02-23-2021, 04:07 PM - 5 Likes   #85786
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Okay, so we have:
Head achy
General crappyocity
Lethargy

Medically, for me anyway, that's known as status quo.

02-23-2021, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #85787
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Tuna always wanted to be the chicken of the sea and never was good enough
That's right. I couldn't exactly remember how all those adverts went, just remembered that I thought they were good.
02-23-2021, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #85788
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Looks like Pratt & Whitney will be buying this guy a new pickup.
Geez. Good thing he and others weren't in that pickup, when the engine hit the cab.
02-23-2021, 05:04 PM - 6 Likes   #85789
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nah. That will buff right out.

02-23-2021, 05:24 PM - 4 Likes   #85790
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Okay, so we have:
Head achy
General crappyocity
Lethargy

Was gonna say, apart from the headache, that sounds like me in 7 hours when I have to roll myself out of bed and into the lab...
02-23-2021, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #85791
Pentaxian

After ten years of court cases between P&W and the airline with each trying to dodge responsibility while the poor guy on the ground has no resolution.
02-23-2021, 11:44 PM - 2 Likes   #85792
Pentaxian

Okay, so we have:
Head achy
General crappyocity
Lethargy

Of course there is a head ache when the music is that loud.

02-24-2021, 02:02 AM - 6 Likes   #85793
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, so we have:
Head achy
General crappyocity
Lethargy

Here, this will help!

02-24-2021, 05:49 AM - 3 Likes   #85794
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A few old VW stories form my youth.

A friend had one. Would only run on one cylinder but as the engine warmed up the other three would kick in.

Another friend of mine had one. He used candles to defrost his windshield. His beater did not have the optional heater.

When I managed a gas station the night shift guy always had interesting stories. One morning he told me of a girl who stopped in the night before with her Beetle and asked him to add a quart of antifreeze to her radiator. He tried to explain to her that she had an air cooled engine and did not need any antifreeze. She got all huffy, accused him of calling her boyfriend a liar and being lazy for not wanting to do his job. So he told her to start her engine. He lifted the bonnet, took a quart of antifreeze and poured it all over her engine. This got her concerned about all the steam but he told her it was just the antifreeze working and all was okay. She paid for it and drove off happy.

Those old Beetles had to be about the greatest cars ever made.
02-24-2021, 08:19 AM - 8 Likes   #85795
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Here, this will help!
02-24-2021, 08:51 AM - 4 Likes   #85796
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Geez. Good thing he and others weren't in that pickup, when the engine hit the cab.
Actually it was only a portion of the inlet cowling.

The majority of the engine was still attached the wing. Had the whole engine fallen on that pickup, there would be a large depression in the driveway, with a flattened pickup underneath the engine. Jet engines weigh about 12,000 lbs.

Here are a pair of inlet cowlings.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by Racer X 69; 02-24-2021 at 09:04 AM.
02-24-2021, 09:10 AM - 5 Likes   #85797
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
A few old VW stories form my youth.

A friend had one. Would only run on one cylinder but as the engine warmed up the other three would kick in.

Another friend of mine had one. He used candles to defrost his windshield. His beater did not have the optional heater.

When I managed a gas station the night shift guy always had interesting stories. One morning he told me of a girl who stopped in the night before with her Beetle and asked him to add a quart of antifreeze to her radiator. He tried to explain to her that she had an air cooled engine and did not need any antifreeze. She got all huffy, accused him of calling her boyfriend a liar and being lazy for not wanting to do his job. So he told her to start her engine. He lifted the bonnet, took a quart of antifreeze and poured it all over her engine. This got her concerned about all the steam but he told her it was just the antifreeze working and all was okay. She paid for it and drove off happy.

Those old Beetles had to be about the greatest cars ever made.
On my '61 Beetle I put a frost shield on the inside of the windshield as with our -30 weather, the defroster / heater which relied on heat coming from the air cooled engine, wasn't enough to keep passengers warm or the windshield defrosted. Later on I had a '69 VW Beetle which had the optional gas heater and that kept all passengers warm and all windows defrosted.

I never got stuck in my air cooled, rear engine V-Dubs...in snow or mud. I remember going to a rock concert in a farmer's field in my '61 VW. Everybody in about every model of car, paid their admission, drove over the dry field in the farmer's field, enjoyed the concert...then the heavens opened with a torrent of rain.

There was a lot of slipping, sliding, fish tailing, wheel spinning on the way out from all the regular front engined, rear drive cars. This was in the 1960's when people didn't have 4WD anything, just regular cars.

Near the exit there was a morass of mud...thick, heavy, gooey prairie gumbo...which is almost impassable for any two wheel drive vehicle. The farmer whose land the concert had been on, was an enterprising man. He sat there on his Massey-Harris farm tractor, engine idling with the metal cap over his tall exhaust stack...flapping up and down from the tractor's power strokes.

He had a grin on his face, a chain with a hook, and a hand lettered sign hastily painted on a wood board that said tows- $ 5.

Some people tried to drive across this huge mudhole and invariably got stuck...real good...about 10 feet in. He would get his $ 5, hitch them up and pull them through the mud.

Then it was my turn and I thought I think my V-Dub will get through this, or at least I'll give it a shot and if I can't make it through, then I'll pay my 5 bucks.

I backed up about 20 feet, revved the engine to get full advantage of my 37.5 horsepower, popped the clutch , hit the redline in first, then hammered a shift to second to get as much momentum as I could and der Beetle slipped, slid and spun it's wheels at top revs ('bout 3800 rpm) through this previously impenetrable mud hole and got to the other side on it's own power and merits. I saved 5 bucks, had the satisfaction of wiping the grin off the grasping farmer and yes...could hear a bit of a cheer from the stuck multitudes.

The VW Beetle with it's tall, skinny tires (5.60-15), great traction with the engine directly over the rear drive wheels, the chassis with it's smooth, one piece, sheet metal bottom (which slid over snow and mud) and light weight, combined to never get me stuck, as long as I used momentum and lots of it.
02-24-2021, 09:12 AM - 2 Likes   #85798
Pentaxian

Actually it was only a portion of the inlet cowling.

The majority of the engine was still attached the wing. Had the whole engine fallen on that pickup, there would be a large depression in the driveway, with a flattened pickup underneath the engine. Jet engines weigh about 12,000 lbs.

Here are a pair of inlet cowlings.
Those inlet cowlings look bad enough....all by themselves... to drop on old Betsy ...the guy's pick up truck.
02-24-2021, 11:16 AM - 4 Likes   #85799
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Those inlet cowlings look bad enough....all by themselves... to drop on old Betsy ...the guy's pick up truck.
When you look at what hit his pickup, all you see is the leading edge of the cowling, not the whole thing.

The shiny ring in this picture:

It was separated from the rest of the cowling, which is composite, and likely was broken into dozens of pieces by the engine fan failure.

This is that ring.

Here is a generic diagram of a jet engine and all the stuff that surrounds it. You see very little of the engine when it is hanging from the wing.
Attached Images

02-24-2021, 11:23 AM - 3 Likes   #85800
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Then there is this car with another engine piece sticking out of the roof.