Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2021, 09:03 AM - 3 Likes   #83866
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
We need new swear words all the old ones are now just part of normal speech so appear to have no effect.

01-03-2021, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #83867
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I've watched it. Great series.
So good I bought it, and I rarely watch things twice
01-03-2021, 09:43 AM - 2 Likes   #83868
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
We need new swear words all the old ones are now just part of normal speech so appear to have no effect.
Or we could resurrect some that or so old they've like been forgotten.

Godfrey Daniels ~W.C Fields
Shozbot ~Robin Williams as Mork from Ork
Stuck in a ditch ~Unknown
Cheese and crackers! ~Unknown
Kissimmee Asphalt ~Me
01-03-2021, 09:48 AM - 3 Likes   #83869
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Provocation is often in the form of a childproof item needing to be opened. Jar lids are much tighter nowadays, and ring pulls on can goods were created by the devil. Don't get me started on blister packs!
I'm a bit late replying but I only just saw this post.

I am totally with you on the blister pack thing Rob! Those devices are designed to be as difficult as possible to open and they will cut you to shreds at any possible opportunity while trying to open them! As an engineer I can appreciate why they are built the way they are but also as an engineer I really hate the way they work and how difficult they can be to get into. Help is at hand however (literally).

I decided to treat myself to some new tools for Xmas and while perusing a website of interest I came across an item that made me do a double or even triple-take as it piqued my interest so much. I was so intrigued that I ordered not one set but two (one for the kitchen and one for my workshop in the basement) and they arrived today (late for Xmas but that's understandable given the amount of post at this time of year and the COVID restrictions slowing things down). This is what I ordered.......... Multi-Cut | WORKSHOP SUPPLY ......... and I must say that I am very impressed with what arrived! They are bigger than I anticipated (8 1/2" (220mm) long) and very well made. The blades are forged from 3/16" (2.5mm) steel which seems to be of good quality and they cut through blister packs like they were made of butter and the angled offset keeps your flesh away from the razor sharp cut edges! The handles are very comfortable thanks to the padded grip (my arthritic hands really like them) and the 3 position sprung-locking system works like a charm. The box cutter blade in the handle is a nice touch but the screwdriver is a bit gimmicky and tiny but it may prove useful for the tiny screws found on those annoying battery case covers on some modern LED flashlights.

I am not affiliated in any way with the product or supplier but I thought I'd let you know there were options to deal with blister packs and so far I am very impressed with what I've cut and I guess time will tell if the product has any longevity but it seems very well made and as it's currently on sale a steal for the price.

01-03-2021, 10:09 AM - 3 Likes   #83870
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

What does that have to do with bacon or boiled ribs?
Speaking of which.........................
Mrs. P just got back from the grocery store. Guess what's on the menu for tonight!
Attached Images

01-03-2021, 11:37 AM - 2 Likes   #83871
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
My oldest daughter came up with one that became very popular during her teenage years. Instead of 'Oh S&%T' she would shout 'Oh SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS!' It was very effective and still gets used in our family many years later.
01-03-2021, 11:43 AM - 2 Likes   #83872
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
Your post got lost in this rambling thread...
At the risk of offending many here by
going back on topic, I’ll add that I don’t
think I’ll be buying another K-3-series
camera. I happily have two K-3 II cameras,
and while the K-3 III intrigues me, I do
think I’m more ready for a K-1 III as my
next new camera... :-)

Happy 2021 to all K-3 pentaxians
Both of his posts here did not go unnoticed, in fact I replied to both of them, but he failed to acknowledge either.

I still will not buy a K-3.

01-03-2021, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #83873
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I'm a bit late replying but I only just saw this post.

I am totally with you on the blister pack thing Rob! Those devices are designed to be as difficult as possible to open and they will cut you to shreds at any possible opportunity while trying to open them! As an engineer I can appreciate why they are built the way they are but also as an engineer I really hate the way they work and how difficult they can be to get into. Help is at hand however (literally).

I decided to treat myself to some new tools for Xmas and while perusing a website of interest I came across an item that made me do a double or even triple-take as it piqued my interest so much. I was so intrigued that I ordered not one set but two (one for the kitchen and one for my workshop in the basement) and they arrived today (late for Xmas but that's understandable given the amount of post at this time of year and the COVID restrictions slowing things down). This is what I ordered.......... Multi-Cut | WORKSHOP SUPPLY ......... and I must say that I am very impressed with what arrived! They are bigger than I anticipated (8 1/2" (220mm) long) and very well made. The blades are forged from 3/16" (2.5mm) steel which seems to be of good quality and they cut through blister packs like they were made of butter and the angled offset keeps your flesh away from the razor sharp cut edges! The handles are very comfortable thanks to the padded grip (my arthritic hands really like them) and the 3 position sprung-locking system works like a charm. The box cutter blade in the handle is a nice touch but the screwdriver is a bit gimmicky and tiny but it may prove useful for the tiny screws found on those annoying battery case covers on some modern LED flashlights.

I am not affiliated in any way with the product or supplier but I thought I'd let you know there were options to deal with blister packs and so far I am very impressed with what I've cut and I guess time will tell if the product has any longevity but it seems very well made and as it's currently on sale a steal for the price.

This is what I've used for cutting through plastic blister wraps, everything, etc. for years. Think they were modeled on paramedic scissors, but I'm not sure. Anyway they work very well.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/kitchen/knives-and-cutlery/scissors-and...shell-scissors
01-03-2021, 12:02 PM - 3 Likes   #83874
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Got up at 2am today so we could take the oldest grandson to the airport for his return to Fort Benning. His flight was delayed over 5 hours, and I helped him try to get the airline to get him on another flight.

No bueno.

All other possible flights were solidly booked, no other accommodations available.

So we thought we could go have some breakfast to pass some of the time.

Again, no bueno.

No inside dining available, takeout only. Ever eat takeout breakfast in a car?

So, McDonald's, eaten in the car, parked in the cell phone lot.

Afterwards I went back into the terminal with him, we checked out the USO, I made sure he knew which security gate to go through and left him at the USO to chill, and we went back home.

Tomorrow,. I head back to The Big Shed, and a KC46 tanker.

The holidays are over.
01-03-2021, 12:09 PM - 6 Likes   #83875
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thought I would try my hand at baguettes since we are having homemade spaghetti sauce tonight.
Attached Images

01-03-2021, 12:22 PM - 3 Likes   #83876
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Think they were modeled on paramedic scissors, but I'm not sure.
Yep. We first saw those in the early 80s. They were known as "trauma shears" back then.
The first ones I bought cost about twice what they are today or, adjusted for inflation, about 4 or 5 times as much, but you weren't a real medic unless you had some.
01-03-2021, 12:26 PM - 3 Likes   #83877
Veteran Member

Yep. We first saw those in the early 80s. They were known as "trauma shears" back then.
The first ones I bought cost about twice what they are today or, adjusted for inflation, about 4 or 5 times as much, but you weren't a real medic unless you had some.
Great tools for cutting through clothing... much safer than a knife too.
01-03-2021, 12:31 PM - 3 Likes   #83878
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Great tools for cutting through clothing... much safer than a knife too.
Yep. and seat belts.
I think Levi Strauss owes me a substantial commission for generating replacement sales.
01-03-2021, 12:44 PM - 5 Likes   #83879
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I suppose it depends on which language you are being profane in, English has the obvious swear words that everyone knows, but there are also some quite verbose curses that are not so widely known and which tend to add an air of almost sophistication to the cursee when one quotes Shakespeare.

Russian and German apparently are very good languages to swear in,
True. A Russian speaking Belorussian friend always complains about how restricted he feels when speaking Norwegian. "I'm used to 16 swear words for each one of yours!" I don't think he's quite right, though. It's more a question of when his Norwegian becomes good enough to allow for proper creativity. Up north they're very good at turning insults into complete and elaborate sentences. A colleague of mine was less than impressed with some boss and muttered something about how (I'm paraphrasing quite heavily here to keep it... nice) he could stuff his thumbs up his backside and skid on his elbows to a hot place.

But yeah, Russians seem fond of swearing a lot, and with quite some creativity.
01-03-2021, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #83880
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Our young grandson when he was very young and just started to talk.

At the day care center where he went, there were a couple of English women who worked at the day care and they had strong British accents and he picked up some of their pronunciation.

He would come home and ask his parents for a ' crack..a ' meaning cracker.
Well, it's the propah way.