Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #8386
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought it was pretty well established that the next model would be the ZX-5nD IIs. Uh, "Super"

04-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #8387
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by parallax Quote
no, i think k-1 for the regular production model.
K-1.618 would be for the limited fibonacci edition.
K 3, 4, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 23, 29 . . . . .

645 is not a Prime Fibonacci Number, so z
04-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #8388
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I thought it was pretty well established that the next model would be the ZX-5nD IIs. Uh, "Super"
I'll wait for the Limited Silver of that one!
04-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #8389

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Ok here you go:
Sleeper with older model deer killer

Day cab with the latest model of Mad max protection!

Our trucks have been taking a huge amount of deer damage. The new cages have saved a ton of money! Also I was talking to the trans. head, they are having a lot of issues with the new emission control systems. Filters clogging, sensors failing. Since we are sending out about 80 or more a day, it's a big deal!
I dunno, Joel, looks like one of your fellow employees has a bad case of crabs.

Seriously though, the Volvo rigs are the 680 models, looks like the low roof with a small sleeper. Have you ever seen the inside of one?

Do they have a refrigerator?

Or are they pretty basic inside?

I see the fleet is about as big as the company I drive for was when I started there 5 years ago just under 100 trucks. Checked the SMS data, they have a pretty good safety rating, but several of the items noted resulted from drivers getting pulled in for being overweight, and then other violations were found. Hauling refrigerated foods is like that. Real easy to get the wagon loaded too heavy, and then not be able to adjust for it.

The best way to keep the Creeper Cops at bay is to not draw their attention in the first place. Once you catch their eye, they are like piranhas, and go on a feeding frenzy.

As for the Moose Bumpers, definitely a good idea. 5 years ago next September I was in Wyoming, just past Buffalo and Bambi ran out and committed suicide on the front of my first Volvo.

After spending a few days in a motel room waiting for a local shop to make the truck drivable I finally was able to finish the trip. Made the delivery and then went back to the yard. The shop at home still had to do some work, and they never did repaint anything, just replaced the broken bumper and lighting.

Over $5,000 in damage, a $600 tow bill, 3 days for a motel, meals, and a customer upset because their freight was delayed.

I went to the manager and talked with him about putting the Moose bumpers on our trucks. The fleet is over 250 trucks now, and every day we have at least half of them running across states with high risk for deer strikes (sometimes even larger animals, one truck hit a steer in New Mexico a couple years ago, totaled it).

I made a perfect business case for the things, cost installed, compared to damage repair costs, lodging for the driver(s), delayed deliveries and downtime.

He said that the cost to outfit the fleet with the bumpers was too high to offset the other costs.

04-22-2014, 09:39 PM   #8390
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I dunno, Joel, looks like one of your fellow employees has a bad case of crabs.

He said that the cost to outfit the fleet with the bumpers was too high to offset the other costs.
Some people do not think about things like the indirect costs of failing to deliver - will your customer choose a different carrier? It may not have paid to retrofit the fleet, but all new trucks could be fitted. The existing fleet would be turned over after some duration but every new truck has a full life ahead of it.
04-23-2014, 02:32 AM   #8391

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No, I think K-1 for the regular production model.
K-1.618 would be for the limited Fibonacci edition.
I still want one, haha.
04-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #8392

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It may not have paid to retrofit the fleet, but all new trucks could be fitted. The existing fleet would be turned over after some duration but every new truck has a full life ahead of it.
The bumpers can be installed in a few minutes. They usually are designed to be inserted into the tow hook sockets on the front of the truck. And when trucks are retired the bumpers can be transferred to the new ones.

The only difference is the distance between the right and left socket from one make to another, so the bumpers would have to be transferred to the same make.

As for cost, the tubular type like the ones on Joel's photos are the lowest cost type. They run about $800 to $1,200 each, depending on finish, powder coated being cheaper than chrome. The massive aluminum ones, like one might see on an owner operator rig can run as high as $5,000.
04-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #8393
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
K 3, 4, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 23, 29 . . . . .

645 is not a Prime Fibonacci Number, so z
4??

Umm, and really, the *only* true Pentax prime is the FA43!

Edit: oops, forgot the FA31...

04-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #8394
Site Supporter

Another thought; does any other band have true primes? Is there a 7mm for MFT?
04-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #8395
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
4??

Umm, and really, the *only* true Pentax prime is the FA43!

Edit: oops, forgot the FA31...
How about the 01 prime?

I know some lists count it, and some do not, but 1 is only divisible by itself and 1 (talking whole numbers) and though htye are the same it does meet the definition!
04-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #8396
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
How about the 01 prime?
Ah, sorry, I wouldn't be the first to overlook the mighty Q...
04-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #8397
Emperor and Senpai

I got one for the multiplier effect for long distance astrophotogrpahy.
04-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #8398
Site Supporter

Well, I'm trying to stay away from the Q threads. I definitely don't need to get into one more system!
04-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #8399
Site Supporter

I was thinking that now might be a good time to start a "Why I won't buy a 645Z" thread, except that I noticed that the hociR has declined to put its mark on that camera. Pity.

Steve
04-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #8400
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was thinking that now might be a good time to start a "Why I won't buy a 645Z" thread, except that I noticed that the hociR has declined to put its mark on that camera. Pity.

Steve
We haven't actually seen a production model yet. IIRC there was only about a three week rumor window of the hociR brand on the K3 - the evaluation copies issued under the NDA's reportedly were printed PENTAX.