Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2020, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #82246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
those with were either dead or seriously injured.
Tim, you might have missed out a 'not' there somewhere.

11-22-2020, 12:15 AM - 2 Likes   #82247
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Let me just quote myself:

Hey, if you can't get there quicker, you may as well do it in an airconditioned 2 ton steel box.
11-22-2020, 12:20 AM - 2 Likes   #82248
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
[B]We like our Traverse. It is 202 inches long, has a 121.9 inch wheelbase, 255/65-18 inch passenger series light truck tires, 7.5 inch wide rims,. It has a 1612 lb. payload, carries 7/8 passengers (ours is 7), and has a 9 speed transmission, a 3.6 liter, DOHC 4 valve per cylinder V6 engine.....
I had to do a fair bit of imperial / metric conversion with this sentence of your Les, but then you confused me with the 3.6 litre (oh, and yes, it's Litre not Liter!) at the end!
11-22-2020, 12:21 AM - 2 Likes   #82249
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Y'know I've been married for many years...and went out with a number of the fairer sex before that...but even with all this experience...I still can't say...that I really understand women.
An honest man!

11-22-2020, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #82250
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably described a lot of us old guys and you're right the pros have the facilities, tools, knowledge, experience and are less likely to bodge the maintenance then rank amateurs are.

Before I got my first car, I had three motorcycles and back then, it seemed the expectation by the manufacturers, was that the owner/rider did most of the maintenance work on his bike. In fact the owner manuals usually contained some detail as to how to perform basic service. As a result, I got used to doing basic maintenance on my motorcycles, then when I got my first car, a '61 V-Dub Beetle, I did a bit of it at first, then as I made more money, I just had the dealer do it.

Some of the maintenance required was a bit on the weird side.

In the '60's I recall adjusting my oil ratios in my '65 Yamaha YDS3 250cc 2 stroke, twin cylinder engine, by parking the bike in the shade, ripping a couple of rhubarb leaves from my grandma's garden, kick starting up the Yamaha engine, let it idle and watching the dual exhausts to ensure that the amount of blue oil smoke was coming out of both exhaust pipes was more or less equal. The motorcycle was one of the first with auto lubrication and my understanding that this procedure that I was following, was to ensure both cylinders were getting about equal amounts of 2 stroke oil squirted into each cylinder of the engine.

I must of done it right, as I never had any issues with that early sportsbike. The owner's manual didn't direct me to use to rhubarb leaves to use as a contrast against the exhaust pipes, to gauge the blue smoke, just two pieces of dark material...and rhubarb was all I had at hand.

Les (Bob #3)
You reminded me of a freeze plug replacement job on my 70's F100 with 351 Windsor. And yes, the one freeze plug was behind the flywheel. On the 27th of December in 40degC (104F) weather. Yes, these days, I prefer to pay others to work on cars.
11-22-2020, 12:28 AM   #82251
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I have found getting the service done by the dealership is required to maintain the warranty under the conditions of the warranty.
True, unfortunately. Especially when the local dealership for a particular brand of vehicle's service department is particularly useless and it's better to drive to the next closest dealer, some 90 minutes away.
11-22-2020, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #82252
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
With all this oil around I think its ....

BACON

time

Dave

11-22-2020, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #82253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
True, unfortunately. Especially when the local dealership for a particular brand of vehicle's service department is particularly useless and it's better to drive to the next closest dealer, some 90 minutes away.
In AU we are not obliged to use a dealer for service and the warranty is maintained. The mechanic who does the work has to tick all the boxes and sign the service book. I am not sure of the full details and I don’t know whether it is because of some anti restraint of trade legislation or what. My practice has been to use the dealers when possible when still in the warranty period and then decide if I am happy with the service or should look for another mechanic.

Last edited by rod_grant; 11-22-2020 at 04:13 PM.
11-22-2020, 06:34 AM - 4 Likes   #82254
Pentaxian

I had to do a fair bit of imperial / metric conversion with this sentence of your Les, but then you confused me with the 3.6 litre (oh, and yes, it's Litre not Liter!) at the end!
I'm an example of a fellow who went from Kindergarten through grade 12 and learned just the British Imperial system of measurement, as that was what we used over here at the time. Then when I hit my early 20's the metric system was introduced in Canada and I had to pick it up in day to day living. The odd thing is that while I can use the metric system and often times do, I think in terms of the Imperial system....inches, feet, cubic inches MPG, etc. and am in the habit of getting metric info which I then convert in my head to Imperial, as that is how I process things .

I'll see a new motorcycle with a 1000cc engine and there I am...thinking 1000cc, why that's 61 cubic inches...that is a lot of cubes and I bet that engine puts out a lot of ft. lbs. of torque (Newton Meters).

Or when I go to the hardware store and get myself a pound of nails, or a couple of 2 X 4's of lumber or can I fit in an 8 X 10 of plywood into the back of my SUV. For a guy my age it is a bit of a mix and match world up there in the old brain case. And...for some reason in Canada, the construction industry seems still to deal in the Imperial system, not the metric system.

In the end, I kind of like the way my brain does business, and probably another reason is throughout my life , the two largest trading partners were for the most part the USA and the UK and they both used inches, feet, pounds, etc. and therefore it is important for Canadians to know both systems....but yes when I talk about measurement...I usually speak in a forked tongue....one fork is Imperial, the other fork is metric.

---------- Post added 11-22-20 at 07:38 AM ----------

An honest man!
An honest man who knows his limitations.
11-22-2020, 08:13 AM - 3 Likes   #82255
Veteran Member

Les (Bob #3)
We need to get this Bob thing sorted out.
Let's go by age, oldest first.
I'm Bob #1
Bob/Les #2
Racer Bob #3
Bert Bob #4
Did I miss any Bobs?
11-22-2020, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #82256
Pentaxian

This coming Monday, I will be able to get behind the wheel again. Now I know there are covid restrictions about non essential travel, but in my case I have an essential travel. I have to return the cooling machine back to the medical supply house I rented it from on that day. The medical supply house will do curbside pickup.

Another patient requires it. My surgeon prescribed it to assist in healing my new right shoulder.

But then back to the house. Not much of a trip but the first driving experience in 6 weeks for me. Hoping it snows, want to try our AWD. Looking forward to Monday.
My day to be disabled is Thursday, I have my sling and know how to put it one apparently I'll wake up Thursday afternoon with it already in place.

One of the joys of living where I lie is there is no Covid here, and won't be as long as we can keep all the "tourists" fleeing the lock downs out.
You're free to not wear your mask, where you live, not where I live.
11-22-2020, 08:28 AM - 3 Likes   #82257
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Use the 450 pound fatassed door swinger though, not the svelte 200 pound flatbed driver.
I know that driver.
She drives for Magnum.
11-22-2020, 08:32 AM - 4 Likes   #82258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
everyone here is well educated, well read, intelligent and intuitive.
Ya sure 'bout dat???

11-22-2020, 08:38 AM - 4 Likes   #82259
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
We need to get this Bob thing sorted out.
Let's go by age, oldest first.
I'm Bob #1
Bob/Les #2
Racer Bob #3
Bert Bob #4
Did I miss any Bobs?
Bob, Bob, Bob,

Bob, Bob, Boberan . . . . .

11-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #82260
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico