer - quite literally. At least they can't be totally useless as they managed to "sink" USS Ronald Reagan in wargames.

Last edited by savoche; 11-05-2020 at 03:49 AM.
11-05-2020, 02:53 AM   #81658
Veteran Member

The "Gotland" submarine has been raising more than a few eyebrows as the noise output is a lot lower than anything else out there, it's even quieter that diesel electric subs which is saying a lot. From what I read it has been "hired out" to a few countries to test their detection capabilities.

As for the "S" tank, it is more of a defensive than an offensive weapon. with no turret it has a very low silhouette which makes it very difficult to spot, so it will either hide behind something or quickly dig a his with the dozer blade on the front then wait for something from the other side to come along. The gun aiming moves the whole body in hydraulics, it lets off a round or two then scoots to another hide location and does the same again.

We had a bunch of Draken aircrew on an exchange many years ago, each airframe was slightly different as Saab would built in a feature while development was still continuing then when they came up with something better they would build that into the airframes currently being assembled, and so on. The plan was always to take the first airframes and build in the features the later ones had but they never seemed to have the opportunity
11-05-2020, 05:06 AM - 4 Likes   #81659
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Certainly not. That would be in contravention to the forum rules, and as a Canadian with standards to maintain, I must uphold my integrity to the highest level and be in accordance with the rules at all times.
It's Rupert's Tales from The Dungeon that has kept me in line.
11-05-2020, 07:12 AM - 3 Likes   #81660
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
It certainly has been interesting... and tense at times.
Some decisions are tough. Just this past Tuesday I was in line for something (I can't remember what) and for some strange reason I started wondering which, if I had to choose, would be worse; getting hit in the head with a ball peen hammer or a framing hammer.