Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2020, 11:09 AM - 2 Likes   #82576
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Comes from down under, eh?
You would think so, but no, he was born and raised right here in the Evergreen State.

What I don’t get is he served in the Navy, on an aircraft carrier, has been all over the globe, and has traveled worldwide on commercial airliners.

12-01-2020, 11:17 AM - 4 Likes   #82577
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
When I first came to the US in 1985, my employer arranged for a realtor to drive us around the area (Orange County California) As we drove through one area in Garden Grove, she told us, "these are old houses" They looked like typical California bungalow style homes so i asked her when they were built. She told me " back in the fifties"
I has to chuckle, in UK anything built after WWII was considered "new" I grew up in houses built in the 1890ies. One of my favorite pubs on the Yorkshire moors, the Strines Inn, was built in 1275 and is still open.
Back then they built things right. None of this OSB or particle board, or “engineered lumber” made from chipped wood.

Real wood.

From real trees.
12-01-2020, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #82578
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Well... This is why I never sell anything. Two testies is enough.
My grandmother used to say...learn from mistakes of others...although when I think about it, I don't think she was thinking about these kind of deals .
12-01-2020, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #82579
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
One of the QA (quality inspector) in my shop at The Big Shed believes the world is flat.

So much so that he will argue it endlessly, and speaks very disparagingly about anyone who doesn’t subscribe to his view. He even talks about a camera that proves the world is flat. A Canon camera. I looked it up, he is all wet.

I think he is an idiot.

But he is a very good QA. Knows the build, the drawings and specifications very well.
You should trust your instincts and make sure that tinfoil trilby is to hand.

12-01-2020, 11:55 AM - 2 Likes   #82580
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
... I haven't touched her vacuum cleaner since.
Well played, sir; very well played indeed!
12-01-2020, 12:07 PM - 4 Likes   #82581
Pentaxian

When I first came to the US in 1985, my employer arranged for a realtor to drive us around the area (Orange County California) As we drove through one area in Garden Grove, she told us, "these are old houses" They looked like typical California bungalow style homes so i asked her when they were built. She told me " back in the fifties"
I has to chuckle, in UK anything built after WWII was considered "new" I grew up in houses built in the 1890ies. One of my favorite pubs on the Yorkshire moors, the Strines Inn, was built in 1275 and is still open.
In the 1980's my wife and I went to an old English pub, somewhere in the south of England. I can't remember the name, think it was something like 'Ye Olde'...etc..

It was built many centuries ago and apparently it was a rest stop, for pilgrims and rumour was that Chaucer slept there. Inside it looked very old ....ceilings very low, huge oak beams stretched across the ceilings.....the entrance ways ways to the washroom, were very low and narrow.....I had to sidle up, bend down to gain access.

I almost knocked myself out inadvertently.....I got up to get something for my wife and stood completely up. I'm 6' 3" + ....and as mentioned before the ceilings were very low. I struck my head on an ancient oak beam and went down to the ground. My wife said she could hear a thud.....some said a crack. A few of the regulars started laughing...and my wife overheard one say...'looks like old Nell (their name for this beam) got another tall tourist.'. "
12-01-2020, 12:57 PM - 3 Likes   #82582
Pentaxian

The earth must be flat. Proof? Of course I have proof.
If it were round all of the eggs the Easter Bunny leaves would just keep rolling down hill until they reached the South Pole and fell off into space.
Duh!
Ohh so that must explain why everything keeps rolling off of my tables... Not because I am unable to make a level table or anything like that....

12-01-2020, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #82583
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My place is very new, built in late 1990s. The nearest other houses are Victorian, and I do not mean the place.
12-01-2020, 01:17 PM - 2 Likes   #82584
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be an awesome car to own and drive.

But I wouldn’t give up a body part for one.
What about a kidney? Or, a child's kidney?
12-01-2020, 01:18 PM - 2 Likes   #82585
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
When I went looking for a pic to post, and saw this one, I said to myself Mark will like this!
There's right and then there's right. You're right Bob!
12-01-2020, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #82586
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the QA (quality inspector) in my shop at The Big Shed believes the world is flat.

So much so that he will argue it endlessly, and speaks very disparagingly about anyone who doesn’t subscribe to his view. He even talks about a camera that proves the world is flat. A Canon camera. I looked it up, he is all wet.

I think he is an idiot.

But he is a very good QA. Knows the build, the drawings and specifications very well.
How does he reconcile his belief system with the navigation systems that keep your product in the sky?
12-01-2020, 02:01 PM - 3 Likes   #82587
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Studies have shown that men are actually better at using a vacuum cleaner than women. They think it is related to the whole power tool thing. My wife uses one of those Rainbow vacuum cleaners. Got to say it works great and had for over 15 years now. I have replaced a few parts but that is it.
That's interesting and it makes sense.
I'm sure you'll understand though, when I say I won't be passing that on to Mrs. P.
12-01-2020, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #82588
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The earth must be flat. Proof? Of course I have proof.
If it were round all of the eggs the Easter Bunny leaves would just keep rolling down hill until they reached the South Pole and fell off into space.
Duh!
If the earth was flat, cats would have already pushed everything off the edge.

As to doing dishes. Grew up one of five kids. Since mom cooked it was up to us to clean up. We had two teams to do the dishes. No other activity was allowed until the dished were done. The only way out was on your birthday. If your shift was on your birthday you got a free pass.

Never had an electric dishwasher in any house we have owned. I have always helped my wife do them. The after dinner dished was when we talked about things that needed talking about. When the kids were little we would be doing the dishes the kids would hang out in the kitchen. Simple way to make them scatter to the winds so we could talk was to ask them if they wanted to help.

I could never figure out the allure of a dishwasher. We can do the cleanup and have everything put away in a lot less time than waiting for the dishwasher to run it's cycle. Uses a lot less energy too. Now with only two of us, not having one makes even more sense.
12-01-2020, 02:12 PM - 3 Likes   #82589
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's interesting and it makes sense.
I'm sure you'll understand though, when I say I won't be passing that on to Mrs. P.
Yep. When I got laid off from Kodak in 1998 I got a got a part time job at Autozone while looking for full time work. One night I came home and told my wife that I had to mop the whole store. Her response was to tell me that since I was already warmed up, the kitchen floor could use a good mopping too.
12-01-2020, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #82590
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I could never figure out the allure of a dishwasher. We can do the cleanup and have everything put away in a lot less time than waiting for the dishwasher to run it's cycle. Uses a lot less energy too. Now with only two of us, not having one makes even more sense.
I don't get it either. I do the dishes every night. It takes no longer, nor more effort, than loading the dishwasher we had when I was a kid.
The house we have had one when we bought it. We gave it away without ever using it.