Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2020, 04:20 PM - 6 Likes   #82396
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
A younger Racer, aka Bob #3:
Trosley is a CarToon genius. I've followed his work since the days of CARtoons, Hot Rod Cartoons, and CycleToons magazines.

And I'm a sucker for a Willys.

Here are a couple I saw in town last year.

One with a Hemi.

One with a Mouse.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 11-25-2020 at 04:51 PM.
11-25-2020, 04:23 PM - 3 Likes   #82397
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Look at this clever gadget!

The Bush Winch - YouTube
I understand ice road transport drivers in northern Canada use a similar idea. Think they wrap a tow strap around the outer part of a wheel tire and the other part of the heavy srap to a robust tree and pull the truck sideways out of the snow.

I guess if you're in the middle of nowhere....Australian Bush of Canadian wilderness...who you gonna call.

But that winch idea in the video is a very good one that is easily attached to your vehicle. Just the thing for the off road 4WD enthusiast.

I noticed in the comments that one wag said that he carried something similar in his truck when he got stuck that was very effective getting the truck...unstuck...but he called it the bush wench.

Geez, hope my wife doesn't read my posts.

Last edited by lesmore49; 11-25-2020 at 04:55 PM.
11-25-2020, 04:29 PM - 3 Likes   #82398
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I don't know how office works do it. Being at a desk 8 hours a day is killing my back. Especially when you add another 4 hours for homework and study...
You need one of these.

It forces good posture, and takes the loads off of the lower back. I've used one before, they work.
11-25-2020, 04:31 PM - 4 Likes   #82399
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And I think I read somewhere that chimps can kill for fun too.
I have too.
Dammit! My post was for dramatic effect and I'd hoped that no one else would catch that.
I forgot about our resident whiz kid.

11-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #82400
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You need one of these.

It forces good posture, and takes the loads off of the lower back. I've used one before, they work.
Hmm. May be something to try indeed.
11-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #82401
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I have too.
Dammit! My post was for dramatic effect and I'd hoped that no one else would catch that.
I forgot about our resident whiz kid.
11-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #82402
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I remember reading, some years ago, about the bear's sense of smell.

"Bears are thought to have the best sense of smell of any animal on earth. For example, the average dog’s sense of smell is 100 times better than a humans. A blood hound’s is 300 times better. A bear’s sense of smell is 7 times better than a blood hound’s or 2,100 times better than a human."
A Bear's Sense of Smell - Section Hikers Backpacking Blog
So their nose must be very sensitive then.

One could deduce from that information that if, one should find oneself face to face with a bear, a hard punch, the very hardest one could muster, square on the bear's snot locker, might buy one just enough time to beat a hasty retreat.

11-25-2020, 05:13 PM   #82403
Pentaxian

Hmm. May be something to try indeed.
My wife has a bad back and here is the chair that we got. It made a big difference to her and was recommended by a Occupational Therapist who did an assessment on her needs. Other posters have suggested look at your ergonomics of computer, etc. on your work desk...you may need a lowered keyboard, etc...which was suggested by my Physio therapist.

You may need professional help, ...I mean an assessment first to determine what your needs are and what will work best for you, given your particular work needs.

Saddle Stool - Ergonomic Office Seat | Humanscale
11-25-2020, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #82404
Pentaxian

Trosley is a CarToon genius. I've followed his work since the days of CARtoons, Hot Rod Cartoons, and CycleToons magazines.

And I'm a sucker for a Willys.

Here are a couple I saw in town last year.

One with a Hemi.

One with a Mouse.

I like the Willys Americar 2 door coupe too. There used to be a black one, beautiful paint job, set up as a Gasser, out here. If I recall, it had, I think a first generation Hemi with the old GMC style blower. Don't think he dragged it any. mostly used as a stunning street rod for cruises, etc.
11-25-2020, 05:59 PM - 2 Likes   #82405
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Look at this clever gadget!

The Bush Winch - YouTube
I want one!
11-25-2020, 06:08 PM - 4 Likes   #82406
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So their nose must be very sensitive then.

One could deduce from that information that if, one should find oneself face to face with a bear, a hard punch, the very hardest one could muster, square on the bear's snot locker, might buy one just enough time to beat a hasty retreat.
I liked your 357 idea more.
11-25-2020, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #82407
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
I want one!
Could be handy for use in your Jeep Wrangler.
11-25-2020, 09:13 PM - 5 Likes   #82408
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
...speaking of bears...
Polar Bears on the hunt.
Attached Images

11-25-2020, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #82409
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
My wife has a bad back and here is the chair that we got. It made a big difference to her and was recommended by a Occupational Therapist who did an assessment on her needs. Other posters have suggested look at your ergonomics of computer, etc. on your work desk...you may need a lowered keyboard, etc...which was suggested by my Physio therapist.

You may need professional help, ...I mean an assessment first to determine what your needs are and what will work best for you, given your particular work needs.

Saddle Stool - Ergonomic Office Seat | Humanscale
Hi Les

Its an awful lot for a backless chair...

Professional help for Bertie mmmmmm , well he does play the bagpipes after all...

Dave
11-25-2020, 10:53 PM   #82410
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Les

Its an awful lot for a backless chair...

Professional help for Bertie mmmmmm , well he does play the bagpipes after all...

Dave
They are pricey, new. I remember my student days...albeit faintly as that was 45-50 years ago....money was tight for me, back then as it generally is for many post secondary students. But with an engineering mind, I wonder if something could be built from scratch from some wood, upholstery foam, vinyl covering....or perhaps a used chair.

I think some universities if you are a member of the student union (used to be mandatory in my day) was that they provided some services. I'm sure every student union benefit plans are different, but I wonder if Bert's have coverage for OT or PT....or if his GP could recommend what he needs in terms of a chair and workplace mods to alleviate back pain.