Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2020, 09:13 PM - 3 Likes   #82726
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Interesting feature of the Indian motorcycle was that the throttle was on the left handlebar. Now some say this was an optional feature, so that police could control the speed with their left hand and shoot with their right hand. Some say this is a myth....some say nope, it's the truth. I say who knows...but it sure is interesting to ponder.
They could learn to shoot left handed, eh?

It's easy.

12-05-2020, 09:42 PM - 2 Likes   #82727
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

It's easy.
They could.

But if they were anything like me, they might have to work awhile to get their coordination up to speed. Ever since I had my ball and joint bones in my right shoulder replaced with a similar unit , but made of medical grade plastic and metal, I've been using my left hand and I'm a rightie...to operate the computer clicker mouse. It sort of works, but not great. I've been working the mouse clicker since about October 9/20 and here I am approaching 2 months of daily practice with left hand on clicker.

I think if I was a good target shooter (pistol) using my right hand, and tried to use my left hand for holding the pistol to do some target shooting, my grouping would be on the order of around 18 inches or so, between hits on the target.

On the other hand (no pun intended) though, my coordination has never been all that great, so I'm probably not a good example.
12-05-2020, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #82728
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Out here on the prairies we have a lot of space, relatively few people. One thing that has helped a lot when an accident happens in the middle of nowhere is the addition of 'air ambulance helicopters' to our province. They have medical personnel onboard and are dispatched to serious road accidents, etc . Their speed, compared to a road ambulance and the medically equipped ambulance in the air, with medical personnel , makes a big difference to the survival rate.

They land sometimes on the highway, after the road is blocked off by Mounties, load badly injured people into the copter and head to the hospital best equipped to deal with the particular injuries.

Many countries have this service and a good life saving service it is,
I have met a couple of people extracted from single vehicle events and carried hundreds of miles by air , who went on to recover from injuries which I later learned had at least 80% probability of death. One would have been considerably worse than that because of additional injuries.
12-05-2020, 10:36 PM   #82729
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Les

The large fuel stops on the outskirts of a town on the highway end up ' killing ' the town because everyone is in a hurry nowadays and don't enter the town.
This is the experience in Australia .

Dave
Particularly if the price of fuel in town looks like the petrol station bought it in bulk from the one on the edge of town.

In many small shops like in country towns it looks like they buy their stock on Amazon and add a margin. No wonder they go out of business complaining they are under cut by said website.

Last edited by tim60; 12-05-2020 at 10:47 PM.
12-05-2020, 11:20 PM - 2 Likes   #82730
Pentaxian

It's easy.
It's the only way I shoot.
12-06-2020, 01:21 AM - 2 Likes   #82731
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
...finding odd place names.
Like these:
Great examples, Racer, and I have no photos to compare, but just one day driving around Aberdeenshire, Scotland yielded Tough, Potts of Rayne, Tyrebagger, Lord’s Throat, Yonder Bogney and my favourite of them all - Baldyquash. Drove past the last one twice, so my eyes did not deceive me...
12-06-2020, 07:47 AM - 4 Likes   #82732
Veteran Member

We have a Climax and Bland Missouri.
Also a Licking, Butts, Grubville, Enough, Goodnight, Conception Junction, and Tightwad.
Arkansas has a Toad Suck.

I think we've had this conversation a time or two before.

12-06-2020, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #82733
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An arrow straight road on the flattest place on Earth. It feels like 200 miles, but is only about 45.

So you have seen this.

Metaphor, the tree of Utah is an 87-foot-tall sculpture that was created by the Swedish artist Karl Momen in the 1980s and dedicated in 1986. Located in the desolate Great Salt Lake Desert of Utah to the North of the west bound side of Interstate 80, about 25 miles East of Wendover, midway between the former railroad communities of Arinosa and Barro. The sculpture, which is constructed mainly of concrete, consists of a squarish 'trunk' holding up six spheres that are coated with natural rock and minerals native to Utah. There are also several hollow sphere segments on the ground around the base.

Inscribed on the plaque are the words from Ode to Joy by Friedrich Schiller; also used as the chorus of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. It has been said that Momen was moved to create the 87-foot-tall tree after having a vision of a tree while driving across the desolate Bonneville Salt Flats.

I shot this in 2001 when Mrs. Racer 2.0 and I took a winter vacation.

Down the West Coast to LA and out to Arizona, through Williams and The Grand Canyon, up into Utah through Bryce Canyon, I skied at Alta (the base is 8,500 feet, I had to go) then we drove out to Wendover and the Bonneville Salt Flats (it is a wet lake in February, not dry, so I didn't drive out on the race track), back to Salty City, out to the Golden Spike, and the desert where they tested the space shuttle rocket motors, and up to Idaho, through Twin Falls and Boise, up through Oregon past Baker City, La Grande and Pendleton and crossed back to Washington at Umatilla and back over 90 to The Emerald City.

I also too the Dodge four wheeling in the snow.

Heading North from Bryce Canyon we stopped at Butch Cassidy RV Park in Salina, Utah for the night. It snowed while we slept. We awoke to a foot of snow on the ground that wasn't there when we went to sleep. It was magical.

I saw this the next day, along US89 I think.

It was an awesome vacation, in our new Ram. We had a great time, and saw America.

The day we got home was the 2001 Daytona 500. The race was over before we got home, so I missed it. My neighbor saw us drive in and gave me the news about Dale Earnhardt as we were just getting out of the pickup.

A sad ending to such a great trip.
Kind of funny reading about your vacation. Slept in Salina UT a few times myself. Been to Pendleton and Umatilla too. Route 89 passes by so many interesting places on it way from Mexico to Canada including the Grand Tetons and through Yellowstone. Awesome highway.
12-06-2020, 11:05 AM - 3 Likes   #82734
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Toad Suck, Conway, Arkansas.

Been there, got the shirt.

12-06-2020, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #82735
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
It's the only way I shoot.
I shoot with either hand. I also swing a baseball bat and golf clubs either left or right handed. Drilling, wrenching, sawing, etc., all done ambidextrously.
12-06-2020, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #82736
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
We have a Climax and Bland Missouri.
Also a Licking, Butts, Grubville, Enough, Goodnight, Conception Junction, and Tightwad.

I think we've had this conversation a time or two before.
Wow. And I think we had odd town names here on Long Island. They're not that odd... Its just that nobody can pronounce them.
12-06-2020, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #82737
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot with either hand. I also swing a baseball bat and golf clubs either left or right handed. Drilling, wrenching, sawing, etc., all done ambidextrously.
As a rule I shoot a rifle left handed and a pistol right handed. I swing a bat right handed but shoot pool left handed. i catch a ball left handed and throw a ball right handed. When I played goalie in hockey I could play either left or right handed without even thinking about it. Always played offense or defense right handed. I'm so confused
12-06-2020, 02:10 PM   #82738
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
Wow. And I think we had odd town names here on Long Island. They're not that odd... Its just that nobody can pronounce them.
Stillaguamish.

The name of the river my property is on.
12-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #82739
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

They could.

But if they were anything like me, they might have to work awhile to get their coordination up to speed. Ever since I had my ball and joint bones in my right shoulder replaced with a similar unit , but made of medical grade plastic and metal, I've been using my left hand and I'm a rightie...to operate the computer clicker mouse. It sort of works, but not great. I've been working the mouse clicker since about October 9/20 and here I am approaching 2 months of daily practice with left hand on clicker.

I think if I was a good target shooter (pistol) using my right hand, and tried to use my left hand for holding the pistol to do some target shooting, my grouping would be on the order of around 18 inches or so, between hits on the target.

On the other hand (no pun intended) though, my coordination has never been all that great, so I'm probably not a good example.
My right shoulder has been on-and-off painful for years, so I switched from right to left on the computer mouse. It took a while to get used to it, but now I can use either. Or rather, I can use either until my right shoulder starts complaining

Pistol shooting with my left is less precise, but not too bad. But it feels proper awkward. Left shoulder rifle shooting... not sure I've even tried.
12-06-2020, 02:36 PM - 3 Likes   #82740
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
My right shoulder has been on-and-off painful for years, so I switched from right to left on the computer mouse. It took a while to get used to it, but now I can use either. Or rather, I can use either until my right shoulder starts complaining
There's always keyboard shortcuts.

Ditch the mouse altogether.