Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2020, 03:06 PM - 3 Likes   #82486
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Reminds me of a story.

I recall making a long trip (850 miles or so) across the prairies back in 1969 in the summer. It was a hot couple of days and I was driving my '69 VW Beetle.....................................................................
You don't, by chance, have a pet squirrel do you?

11-28-2020, 04:16 PM - 3 Likes   #82487
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
You don't, by chance, have a pet squirrel do you?
I do...I do.

I've had him since '69. He was a highway travel option at the VW dealer. He came with a big squirrel cage wheel that was connected to the Volkswagen's drive wheels in the back of the car. The car (and squirrel) were cheap to run on a 850 mile trip....about 25 pounds of sunflower seeds, as I recall. Now some people back then said I was nuts....

Here's a video of him....

11-28-2020, 07:22 PM - 2 Likes   #82488
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I held off getting a haircut, due to the virus, until May 11 when I had it pretty much buzzed.
Made it until Nov. 11 before getting another one.
I've not spent a sent on haircuts since somewhere in the mid 1990's. Occasionally, Annie trims a bit of the bottom.
11-28-2020, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #82489
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Squirrels eh .. well their tail fur sure makes a nice watercolour brush

11-28-2020, 07:51 PM - 3 Likes   #82490
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've not spent a sent on haircuts since somewhere in the mid 1990's. Occasionally, Annie trims a bit of the bottom.
Best investment we ever made was a set of heir clipper, I get a No 2 cut every month or so and saved a fortune over 30 years. Can't recall the last time I actually paid for a haircut...
11-28-2020, 10:23 PM - 6 Likes   #82491
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I do...I do.

I've had him since '69. He was a highway travel option at the VW dealer. He came with a big squirrel cage wheel that was connected to the Volkswagen's drive wheels in the back of the car. The car (and squirrel) were cheap to run on a 850 mile trip....about 25 pounds of sunflower seeds, as I recall. Now some people back then said I was nuts....

Here's a video of him....

SQUIRREL RUNNING IN HIS CAGE - YouTube
I once rented a Kia in San Jose that was powered by one of those.
11-28-2020, 10:37 PM - 4 Likes   #82492
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ou're right and my way is to digress, rattle on....press on in divergent direction and always at the same time.
By the way, Les (Bob#?) I was just thinking after reading some of your stories, perhaps you should state each one with "In memory of Rupert"
You have taken over as the story teller of the thread. (And we are glad to say so.)

11-28-2020, 11:16 PM - 2 Likes   #82493
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
I know the feeling.

I drove my Mother in Law's small Nissan sedan and it could barely hit 50 mph and couldn't get out of it's own way when 'accelerating' . I know it was rated at just about 120 hp or something, but still it was a slug of massive and unexpected proportion.

I flipped the hood, took off the air cleaner and it was plugged right up. Gray Squirrels had made a nest by the air cleaner entrance, with branches, leaves from her oak trees and they had also packed some nice bedding material by taking the insulation off the inside top of the engine hood and made some comfy bed for their young squirrel family.

So I suppose the engine power wasn't generated by gray squirrels in this case, but the power of that Nissan was certainly impacted by these pesky rodents.

Her car insurance paid for the repairs...think it came under rodent vandalism or something.

The zip of the Nissan returned after it was cleaned up and repaired by the garage.
11-28-2020, 11:32 PM - 4 Likes   #82494
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
By the way, Les (Bob#?) I was just thinking after reading some of your stories, perhaps you should state each one with "In memory of Rupert"
You have taken over as the story teller of the thread. (And we are glad to say so.)
Thanks Rod, but my stories will never be as good as Rupert. He was one of one, and then they broke the mold.

I recall one of the times I communicated with him in the PF, and we were talking about BSA 650cc twin motorcycles. He had ridden one in his younger days, if I recall, it was a Lightning model, and I had , which I almost bought. experience riding a '67 BSA 650 Spitfire.

A lot of our conversation in this post, was focused on a rather arcane subject...the peculiar 'hunting' idle that a high performance, 1960's BSA motorcycle twin displayed. This characteristic engine idle was due, mostly to the hot cams that these motorcycle used, but if you were a motorcycle enthusiast back in the '60's you could readily ID a high performance BSA twin by ear alone, just listening to the idle, without having to see it. He knew a lot about a lot of stuff and was always interesting.

He is missed.

BSA Spitfire - Wikipedia
11-29-2020, 05:10 AM - 4 Likes   #82495
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

See what you did there, Les? You turned a three word post, “he is missed” into a motor cycle story. Well done.
11-29-2020, 06:57 AM - 5 Likes   #82496
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
I know the feeling.

I drove my Mother in Law's small Nissan sedan and it could barely hit 50 mph and couldn't get out of it's own way when 'accelerating' .
I've got you both beat in the gutless wonder car department.
I bought my first car brand new off the showroom floor (literally). I was still in High School.
You want to talk about power, or lack there of? How about a two cylinder 600cc engine, 10" wheels, and a red line of 63 mph?
My '72 Honda Coupe.
11-29-2020, 06:59 AM - 3 Likes   #82497
Veteran Member

Yep, that's why I was teasing Les, Bob #2, about having a pet squirrel, and it was also meant as a compliment.
He and Rupert seem to remember everything from birth forward.
11-29-2020, 07:03 AM - 3 Likes   #82498
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
My '72 Honda Coupe.
You sure looked young, Jim......................back in '72.
11-29-2020, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #82499
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Best investment we ever made was a set of heir clipper, I get a No 2 cut every month or so and saved a fortune over 30 years. Can't recall the last time I actually paid for a haircut...
Yep, same here. I buzz my head every three weeks or so, next thing to shaving. I don't care how it looks, I just go for low maintenance. A good clipper easily lasts 10 years.
11-29-2020, 07:40 AM - 4 Likes   #82500
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way, Les (Bob#?)
Would a 10 bob note help?