Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2021, 02:28 PM - 3 Likes   #84496
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Rocket J. Squirrel and Bullwinkle the Moose, never get old, do they...
As Boris or Natasha would say: nyet.

01-21-2021, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #84497
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
As Boris or Natasha would say: nyet.
I believe it was Boris and Natasha that said..." We love Moose and Squirrel. "
01-21-2021, 05:59 PM - 5 Likes   #84498
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Interesting few pages.
Thoughts
Wind turbines .. the only people complaining did not have them installed on THEIR land. there are lots on the hills near by.
E V 's ... The infrastructure is not there yet. When electric cars were first mentioned we only had lead acid batteries now we have Li which can recharge faster and weigh less for the same output.
What we as the general populous think and believe is not carried by our " leaders " ( if they can't make money out of it ,it is not happening ).

BACON

Dave
01-21-2021, 06:43 PM - 2 Likes   #84499
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Also, what kind of hobs fired by Satan himself do you guys have?? Most apartments in Spain don't have more than 5.5kW of installed power, and that's for big flats, many places are on 4!
Some domestic 900mm hobs are rated as 11kW. 7.5kW is quite modest for an induction hob. My electrician friend tells fun stories of him arriving at a client's house to "connect my new kitchen hob please". When he arrives, he finds the shiny new induction hob, looks at it's installation requirements and then walks to the meter box / distribution board. Sometimes, he can make it work but other times he has fun conversations about house mains cable replacement, mains switch replacement, cooker circuit wiring replacement and all too often transformer down the road replacement. People buy stuff all the time that they cannot connect to their houses without spending big money!

01-21-2021, 06:45 PM   #84500
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Same here, when they started installing the turbines near Shelbourne Ontario near where I used to live I went to a number of locations looking for dead birds and testing for EM pollution. I found no dead birds, and the Gauss levels below a tower were half the levels of the high voltage power lines going from the road to the barn.(The birds actually sit on those wires.)

All I can think is I would have found more dead birds during the migration, (a very high percentage of birds die during migration, so even if some birds do die, you'd still have t determine the death toll from the migration increased with windmills, you may be finding birds that would have died in any case.) but for myself, I was happy to prove my own suspicion wrong. I was thinking of a broadside for the local paper supporting local anti-wind groups. My own personal conclusion after comparing this literature to what I found and measured, their case was greatly exaggerated.

My conclusion was the whole problem of wind towers could be solved by buying out the people who react negatively to EMFs (and there are very few of them). However of course, no one listens to me. I've yet to see evidence birds are an issue that involved actual science.

Based on my limited research... this is the thing, I'd have to agree with these guys.
Wind farms are hardly the bird slayers they're made out to be. Here's why

I regularly used to contribute to environmental assessment through the public response portals. It took me about 6months to cross wind power off my "risk" list.
Good information, thanks Norm.
01-21-2021, 07:30 PM - 3 Likes   #84501
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The first VCR we had was a Sony Beta. It was a remote control, but the remote control had a long cord that was connected to the VCR. I had to watch out that I didn't trip over the wire and do myself a mischief, but on the other hand I never misplaced that Sony Beta remote control. If I did lose it, I just had to go the VCR and follow the cord to the remote control.

To my eye, the Beta machine recorded better copies than our first VHS VCR. It was a pretty good machine. I think we may still have it downstairs in the storage room as we had copied some TV shows back then, that we thought we might want years later.

A former work colleague ended up marrying a woman from South America and they lived down there for a number of years. Before he left Canada, he taped a number of NHL Hockey games and Rocky & Bullwinkle TV shows. That was all, as this was TV, that as a Canuck he felt he couldn't live without, and he doubted whether it he could get it in sunny South America.

He would just watch these shows over and over. Hockey and Rocket J. Squirrel and Bullwinkle the Moose, never get old, do they...
I recently read a piece where some journalist found the interesting tidbit of information that Sony stopped making Betamax tapes in 2016. That's not a typo. 2016. He surmised that it was so long after the death of the Beta format that it must have been pure stubbornness that made them manufacture the tapes until then. Here's his article: Wait, Why Was Sony Still Creating New Betamax Tapes? - CINEMABLEND

But, here's the thing: He's dead wrong. The reason why Sony made the tapes until 2016 was because there was a market for those tapes and the market was not home movies. It was audio master tapes. Sound studios used Beta tapes as they could fit multiple digital audio tracks on one tape. The machines were manufactured until 2002 and the tapes until 2016. Now of course, that technology is obsolete.
01-21-2021, 07:46 PM - 2 Likes   #84502
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Personally I don't remember the old VHS vs Beta VCR tape wars, but I do think you're onto something.

A side point here is that hydrogen vehicles effectively are electric vehicles, just they have a hydrogen tank and fuel cell instead of a battery (not technically true, they still have batteries, but you get the point). So does this mean that hydrogen vehicles are just an advancement of electric vehicles?
Another point is that presently, 95 % of the worlds hydrogen supply is made from natural gas or coal. I realize it can be made by electrolysis of water but that is not efficient and is only used when ultrapure hydrogen is required.

---------- Post added 01-21-21 at 08:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In your opinion. We have an excellent system for lead acid set up, where the cost of recycling is paid for up front when you purchase the battery. $10 a battery, recycling companies draw on that fund to help pay for costs. A similar system will be set up for electric car batteries. It may cost a lot more, but the recycling will be accomplished.
Is the $10 to send the batteries to Mexico? That's where most of them go to from USA. Environmentalists have shut down almost all the battery recycling plants here.

---------- Post added 01-21-21 at 08:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've seen reports of the supposed high toll on birdlife. Yet, I've been in plenty of wind farms and I've never seen a single dead bird.

Did you see many birds around the wind farms? Maybe the birds in the area were already dead when you got there. In the sixties I hiked a lot on the North Yorkshire moors. I noticed that I never saw birds near the Fylingdales BMEWS radar. I later heard that microwave radiation fried then if they got too near. I also read that not painting windmills white reduces bird kill by 70%

Last edited by mkgd1; 01-21-2021 at 09:19 PM.
01-21-2021, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #84503
Pentaxian

I didn't know that, but I'm not surprised, given hybrids in addition to their EV motors, also have that IC engine.
Apparently hybrids driven hard are at least equally, possibly more, polluting than regular IC cars. And there is the temptation to operate on long journeys as IC which gives no advantage.
01-21-2021, 10:22 PM   #84504
Pentaxian

One vibe I pick up from the average guy around here in my burg, is a sense that a number of people think that 'fueling' an EV will be cheaper than gas...which by the way has gone up due to additional carbon taxes. I do believe in the old demand and supply ...where more demand on supply usually ends up being more money to pay for the supply. I would hazard the guess that once EV has taken over, maybe before, the cost of consumer electricity will rise. Maybe I'm just cynical.
With proper power supply management of charging overnight, for example where you tell the charger when you want your car ready, the power supplier will benefit from continuous power demand, saving on the high cost of spinning reserve in power stations over night. In the old days that was the reason for discount off peak power.
01-21-2021, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #84505
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
What type of batteries? The BMS on most LiFePO4 batteries ***** down charging at 0C (32F).
Spelling!

Was that auto typo striking again.
01-21-2021, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #84506
Pentaxian

Here there is a city plan to charge about USD12 per vehicle per day to drive on certain roads in the centre of the city unless the vehicle is 100% no emissions (at the vehicle). Starts later this year. The problem is that the routes include the through routes near the city centre around the famous university that brags about being old and claims to be number one in the world. The alternative routes add about 5 miles to journeys, or even more.
01-21-2021, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #84507
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Apparently hybrids driven hard are at least equally, possibly more, polluting than regular IC cars. And there is the temptation to operate on long journeys as IC which gives no advantage.
If I ever got a hybrid, it would be for one reason. To have a back up engine when the EV motor runs out of juice.

Reason for that is, where I live are vast rural distances between points, very cold winters, lack of EV charging and service infrastructure , and at this point, pure EV vehicles cannot be totally relied on to operate reliably in these conditions. This isn't Los Angeles or London.

Will these EV issues be solved ? Eventually yes, but currently...out here...they are not at that point.
01-21-2021, 10:57 PM   #84508
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
With proper power supply management of charging overnight, for example where you tell the charger when you want your car ready, the power supplier will benefit from continuous power demand, saving on the high cost of spinning reserve in power stations over night. In the old days that was the reason for discount off peak power.
We need to see how it all works in actual conditions.

My understanding is that a state like California still does experiences brown outs and black outs in their electricity delivery to customers.
01-22-2021, 12:44 AM - 5 Likes   #84509
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Whazzup?

Around here we're having a bit of wind.

01-22-2021, 12:53 AM - 2 Likes   #84510
Pentaxian

Another problem in England with EV is that many people do not have on property parking, they just get a permit that allows them to park somewhere in the street outside. So charge points for overnight charge need to be provided all along the street. A few is not good enough because that would require people to go out to repark their car when charged so someone else can get a share of the action. And you would be going out all night to check the charge point is free to plug in. My employer has ONE charge point in the car park. That makes it hard to rely on charging while at work.

At work and at home you only need low rate charging but you need it at many parking spaces. The small number of units should make it reasonable cost to build.

Fast charging is needed at service centres where people are only stopped for charge. What is needed is top up charging at places people stop for other reasons like shopping centre car parks.