Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2020, 12:31 PM - 4 Likes   #82636
Pentaxian

One of my favourite songs and this version happens to be sung by Johnny Cash. Think it was a Nine Inch Nails song, called 'Hurt'.

Johnny sings it.

In his style.

A very powerful rendition.

johnny cash sings 9 inch nails - Bing video

12-03-2020, 01:47 PM - 5 Likes   #82637
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have that that it is very moving.
My absolute favorite Johnny Cash song is one I discovered only about a year ago. It's a duet with Bob Dylan, who wrote it. "Girl From the North Country"

Last edited by Parallax; 12-03-2020 at 01:57 PM.
12-03-2020, 01:51 PM - 3 Likes   #82638
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Ram has, unfortunately, taken the opposite approach. my 2019 diesel has active noise cancellation in the cab. It barely sounds like a diesel and I never hear the turbo wind up unless the windows are down.
That’s just wrong. A Cummins was meant to be heard.

They have made Diesel engined pickups too much like a luxury car.
12-03-2020, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #82639
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I don't mind the luxury, but I sure miss the sound of my 2010. My '83 6.2 GMC even more.

12-03-2020, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #82640
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
One of my favourite songs and this version happens to be sung by Johnny Cash. Think it was a Nine Inch Nails song, called 'Hurt'.

Johnny sings it.

In his style.

A very powerful rendition.

One of my favorites from his later work.
12-03-2020, 02:18 PM - 3 Likes   #82641
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Isn't that a bit like the "Bugatti" Veyron? I see it's a common claim around the Internet that VW loses about 6 million bucks on each one they sell. And we all know it's true if it's on the 'net, right?
It was well reported at the time and features in several Ford Co (printed) histories, so I think it's most likely correct.
Here's a good read with the whole history and explains how the MkII Continental was the origin of the Skyliner hardop concept as well as the Lincoln Futura show car. (Which later became the Batman car)

Here?s why the Continental Mark II should never be called a Lincoln | Hagerty Media
12-03-2020, 02:19 PM   #82642
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ram has, unfortunately, taken the opposite approach. my 2019 diesel has active noise cancellation in the cab. It barely sounds like a diesel and I never hear the turbo wind up unless the windows are down.
That's just sad.

12-03-2020, 02:25 PM - 2 Likes   #82643
Pentaxian

I have that that it is very moving.
My absolute favorite Johnny Cash song is one I discovered only about a year ago. It's a duet with Bob Dylan, who wrote it. "Girl From the North Country"
Girl from the North Country - YouTube

Lovely song, and the duo by Johnny and Bob. If Bob wants to join this thread on the Pentax Forum, well that is alright by me. But I'm not giving up my position of Bob # 2. He would have to be content to be Bob # 5...or would it be #6. I'm not sure anymore, I've lost count.

Another all time favourite in my top ten songs is American Pie, by Don McLean.

12-03-2020, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #82644
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It was well reported at the time and features in several Ford Co (printed) histories, so I think it's most likely correct.
Here's a good read with the whole history and explains how the MkII Continental was the origin of the Skyliner hardop concept as well as the Lincoln Futura show car. (Which later became the Batman car)

Here?s why the Continental Mark II should never be called a Lincoln | Hagerty Media
I don't doubt you, Mark, not when it comes to Ford facts, at least It's the Veyron numbers I'd like to see some sources on before I'm convinced of VW having willingly lost a billion or two on that car.
12-03-2020, 03:24 PM - 3 Likes   #82645
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Hadn't heard that one before, thanks for posting #2.
American Pie, hell yes! I played that song many times before paying attention to the lyrics that I didn't understand the meaning of at the time.

I still have Johnny's original Orange Blossom Special lp album from 1965, the same year I graduated from HS.
It was purchased at the same time as a pair of black leather Wellington boots. No clue how I remember those details.
12-03-2020, 03:55 PM - 3 Likes   #82646
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Hadn't heard that one before, thanks for posting #2.
American Pie, hell yes! I played that song many times before paying attention to the lyrics that I didn't understand the meaning of at the time.

I still have Johnny's original Orange Blossom Special lp album from 1965, the same year I graduated from HS.
It was purchased at the same time as a pair of black leather Wellington boots. No clue how I remember those details.
You're welcome # 1. I always loved American Pie. Being Canadian, up here many of us didn't understand what a levee* was.

We certainly did know what a 'Chevy' was, in fact at that time, I drove a Chevy, my '67 Camaro coupe RS, with 327 cube V8 and 4 speed manual transmission....and I thought, that was exactly the kind of Chevy that Don Mclean drove to the levee.....and had in mind when he wrote and sang that song.

I remember having serious. albeit 'lubricated' conversations in pubs with others of my generation....about what the song American Pie, really meant. I don't think any of us back then had whatever it meant...nailed.

* Levee - Wikipedia

Good details to remember. Cash singing the Orange Blossom Special was a great song and although I didn't have Wellington boots, back then I did have a pair of squared toed cowboy boots that were advertised as Civil War boots...for some reason. I used them as motorcycle boots and they lasted for about 15 years in that duty.
12-03-2020, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #82647
Pentaxian

I don't doubt you, Mark, not when it comes to Ford facts, at least It's the Veyron numbers I'd like to see some sources on before I'm convinced of VW having willingly lost a billion or two on that car.
It's funny about VW and some of the companies they have bought over the years. They've bought Lamborghini, the Bugatti Veyron was/is their car, Bentley, Skoda the very old Czech company....but the strangest purchase that I could never figure out, is why they bought the Ducati motorcycle company .

Ducati has brought out some of the most interesting high performance motorcycles in their time.....but why V-Dub would buy them, never made sense to me.

In the '60's I had three VW Type 1's...Beetles. I liked them , I liked the idea of the air cooled , boxer engine, I liked driving them. I have found it rather remarkable that this company (VW) has been so successful....given that in the '40's, their very survival was in doubt....as a number of allied auto manufacturers didn't think it was a car or company of any value and didn't want any part of VW.
12-03-2020, 04:38 PM - 4 Likes   #82648
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That’s just wrong. A Cummins was meant to be heard.

I once saw a tee shirt with printing, "Real Trucks Rattle"
12-03-2020, 06:26 PM - 4 Likes   #82649
Veteran Member

Hey Charlie @CharLac, drop us a line to let us know how you're doing.
Looks like last activity on PF was 11/11/20.
We miss you buddy!!
12-03-2020, 07:01 PM - 2 Likes   #82650
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aha! Well, I certainly can't help you with Volkswagen facts.

Other than to say that the Beetle (a.k.a. Bug) was an abomination. How it ended up being made for so long is anyone's guess. At least the underpinnings of the beetle was good for one thing: Beach buggies!