Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2020, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #82411
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
...speaking of bears...
Polar Bears on the hunt.
We have polar bears here , in the northern part of our province at Churchill, Manitoba on shores of Hudson's Bay. You can holiday with them, if so inclined. You can bring your Pentax DSLR, although I would recommend a long reach telephoto lens.

Churchill Polar Bear Tours | Natural Habitat Adventures

11-26-2020, 12:55 AM - 3 Likes   #82412
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
...speaking of bears...
Polar Bears on the hunt.
They are drawn to the crunchy outside and the soft, chewy center.
11-26-2020, 12:55 AM - 3 Likes   #82413
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
With that sense of smell, just imagine if you could train a bear to be a tracker dog.
How about a drug detection bear? They may not be good at indicating by barking, but a good whack should do
11-26-2020, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #82414
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Actually switched to a standing desk Monday, in response to the pain I've had these last few weeks. So far (pretty much 30 hrs or so) of working there with monitors at eye level, external keyboard, no slouching, etc, I feel less pain already. And more awake through lectures and whatnot. As far as keeping desk surfaces clean... adding a second desk solved that problem
Yep. Standing up will be easier on the back. I had a back injury a few years ago and the cure was to not sit. The best would be to walk, the second best to stand (or lie down) - but never to sit. Of course, after a few weeks of standing my knees and hips weren't too happy. Frequent breaks is the answer. Go for a short run, do some back exercises on the floor, find some stairs to walk.

I've surrounded myself with desks; one for the screen and keyboard, three for putting stuff on. All four are full of stuff

11-26-2020, 01:35 AM - 3 Likes   #82415
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So their nose must be very sensitive then.

One could deduce from that information that if, one should find oneself face to face with a bear, a hard punch, the very hardest one could muster, square on the bear's snot locker, might buy one just enough time to beat a hasty retreat.
It could work. It might earn you a bear paw uppercut, too, but it could work.

There are plenty of stories where joggers are attacked by moose. I remember one such case where a woman was knocked to the ground by a moose bull, the bull standing over her. She was quite used to big farm animals and knew how sensitive their noses are, so she stuck thumb and forefinger into its nostrils and pinched as hard as she could. It worked. She got away with a few bruises.
11-26-2020, 06:43 AM - 2 Likes   #82416
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
How about a drug detection bear? They may not be good at indicating by barking, but a good whack should do
Perhaps bears could be employed somehow in the interrogation process ? Just a thought.
11-26-2020, 06:47 AM - 2 Likes   #82417
Pentaxian

It could work. It might earn you a bear paw uppercut, too, but it could work.

There are plenty of stories where joggers are attacked by moose. I remember one such case where a woman was knocked to the ground by a moose bull, the bull standing over her. She was quite used to big farm animals and knew how sensitive their noses are, so she stuck thumb and forefinger into its nostrils and pinched as hard as she could. It worked. She got away with a few bruises.
Punching a bear in the nose, or giving a mountain lion a Three Stooges tweak in the eyes.....might be effective as long as your aim is still good and you don't go low, when you should of gone high , miss the mark and find your fist or your fingers in the mouth of the predator...amongst the teeth.

11-26-2020, 07:14 AM - 5 Likes   #82418
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Happy Thanksgiving! (to those celebrating)
Staying cautious here, just me, Mrs Bob, and Brooke the lab.
It was our year to host, but instead of a whole big bird on the grill it will be a turkey breast.

What's cookin' today bachelor Racer #3?
11-26-2020, 07:22 AM - 4 Likes   #82419
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

11-26-2020, 07:31 AM - 3 Likes   #82420
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Happy Thanksgiving! (to those celebrating)
Staying cautious here, just me, Mrs Bob, and Brooke the lab.
It was our year to host, but instead of a whole big bird on the grill it will be a turkey breast.

What's cookin' today bachelor Racer #3?
A happy Thanksgiving to Americans !

We had ours (Canadian) Thanksgiving earlier (October) and it was different for sure, with covid restrictions, , but we used Skype to communicate with those we generally celebrate Thanksgiving with on this day.

Les
11-26-2020, 07:59 AM - 4 Likes   #82421
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK dudes, I'm going off-line and headed for shoulder surgery, entering the great unknown, unknown how long the rehab will take, unknown how long it will be before I can lift a camera, unknown how long before I can post again (actually , even unknown how long before I can take shower again.... poor Tess.)
11-26-2020, 08:27 AM - 2 Likes   #82422
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope everything goes well, Norm

We'll keep a candle in the window for you.
11-26-2020, 08:33 AM - 2 Likes   #82423
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
OK dudes, I'm going off-line and headed for shoulder surgery, entering the great unknown, unknown how long the rehab will take, unknown how long it will be before I can lift a camera, unknown how long before I can post again (actually , even unknown how long before I can take shower again.... poor Tess.)
Good luck Norm, hope all goes as planned, see you here again soon, all those pleasantries, etc.
11-26-2020, 08:36 AM - 2 Likes   #82424
Veteran Member

Yep. Standing up will be easier on the back. I had a back injury a few years ago and the cure was to not sit. The best would be to walk, the second best to stand (or lie down) - but never to sit. Of course, after a few weeks of standing my knees and hips weren't too happy. Frequent breaks is the answer. Go for a short run, do some back exercises on the floor, find some stairs to walk.

I've surrounded myself with desks; one for the screen and keyboard, three for putting stuff on. All four are full of stuff
Yep, taking breaks and moving is definitely mandatory. Pull up bars don't take up a lot of room and are quite useful for example.

Part of the problem with desk space, is I need a desk just to hold all my books...
11-26-2020, 08:37 AM - 2 Likes   #82425
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I think some universities if you are a member of the student union (used to be mandatory in my day) was that they provided some services. I'm sure every student union benefit plans are different, but I wonder if Bert's have coverage for OT or PT....or if his GP could recommend what he needs in terms of a chair and workplace mods to alleviate back pain.
Luckily I have very good access to such services if required, though hoping to avoid them unless absolutely needed