Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2021, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #84301
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hope your not in a bushfire zone.
We currently have an "Open Season" for making fires. But, even in a Restricted or Prohibited Season, pizza ovens are exempt.
That's because the risk is so low. Firstly, when in use, there's only a minor risk of any sparks getting out of the oven and, secondly, when not in use and with the door fitted, there's no risk at all.
Any spark going up the flue has to travel 4 metres to open air and there are no combustible surfaces anywhere near the flue or the oven door.

Also, no gum trees so we're good!

01-17-2021, 09:29 PM - 2 Likes   #84302
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
We currently have an "Open Season" for making fires. But, even in a Restricted or Prohibited Season, pizza ovens are exempt.
That's because the risk is so low. Firstly, when in use, there's only a minor risk of any sparks getting out of the oven and, secondly, when not in use and with the door fitted, there's no risk at all.
Any spark going up the flue has to travel 4 metres to open air and there are no combustible surfaces anywhere near the flue or the oven door.

Also, no gum trees so we're good!
The Koala cots are a bit of a problem over here.
01-18-2021, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #84303
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
The Koala cots are a bit of a problem over here.
Koala cots!

Oven dome is down to 125degC tonight, floor to 100degC. Problem is, I don't have a recipe for cooking at such a low temperature. I asked Annie if she wanted to make a Pav but the offer was declined.
01-18-2021, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #84304
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mate of mine has just bought one of these: POER Specs and Pictures - GWM pickup site

Sold here as a GWM Cannon 4x4 it's (and I struggle to say it) surprisingly nice. And very cheap.

It comes with a 5 year service plan, 5 year / 150,000km warranty, factory everything, even diff lock. The only thing is the engine is a bit of a wheezy 2 litre diesel.

Full specs here. My mate bought the top of the line model. https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/2021-gwm-ute-cannon-price-features

Last edited by MarkJerling; 01-18-2021 at 02:00 AM.
01-18-2021, 03:57 AM - 2 Likes   #84305
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only thing is the engine is a bit of a wheezy 2 litre diesel.
Modern diesels can pack a punch tough, a friend of mine's got a Mazda 3 with a 1.8L diesel and it's very responsive... although of course it's a much smaller car .

I gotta admit I'm not reliable when talking about car specs, since I'm used to my old Vento's 1.9D... with 63hp* and 120 Nm on a which at this point probably feel like ponies more than horses . First time I drove in the US we got a rental Camry and it was like driving a Formula 1 in comparison .

*at 4400 rpm, which you might achieve while dropping off a cliff.

On a completely unrelated note, here it's gotten very snowy and cold. I'm expecting something like this anytime when I go take photos:

Source: https://twitter.com/JoaquimCampa/status/1350843607075459073
01-18-2021, 04:48 AM - 2 Likes   #84306
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Mate of mine has just bought one of these: POER Specs and Pictures - GWM pickup site

Sold here as a GWM Cannon 4x4 it's (and I struggle to say it) surprisingly nice. And very cheap.

It comes with a 5 year service plan, 5 year / 150,000km warranty, factory everything, even diff lock. The only thing is the engine is a bit of a wheezy 2 litre diesel.

Full specs here. My mate bought the top of the line model. GWM Ute dual-cab 2021 pricing and features
So this is what happens when the Chinese enter the pickup market?

The bed is too small.

Anything less than an 8 foot bed is useless.

Now here is a real pickup.

And it has a real diesel, Cummins ISB, 5.9 liter, 24 valve turbocharged diesel with 245 horsepower and 505 foot pounds of torque, backed up with an New Venture 6 speed manual transmission.
01-18-2021, 11:37 AM - 4 Likes   #84307
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm sure my grandfather did learn about marking his tools, through experience. Over the years I've etched my tools with my initials, for the same reason as my GF and your great uncle.
Decades ago I worked in a place where one of my colleagues, Fred, used to mark all his "nickable" stuff with "Stolen from Fred"

---------- Post added 01-18-21 at 06:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Years ago I learned that lesson. I was 17ish and bought my first motorcycle. Unfortunately, my Dad only had imperial tools so off we went to "Pascals", the local hardware store. As soon as we walked in, there in the bargain bin, was a metric socket set for $10. Dad bought it for me and back home we went. Within an hour I had stripped the 10 and 12 mm sockets. The next day I headed to Canadian Tire and bought a small metric socket set made by Husky. I still use that set to this day.
I still have and use most (I lost several of the sockets!) of a Kamasa 1/4 inch drive metric socket set that I bought around 1987 when I bought my first car that was "all metric"

Last edited by jeallen01; 01-18-2021 at 11:42 AM.
01-18-2021, 01:33 PM - 2 Likes   #84308
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

The bed is too small.

And it has a real diesel, Cummins ISB, 5.9 liter, 24 valve turbocharged diesel with 245 horsepower and 505 foot pounds of torque, backed up with an New Venture 6 speed manual transmission.
Nice as it is, Racer, you won't be able to park it here.
No-one sells a ute with an 8-foot bed here. Almost all double cab utes have beds roughly 5ft x 5ft which is plenty big enough for their use.

The ute sold in higher numbers than anything else is the Ford Ranger, which has a 3.2l diesel. Petrol utes are almost nonexistent.

01-18-2021, 02:18 PM   #84309
Pentaxian

No-one sells a ute with an 8-foot bed here. Almost all double cab utes have beds roughly 5ft x 5ft which is plenty big enough for their use.

The ute sold in higher numbers than anything else is the Ford Ranger, which has a 3.2l diesel. Petrol utes are almost nonexistent.
The light trucks that have an appeal to and that I have seen (films) in Australia , not sure about NZ, are the Toyota and Nissan 4WD pickup cabs and chassis with flatbeds. The flatbeds of some have short riser sides that can be dropped or lifted, according to need. They seem to be ruggedly built for an off road bias .

Those light trucks are something that I think might find a market, albeit niche market i North America. We do have mid sized, compact pickup trucks over here, Toyota, Nissan, Chevrolet/GMC, Ford come to mind and they are reasonably popular. Of these, I believe only the GM Colorado/GMC have diesel engines available and they use a turbocharged 2.8 liter, 4 cylinder with 369 ft. lbs. of torque.

One domestic , full sized pickup that has recently come out and is getting very good reviews is the Chevy/GMC half ton with a 3 liter, inline six cylinder diesel. Think the power rating is 277 hp, 460 ft. lbs. of torque and quite good MPG for the size and weight. If I was in the market for a pickup here, this would be the one. Maybe a used one, as they are pricey.

Video: How Does The 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 Diesel Handle the Mountains in Winter Conditions? - The Fast Lane Offroad
01-18-2021, 03:28 PM - 3 Likes   #84310
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not?

I know you are on an island, but we have smaller islands here, and I have driven and parked on most of them.

Sometimes I even make my own parking spot.
01-18-2021, 04:02 PM - 10 Likes   #84311
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
More schoolboy humor (humuor) for the gang:

01-18-2021, 04:16 PM - 6 Likes   #84312
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For @Bertwert, if he's still a part of this illustrious group:

01-18-2021, 05:56 PM - 5 Likes   #84313
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
For @Bertwert, if he's still a part of this illustrious group:
I'm still here, just busy...

Anyways, that's bloody hilarious - good advertising!
01-18-2021, 07:16 PM - 2 Likes   #84314
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

This young man in Kansas is making a pretty good living, with a YouTube channel exclusively about cars.

Is this a great job or what?
01-18-2021, 08:22 PM - 4 Likes   #84315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

The bed is too small.

Got to have the 8' bed. Otherwise where do you put plywood, drywall, sticks of conduit or pipe? I had a short bed crew cab in 2000, it had a 6' bed and regretted it until I traded it for a 2004 Duramax which I still have 320,000 miles later. If parking room or traction is an issue, we use my wife's smaller 4x4 Suburban
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo