Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #84211
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
You can call me Bob, you can call me Rob, or you can even call me Number One, but you don't have to call me robtcorl.

https://youtu.be/qoYsfbq3vMc
I remember J. J Johnson. Very funny guy.

He also had a role (Vinnie the cook) in the David Steinberg Show, where David would go to Vinnie's restaurant for lunch.

One episode, Steinberg was lined up giving his lunch order to Vinnie, :

Vinnie..."David my friend what do you want for lunch, BTW...chicken soup is the special".

David..." Sounds great. I'll have the chicken soup. "

Vinnie hollers back to the food prep guys..." Chicken soup for David. "

About ten seconds later...David says..."Vinnie, I've changed my mind, I don't want Chicken soup, I want Pea soup. "

Vinnie shouts back to the food prep guys, very loudly " David has changed his mind. Hold that chicken...and make it ..Pea. "

01-13-2021, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #84212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The owner's manual says engineering design has accounted for increase wear and with whatever they've done, it won't affect the longevity of the vehicle.
Yes Les, I'm sure they've accounted for it in the design. The whole start/stop technology is heavily integrated into vehicle systems these days and its interesting the influence it can have on the design of components and systems beyond the obvious things like starter motors and batteries. Some systems don't even rely on the starter motor.
01-13-2021, 04:43 PM - 5 Likes   #84213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I have been lucky enough to see these beasts in the wild (and to have eaten some too , it makes a great stew or pot roast) , but they can be scary to encounter on the road particularly as they wander out and you are doing 100km
My wife kept pointing out the Moose crossing signs when we were on the east coast she was hoping against hope to see one, I was hoping not to as I was the driver
I've had a few encounters with Moose. One that comes to mind was back in the early '90's. My wife and I were driving down to the Lake of the Woods, to look at a cottage for sale. It was winter.

Our two kids were with us and at that time, quite young. We were driving down a secondary highway in Manitoba, early morning and it was a beautiful day. The bushes and trees had hoar frost, sun was out. The road passed by a marsh and standing on the ice, chomping away on some... flora.... was some ...fauna...a Bull Moose and a Cow Moose.

They were about 150 feet away. I had my camera, a K1000 with my 35-105 lens on it. Looking at the moose at the marsh, with hoar frost covering plants...it was something out of a Hallmark card.

My camera was in the station wagon, but at the very back. My wife said, leave it, who knows what those moose will do. But I threw caution to the wind...till the Bull Moose looked at me, started pawing the ground with it's front hoof...it was right dominant .. and started huffing out of his very big nostrils. I immediately decided that caution was the better part of valour and jumped back into the car and we sped off.

No pix, no error. Thank heavens.

Lake of the Woods - Wikipedia.
01-13-2021, 08:01 PM - 5 Likes   #84214
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums

Thx again for the pix and your comments. Explains things well .

Les
You're welcome Les.

Mark Jerling really likes it when I share my perspective of aviation too.

It is fascinating to work at such a place. The sheer size leaves me breathless sometimes, even after six and a half years. The daily routine will see me at different levels of the tool the airplane is assembled in, so I can look out across the hangar where the wing/body join is taking place, turn just a bit and see the final assembly position, just inside the giant doors where the airplane will be towed out to the next step where all the final details are correct prior to paint. The structure that supports the roof of the building on each side of each hangar is called the tower, and used for offices, support shops, bathrooms, cafes (yes, cafes, there are 5 or 6 cafes inside the main factory, one in the twin towers office complex, and one at the delivery center on the flighline) is 6 stories high (not a residential story, but a commercial story, about 10 or 12 feet ). There are plenty of places that afford a sweeping view of each hangar.

Breathtaking views.

A view of the 777X final assembly. This is a new approach for Boeing, using crawlers to move the last three sections together for the final assembly.

The next video shows a Legacy 777 (metal wings) from start to finish. The Legacy 777 is the airplane I was hired to build, and I have had the opportunity to participate in the structural build of almost every part, wings, fuselage and empennage. I stop and watch in awe every time a large assembly goes buy on a crane. The cranes move the factory. They go everywhere. Dozens of them. The heat generated during the daily activities rises, and being about 70 feet up it is quite warm. The building is not heated, nor dark insulated, but the heat that collects there limits how many hours a shift a crane operator can operate one, four hours I think. Crane operator is the one of the highest paying jobs, one everyone wants, but there are only about 60 positions.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 01-13-2021 at 08:52 PM.
01-13-2021, 08:41 PM - 5 Likes   #84215
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I’ve been to Boeing Winnipeg, when I drove big trucks. Took a load of empty 747 engine fairing tooling back there, a week before Christmas, I think it was 2009.

It was very cold there, 50 below zero F, not counting the wind chill.
I shot this Kenworth cabover at the Winnipeg Flying J December 21, 2009.

This was in Montana, the next day, nearing Greycliff. I left Winnipeg the morning before, and made it to Beach, North Dakota, driving through a blizzard all day.

Right after Itook this shot it started snowing, and I was trying to make Bozeman that day. After the blizzard the day before, I was beginning to have doubts about getting home for Christmas. The closer I got to Bozeman, the harder it snowed. The right lane had tracks, and I could still move along at 60 or so. My wagon was empty, and some weight would have been welcomed, but I still managed. Before Livingston I caught up with a line of cars and trucks. Drivers were complaining on the two way, but no one wanted to step into the hammer lane, as the snow was at least six inches deep.

So I went for it.

Like driving through mashed potatoes, but as long as I was easy on the throttle, I managed to pass about 50 vehicles, trucks, pickups, cars. At the lead was a rookie CR England rig, and in the dark I could see his knuckles on the wheel. He was about to squeeze the wheel into two.

All while going 15 miles an hour.

After that I put it in the wind, making the Flying J at Bozeman with about 30 minutes left on my logbook.

I made Ellensburg the next day, short drive from the yard and home, and was home for Christmas Eve.
01-13-2021, 09:02 PM - 5 Likes   #84216
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had a few encounters with Moose. One that comes to mind was back in the early '90's. My wife and I were driving down to the Lake of the Woods, to look at a cottage for sale. It was winter.

Our two kids were with us and at that time, quite young. We were driving down a secondary highway in Manitoba, early morning and it was a beautiful day. The bushes and trees had hoar frost, sun was out. The road passed by a marsh and standing on the ice, chomping away on some... flora.... was some ...fauna...a Bull Moose and a Cow Moose.

They were about 150 feet away. I had my camera, a K1000 with my 35-105 lens on it. Looking at the moose at the marsh, with hoar frost covering plants...it was something out of a Hallmark card.

My camera was in the station wagon, but at the very back. My wife said, leave it, who knows what those moose will do. But I threw caution to the wind...till the Bull Moose looked at me, started pawing the ground with it's front hoof...it was right dominant .. and started huffing out of his very big nostrils. I immediately decided that caution was the better part of valour and jumped back into the car and we sped off.

Mrs. Racer and I took a winter holiday a few years ago down to California, and came back on the coast. In Northern California I saw a herd of elk grazing in a field, and wanted to shoot a few photos. I turned off on a dirt road, grabbed the camera and walked into a field. To try and get a shot of them with their heads up, and to see if there were and bulls, I whistled.

This cow decided I was intruding, and she was going run me off. She took an agressive posture, and began to advance on me. At this point she was only about two leaps from me. As I slowly backed towards the car I raised my arms to look bigger, and began to growl and hiss like a cougar.

It worked well enough that she paused, and I escaped what may have been a trampling.

01-13-2021, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #84217
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
My mobility impaired brother's scooter has a pair of AGM batteries. Handles the frequent cycling quite well.
Hi Charlie

I believe that is there purpose unlike a cranking battery which is not designed to do that.

Dave

01-13-2021, 10:40 PM - 4 Likes   #84218
Pentaxian

I shot this Kenworth cabover at the Winnipeg Flying J December 21, 2009.

This was in Montana, the next day, nearing Greycliff. I left Winnipeg the morning before, and made it to Beach, North Dakota, driving through a blizzard all day.

Right after Itook this shot it started snowing, and I was trying to make Bozeman that day. After the blizzard the day before, I was beginning to have doubts about getting home for Christmas. The closer I got to Bozeman, the harder it snowed. The right lane had tracks, and I could still move along at 60 or so. My wagon was empty, and some weight would have been welcomed, but I still managed. Before Livingston I caught up with a line of cars and trucks. Drivers were complaining on the two way, but no one wanted to step into the hammer lane, as the snow was at least six inches deep.

So I went for it.

Like driving through mashed potatoes, but as long as I was easy on the throttle, I managed to pass about 50 vehicles, trucks, pickups, cars. At the lead was a rookie CR England rig, and in the dark I could see his knuckles on the wheel. He was about to squeeze the wheel into two.

All while going 15 miles an hour.

After that I put it in the wind, making the Flying J at Bozeman with about 30 minutes left on my logbook.

I made Ellensburg the next day, short drive from the yard and home, and was home for Christmas Eve.
I had a similar trip, the week before Christmas in 1980. I was in the south of England, Buckinghamshire, on a training course for Perkin Elmer. Class finished on Friday around 3.30pm. Through the classroom window I noticed snow was accumulating which was unusual for the south. The instructor told us that the roads were bad and the the snow plough drivers were on strike (not unusual for UK). I was driving my old series 2 Land Rover so I was not too worried about the snow. As I drove home, North to Yorkshire on the M1 motorway, at first traffic was using 2 of the 3 lanes and moving at a fair pace. At time went on, this reverted to 1 lane in use and 2 snowed over. About 90 miles from home I stopped at a service area to phone home to let my wife know I might be late. Age before cell phones
As I walked back to the truck I saw a young guy hitch hiking. I turned out he lived about 5 miles from me. I told him that he was welcome to ride with me but that the heater in the Land Rover was pathetic.
We got back on the motorway and by this time the traffic was down to 15mph with 2 unused lanes with 4" of snow. After a few minutes I decided this was not working well, so I hit the 4x4 button and drove the remaining 90 miles with 2 lanes to myself at about 50mph. By the time we hit the offramp, traffic was almost at a standstill. I dropped the guy at his house and made it home for supper.
01-14-2021, 12:37 AM - 4 Likes   #84219
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be interesting to see a Norwegian booklet of boy's and girl's names for parents to choose. Any Norwegian men with forenames something like 'Roar Even' or 'Even Roar' ?
Some good double names

There are 5 men with Bent Even as their forename
There are 30 men with Odd Even as their forename
There are 122 men with Odd Roar as their forename
There are 14 men with Bent Roar as their forename

There is no booklet to choose from, though. And I know I shouldn't ruin a good story with facts, but... these names are traditional names that aren't odd at all in Norwegian.

Even is an alternative form of Eyvind, meaning lucky winner.
Odd means "sharp point", as in the point of a spear or tip of a knife. A good Viking name, just like "Geir", meaning "spear". You will also see Oddgeir and Asgeir ("spear of the gods", no less).
Roar means something like "spear of honor" (the -ar ending deriving from Geir).
Gun/Gunn means battle or war and may actually be the origin of the English word "gun" (lots of uncertainty there). Hilde also means war, so the not uncommon name Gunnhild might suit some better than others
Bent is a Danish shortening of Benedict, so less Viking-ish than the others
01-14-2021, 12:37 AM - 4 Likes   #84220
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

There are moose encounters and there are moose encounters. The Swedes are fond of simulating the more rough kind of encounter!

01-14-2021, 12:57 AM - 2 Likes   #84221
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
... and remember not to drive too fast and run the guy carrying a red flag down!
In England they still have something like that. Rubbish trucks cannot go faster than the two runners who get the bins and put them on the rear loading hatch. Really inconvenient for all the other traffic on the typical main road which is two lanes for both ways, not each way, and busy. They could save paying two runners and speed up the process by using a robot arm to pick up bins AND requiring residents to leave their bin at the defined collection point, the right way around, and impose profit making parking fines for obstructing bin trucks on bin day. What’s more, they could use the money saved to employ the two runners to do other worthwhile work providing additional services to the residents.
01-14-2021, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #84222
Pentaxian

It looks like a passenger plane, with no seats, overhead bins or windows.

The floors have tracks, rollers and latches. The cargo containers are made to fit neatly into the fuselage, and the floor latches hold them in place. The rollers are motorized, so the containers can be moved remotely, but they can also be pushed by the freight handlers.

These are pictures of the A deck, the B deck is similar, except the arc of the fuselage is reversed.

Here is a picture of the B deck before the systems, wiring and liners are installed. This is how I see the airplane.
The B deck is just like the passengers fit out.
01-14-2021, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #84223
Pentaxian

I'd love to see that reflected in my Boeing stock....
It already has been.
01-14-2021, 01:56 AM - 2 Likes   #84224
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
In England they still have something like that. Rubbish trucks cannot go faster than the two runners who get the bins and put them on the rear loading hatch. Really inconvenient for all the other traffic on the typical main road which is two lanes for both ways, not each way, and busy. They could save paying two runners and speed up the process by using a robot arm to pick up bins AND requiring residents to leave their bin at the defined collection point, the right way around, and impose profit making parking fines for obstructing bin trucks on bin day. What’s more, they could use the money saved to employ the two runners to do other worthwhile work providing additional services to the residents.
Hi Tim

Its good to dream
Councils have changed to robot arm trucks and the runners lost to nostalgia.and their jobs.

Dave
01-14-2021, 02:04 AM - 2 Likes   #84225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love to see that reflected in my Boeing stock....
If you bought it in March 2020... :P