Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2021, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #84061
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Reminds me of a story my grandfather's best friend told me , back in the 1950's. He was born in Bristol in the 1870's and told me when he was a very young boy, his mother told him to keep off the Bristol docks as on occasion Press Gangs were active, looking to 'press' men into naval service. The press gangs and impressing men into the Royal Navy was supposed to be over by then, but stories would still pop up, now and then. Maybe still happened, maybe didn't.

He was a great guy, more like a great uncle to me.
Press gangs used to frequent pubs too. Got blokes already primed to appreciate the daily rum ration.

My post was a quotation from the diary of Samuel Pepys, 1664. The plague to which he referred was the bubonic plague that ended in the Great Fire of London. In turn Hitler wanted to recreate that during the Battle of Britain but did not succeed.

01-08-2021, 11:04 PM - 5 Likes   #84062
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Did you put the meat on the grill Bob?
Which meat ? The Timber Rattler or the recently eaten squirrel that was in the stomach of the snake ?

Would that qualify as marinated squirrel ?

Made me wonder....if you cooked a squirrel, inside a snake...would that be a new variation on Turducken ?

I bet Bob # 1 would know.

Last edited by lesmore49; 01-08-2021 at 11:12 PM.
01-08-2021, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #84063
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Press gangs used to frequent pubs too. Got blokes already primed to appreciate the daily rum ration.

My post was a quotation from the diary of Samuel Pepys, 1664. The plague to which he referred was the bubonic plague that ended in the Great Fire of London. In turn Hitler wanted to recreate that during the Battle of Britain but did not succeed.
My old friend from Bristol, England also told me that the reason that drink mugs in English pubs back then had glass bottoms was so that the 'potential' recruit could see the King's coin in the mug when he was drinking bottoms up. The coin was usually flipped in the alcohol filled mug, unbeknownst to the guy who was in the process of being 'pressed' into service. If he noticed the coin, he would flip it out and beat a hasty retreat.

My old Bristol buddy had been born in 1872, lived to 100 years old and passed away on Vancouver Island.
01-08-2021, 11:39 PM - 2 Likes   #84064
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It snowed here, a little last night,
I understand it snowed here in 1956 or 58 - 20+ years before I arrived here.

01-09-2021, 01:26 AM   #84065
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I understand it snowed here in 1956 or 58 - 20+ years before I arrived here.
I can believe it with Australian weather.

I remember Christmas 2005 was a very cold day almost everywhere. Adelaide 5C and snow in Armidale. What was it like at your place?

The here to which I referred was in Oxford.
01-09-2021, 04:14 AM - 2 Likes   #84066
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Fantastic - murderous squirrels, the last thing we needed. When's the shark tornado scheduled for, March?
01-09-2021, 06:32 AM - 4 Likes   #84067
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Spain is a warm country"
Meanwhile, the storm front "Filomena", deciding that -35ºC is a nice temperature:

This is the closest to Canada they are going to be I think. Hundreds of cars stranded in the highway, massive snowfall in half the country, army deployed to rescue drivers. I've never enjoyed the brunch coffee this much in a while

01-09-2021, 06:54 AM - 4 Likes   #84068
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Which meat ? The Timber Rattler or the recently eaten squirrel that was in the stomach of the snake ?

Would that qualify as marinated squirrel ?

Made me wonder....if you cooked a squirrel, inside a snake...would that be a new variation on Turducken ?

I bet Bob # 1 would know.
After removing the fangs, then skinning the snake, I had no taste for it or the squirrel. Maybe next time.
A neighbor, learning taxidermy, told me how to 'tan' the skin by covering it with borax, it worked! I think there's 13 rattles and a button, if my memory that can't be trusted is trusted. The rattling is what helped me find him in tall grass.
01-09-2021, 09:06 AM - 6 Likes   #84069
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
After removing the fangs, then skinning the snake, I had no taste for it or the squirrel. Maybe next time.
A neighbor, learning taxidermy, told me how to 'tan' the skin by covering it with borax, it worked! I think there's 13 rattles and a button, if my memory that can't be trusted is trusted. The rattling is what helped me find him in tall grass.
A great aunt and uncle lived in Nebraska running a ranch back when I was a boy. We visited once, and I was fascinated by a large bowl on the fireplace mantle, full of rattlesnake rattles. They always carried a sidearm when working the ranch, and when encountering rattlesnakes they shot them, and cut off the rattle, saving them in that bowl.
01-09-2021, 09:10 AM - 5 Likes   #84070
Veteran Member

01-09-2021, 09:17 AM - 5 Likes   #84071
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
This is the closest to Canada they are going to be I think. Hundreds of cars stranded in the highway, massive snowfall in half the country, army deployed to rescue drivers. I've never enjoyed the brunch coffee this much in a while
Though we don't call on the army when we get snow, generally (pun certainly not intended)
01-09-2021, 09:42 AM - 4 Likes   #84072
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Though we don't call on the army when we get snow, generally (pun certainly not intended)
Well we had mayor Mel “Noooobody” Lastman call in the army in Toronto much to Montreal’s amusement
01-09-2021, 09:45 AM - 3 Likes   #84073
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That's because you guys are used to it! In Spain the worst seasonal thing we have to deal with is drunken tourists
01-09-2021, 09:50 AM - 2 Likes   #84074
Veteran Member

That's because you guys are used to it! In Spain the worst seasonal thing we have to deal with is drunken tourists
Didn’t realize that was seasonal every time I have been to Spain I have seen brits on hen nights or stag weekends getting rolled on las ramblas
01-09-2021, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #84075
Pentaxian

"Spain is a warm country"
Meanwhile, the storm front "Filomena", deciding that -35ºC is a nice temperature:

As you say Spain is a warm country. As a result there would be no need to have a lot of snow cleaning equipment. Where I am in Canada, we have a lot of snow, which because of our generally very cold winter temps, becomes compacted and very hard...on the roads. We clear the roads with large front end loaders and motor graders....because of the these conditions.

A couple of nights ago, our city roads were cleared. I usually don't get to sleep much before 3 am or so, and from many years of experience know that the plows usually get to my street by 2:30-3 AM. They are wonderful to behold....the way they plow, side by side in unison at a fair speed...it is as if they are choreographed.

To watch the heavy equipment drivers pilot their large machines , closely together in a marvelously coordinated fashion is something to behold. But then, they have had a lot of experience over the years out here. Usually on our streets, there are 3-4 front end loaders and two motor graders operating. The city issues notice that no parking on streets on a snow clearing night, will be allowed, streets are clear and work begins usually starting at 7 pm to 7 am. It usually just takes a couple of nights for streets, to be cleared for the entire city...population somewhere around 850,000 +, I think is the latest estimate and this city is spread over a lot of area as we're on the prairies and a fair amount of space was available as it developed.

A number of years ago staff at the city of London (England) contacted snow clearing people at Winterpeg for advice on how to clear an unseasonable large dump of snow in that city. The advice was in London's case to let it melt, as London, as many cities that don't experience much snow, doesn't have adequate heavy snow clearing equipment numbers in proportion to their size, and the temps would rise to a melting point soon. They would have no need for a lot of snow clearing equipment, as rarely do they get a huge snow dump.

Here, normally, this year is an aberration...our temps remain very cold from early November till March or later, requiring snow/ice to be removed from streets.