Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2020, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #82591
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What about a kidney? Or, a child's kidney?
One of yours perhaps?

12-01-2020, 02:37 PM - 3 Likes   #82592
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How does he reconcile his belief system with the navigation systems that keep your product in the sky?
One of the funniest recent things about flat-earth belief is the poor stiff who has a YouTube channel about it and someone - probably a lottery winner - bought him a ring laser gyroscope which is used in inertial guidance systems. Switching on the new shiny, he thought this would dispel forever the heretical notion the earth spins on its axis, because this $20,000 instrument can detect the smallest movement of that sort. To his immense embarassment, the device recorded a steady 15 degree per hour drift, the exact amount of rotation of this big, round, real Earth. Just as he was being filmed for a Netflix film about flat earthery. Oops.

12-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #82593
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

How does he reconcile his belief system with the navigation systems that keep your product in the sky?
I tried to engage him in a conversation regarding just that and he went on a long, boring diatribe about how airplanes never land South of the Equator.

Guys like this are impossible to reason with.
12-01-2020, 02:49 PM   #82594
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
One of the funniest recent things about flat-earth belief is the poor stiff who has a YouTube channel about it and someone - probably a lottery winner - bought him a ring laser gyroscope which is used in inertial guidance systems. Switching on the new shiny, he thought this would dispel forever the heretical notion the earth spins on its axis, because this $20,000 instrument can detect the smallest movement of that sort. To his immense embarassment, the device recorded a steady 15 degree per hour drift, the exact amount of rotation of this big, round, real Earth. Just as he was being filmed for a Netflix film about flat earthery. Oops.

Bob Knodel & His Ring Laser Gyroscope Experiment - YouTube
That is hilarious! $20,000 later!

12-01-2020, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #82595
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
One of yours perhaps?
I'll ask, but I suspect the answer may be no. My kids are too old and wise now. I should have tricked them into giving up a kidney when they were small and could be bribed with Lego.
12-01-2020, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #82596
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried to engage him in a conversation regarding just that and he went on a long, boring diatribe about how airplanes never land South of the Equator.

Guys like this are impossible to reason with.
...about how airplanes never land South of the Equator.
CPT, EZE, WLG, JHB, AKL, SYD and countless others.
12-01-2020, 03:01 PM - 4 Likes   #82597
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I could never figure out the allure of a dishwasher. We can do the cleanup and have everything put away in a lot less time than waiting for the dishwasher to run it's cycle. Uses a lot less energy too. Now with only two of us, not having one makes even more sense.
I could never figure it out either until my wife insisted we have one when I totally rebuilt the kitchen in 2002 - but, since then, I am very glad that we did (even though we've had to have a couple of replacement Bosch ones since then as we have very "hard" water here in London!) because we (mainly "I" !) load the used plates, etc., as we use them during the day, put a tablet in the m/c in the evening and turn it on to run overnight (usually on a 3hr 15 min eco-cycle) - and then I simply unload and stack all the clean stuff in the morning

PS: the dishwasher was (will ever be again?) a real boon when people come around to Xmas meals etc., as we can clean one lot of used "stuff" whilst sitting down to the next part(s!) of long meals and thus generating even more "stuff" as that can be a problem is the relatively small houses - and thus kitchens - that most of us have here in the UK.

Last edited by jeallen01; 12-01-2020 at 03:14 PM.
12-01-2020, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #82598
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You would think so, but no, he was born and raised right here in the Evergreen State.

What I don’t get is he served in the Navy, on an aircraft carrier, has been all over the globe, and has traveled worldwide on commercial airliners.
Hi Racer

I guess he reckoned that where ever you are in the world at that moment it is flat ... hence the world is flat !

BACON

Dave
12-01-2020, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #82599
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I could never figure it out either until my wife insisted we have one when I totally rebuilt the kitchen in 2002 - but, since then, I am very glad that we did (even though we've had to have a couple of replacement Bosch ones since then as we have very "hard" water here in London!) because we (mainly "I" !) load the used plates, etc., as we use them during the day, put a tablet in the m/c in the evening and turn it on to run overnight (usually on a 3hr 15 min eco-cycle) - and then I simply unload and stack all the clean stuff in the morning

PS: the dishwasher was (will ever be again?) a real boon when people come around to Xmas meals etc., as we can clean one lot of used "stuff" whilst sitting down to the next part(s!) of long meals and thus generating even more "stuff" as that can be a problem is the relatively small houses - and thus kitchens - that most of us have here in the UK.
I agree, even though I pretty much wash my own dishes right after eating.
Mrs Bob mostly shoves everything in the dw.
They claim a dw uses less water than hand washing. How Stuff Works says:

"Although dishwashers are watertight, they don't actually fill with water. Just a small basin at the bottom fills up. There, heating elements heat the water to 130 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. ... The heating element at the bottom of the dishwasher heats the air inside to help the dishes dry."
12-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #82600
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

(usually on a 3hr 15 min eco-cycle) - and then I simply unload and stack all the clean stuff in the morning
A 3 hour 15 minute cycle?

Why does it take over 3 hours to do something that a human can do in 15 minutes?
12-01-2020, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #82601
Veteran Member

A lot of Illinois, in our area, is pretty darn flat, we call folks over there flatlanders.
Southeast Missouri is very flat, it used to be mostly swamps.
12-01-2020, 03:30 PM - 2 Likes   #82602
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

CPT, EZE, WLG, JHB, AKL, SYD and countless others.
I asked him why no one has ever photographed the edges, and why doesn’t the water on the oceans spill off into the void of space.

He changed the subject.
12-01-2020, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #82603
Pentaxian

A 3 hour 15 minute cycle?

Why does it take over 3 hours to do something that a human can do in 15 minutes?
According to Bosch and their service engineers, the 3 hrs 15 min cycle is the most eco-friendly, i.e. uses the lowest amount of energy & water and - frankly - I'd done enough handwashing of dishes and so on over the 35+ yrs before the d/w was installed, and then realised that I'd simply "had enough" of doing that!
12-01-2020, 03:46 PM - 4 Likes   #82604
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
If the earth was flat, cats would have already pushed everything off the edge.

As to doing dishes. Grew up one of five kids. Since mom cooked it was up to us to clean up. We had two teams to do the dishes. No other activity was allowed until the dished were done. The only way out was on your birthday. If your shift was on your birthday you got a free pass.

Never had an electric dishwasher in any house we have owned. I have always helped my wife do them. The after dinner dished was when we talked about things that needed talking about. When the kids were little we would be doing the dishes the kids would hang out in the kitchen. Simple way to make them scatter to the winds so we could talk was to ask them if they wanted to help.

I could never figure out the allure of a dishwasher. We can do the cleanup and have everything put away in a lot less time than waiting for the dishwasher to run it's cycle. Uses a lot less energy too. Now with only two of us, not having one makes even more sense.
An efficient modern dishwasher uses less than 2 gallons of water (7.5 litres) to wash a full 14 place setting load. There's no need to pre-rinse dishes and the thing does it's work quietly (40dB) and the dishes is clean and dry when it's done, having used far less water than hand washing will use. There's no need to wait for it as it turns itself on after midnight and has everything clean and dry a few hours later. It's built in sensors determine how dirty the dishes are and therefore how much washing and rinsing is needed, thereby working out the time for the cycle. So, sometimes it will do its thing in under 60 minutes but most times, when full, it takes about 2 hours.
12-01-2020, 04:19 PM - 2 Likes   #82605
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

According to Bosch and their service engineers, the 3 hrs 15 min cycle is the most eco-friendly, i.e. uses the lowest amount of energy & water and - frankly - I'd done enough handwashing of dishes and so on over the 35+ yrs before the d/w was installed, and then realised that I'd simply "had enough" of doing that!
100%.

We have a Miele machine, after having had several other machines over the years. If I ever need to buy another one it will be another Miele machine. The basket layout options are fantastic and the third level (cutlery) tray is brilliant. No more wasted space with the cutlery basket at the bottom and enough height to fit large plates and tall stem wine glasses. It's also fantastic for cleaning the rangehood's filters.