Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2021, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #84721
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The Webster Dictionary is a good dictionary. A member of our family was from Tennessee in the states and he inherited a family Webster's Dictionary that was printed sometime in the 1840's. I remember looking through it and going to Passenger Pigeon.

It described the bird very well and further reported that these birds were tremendous in numbers, pests and aside from providing the ingredients for pigeon pie, were also useful to use as material to fill pot holes in the roads.
In the early 1800s there were still something like 3-5 billion passenger pigeons, so yeah, tremendous is the word.

But, according to Wikipedia, "the last confirmed wild bird is thought to have been shot in 1901."

We're good at a lot of things, but death and destruction we're great at.

01-27-2021, 04:19 AM - 3 Likes   #84722
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
We're good at a lot of things, but death and destruction we're great at.
A man has to do what he is good at, eh?
01-27-2021, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #84723
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You're probably looking in the wrong dictionary. I would give a Webster's dictionary a look.

Donuts or doughnuts are kind of a North American thing. I put this link in that 'splains it all.

Doughnut - Wikipedia

Back in the '70's a buddy of mine, married a Brazilian woman and he moved down to Brazil. He thought about trying to get either a Robins Donut or Tim Horton's Donut franchise, as he said, down then there weren't any donuts and he thought he could make a financial killing, as the South Americans would love to try something new and have a donut with their coffee. Both these coffee and donut outlets are Canadian companies . Tim Hortons was named after a former NHL hockey player, does very well here.

As it happens he didn't establish a donut or doughnut store.
There are donuts here: Krispy Kreme. Sold at all good motorway rest areas and some other places.
01-27-2021, 04:31 AM - 2 Likes   #84724
Pentaxian

The Webster Dictionary is a good dictionary. A member of our family was from Tennessee in the states and he inherited a family Webster's Dictionary that was printed sometime in the 1840's. I remember looking through it and going to Passenger Pigeon.

It described the bird very well and further reported that these birds were tremendous in numbers, pests and aside from providing the ingredients for pigeon pie, were also useful to use as material to fill pot holes in the roads.

I found it interesting to peruse the ancient volume and see how word uses, descriptions of subjects, items, etc.... have changed and / or were viewed back in those times.

Old books can tell us a lot about our forbears, society, etc. I have been fortunate over the years, to on occasion, visit with university professors and review old books, at open house days. I recall one book went back to the 12th century and aside from the fascinating text, had some interesting artwork.

Old maps are equally fascinating. You can tell a lot about the history and peoples of the world, just by spending time looking at centuries old maps...seeing how borders changed and why.

Someone once said that those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it.

When I read that last line, I think of two things.

First, that line is food for thought .

Secondly..... speaking of food.......I thought we were originally talking about donuts, for heaven's sake.
At the Bodleian Library you need special permission to use the collection of pre 1700 books. They do have a lot of them.

01-27-2021, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #84725
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Or the ham in hamburger
Some have bacon, which is a related preparation of pork.
01-27-2021, 04:34 AM   #84726
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I, in fact, had one last week with serrano ham
01-27-2021, 04:36 AM   #84727
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I, in fact, had one last week with serrano ham
The exception that proves ...

01-27-2021, 04:47 AM - 3 Likes   #84728
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What did Mark mean? I must be having a slow day.
01-27-2021, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #84729
Veteran Member

Oh the ingenuity of those 'mericans!
Panera Made a Bread Bowl Glove for Holding Your Iced Coffee on Cold Days
01-27-2021, 05:06 AM - 3 Likes   #84730
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
What did Mark mean? I must be having a slow day.
If you're serious, here's a hint:

01-27-2021, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #84731
Veteran Member

The bakery in the small town where we lived, until I was 14, would always give us a baker's dozen when we bought donuts.
Man they had killer cream horns, and maple long Johns!
01-27-2021, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #84732
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Donuts or doughnuts are kind of a North American thing.
à la Laugh-In: Look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls!
01-27-2021, 09:11 AM - 3 Likes   #84733
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Sunday upon returning home from work I discovered the hot water tank had finally begun leaking. I can’t complain, the system was installed 12 years ago, and performed well beyond the six year warranty against leaking.

Spent Sunday cleaning up the minor flooding in the basement.

Fortunately we bought a new tank last summer, on a screaming deal on a new hybrid water heater with a heat pump. It was sitting a few feet away from the original heaters just waiting for me to install it.

Monday I took stock of the materials I would need for the swap, went into the city and bought a bunch of fittings and pipe, drove the 25 miles back to the house and commenced to imitate a plumber. Late in the day I realized that more fittings and pipe were needed, so I headed to the nearby small town, which has a small mom n pop hardware store (I really should shop there more often, as they always have everything, at competitive prices) and got more stuff. I got there just before they closed, but they let me get what I needed.

Headed back to the house, and jumped back into the task at hand. I worked feverishly and around 4 am Tuesday I realized I still needed a few fittings and some more pipe. After a short nap, I had some coffee, fixed breakfast and then went back to the hardware store, again.

Late Tuesday I was wrapping up and realized I was short one 90 degree elbow, so a fourth trip to the store and then I was done.

I still need to wrap the pipes with insulation, but it is pretty much done.

A before and after:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
01-27-2021, 09:13 AM - 4 Likes   #84734
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It ain’t a bacon cheeseburger without the bacon.

Speaking of which, Monday the lovely Mrs. Racer made homemade hamburger buns, then grilled up some bacon cheeseburgers for lunch.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
01-27-2021, 09:47 AM - 2 Likes   #84735
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Sunday upon returning home from work I discovered the hot water tank had finally begun leaking. I can’t complain, the system was installed 12 years ago, and performed well beyond the six year warranty against leaking.

Spent Sunday cleaning up the minor flooding in the basement.

Fortunately we bought a new tank last summer, on a screaming deal on a new hybrid water heater with a heat pump. It was sitting a few feet away from the original heaters just waiting for me to install it.

Monday I took stock of the materials I would need for the swap, went into the city and bought a bunch of fittings and pipe, drove the 25 miles back to the house and commenced to imitate a plumber. Late in the day I realized that more fittings and pipe were needed, so I headed to the nearby small town, which has a small mom n pop hardware store (I really should shop there more often, as they always have everything, at competitive prices) and got more stuff. I got there just before they closed, but they let me get what I needed.

Headed back to the house, and jumped back into the task at hand. I worked feverishly and around 4 am Tuesday I realized I still needed a few fittings and some more pipe. After a short nap, I had some coffee, fixed breakfast and then went back to the hardware store, again.

Late Tuesday I was wrapping up and realized I was short one 90 degree elbow, so a fourth trip to the store and then I was done.

I still need to wrap the pipes with insulation, but it is pretty much done.

A before and after:
All this discovering you need more parts- is that how you work at the big shed?