Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #8641
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,061
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You can always tell a Texan, but you can't tell him much.
Heard that somewhere before.
May 16th. is getting close, Godzilla time is almost here...time to lock and load your paint-ball gun`s with Cheese-Balls.
And hope for the best.

05-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #8642
Veteran Member
Joel B's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,336
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Cheese-Balls.
Limburger! If Custer would have had Limburger, he would have been smart enough to stay home and not tork off a bunch of well armed Sioux!! Maybe? If Godzilla hates cheese we can launch Limburger at him with camera straps!!
05-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #8643
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,832
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Are you asserting it is like Queensland, a foreign country where they spell beer "XXXX".
Well not exactly.

Sometimes I forget that we have a worldwide group of very diverse people here. And I also sometimes stick my foot in my mouth (or keyboard), because I am not always as learned about the details of a historical nature in parts of the world that I have never been to.

But I have been getting quite an education, to be sure.

So if the Boys in Queensland spell Adult Malted Barley Pops "XXXX", and the Boys in the other Australian states consider them "Foreigners", because of that, well then maybe.

But only maybe, because I only recently learned that "Fosters" is not "Australian for Beer" like the commercials in the US tell us, and that you Boys Down There actually dislike Fosters.

You see, sometimes we let the Advertising Executives in Board Rooms tell us what other parts of the world are like, and fail to actually find out for ourselves.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
As this is a world-wide forum, some may not be aware that for just shy of ten years (March 1836 - Feb 1846) Texas was a sovereign nation.
And there are a number of folks in that state today who would like nothing more than to have it happen all over again, permanently.

But I think they have not fully considered just how much the Fed contributes to their "Republic" that would go away should they no longer have status as a part of These United States.

And Now I will stop with the "Quasi Political" talk, lest I get my butt kicked by a m0dUlAt0r.

Or something.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Rupert's old enough that he remembers it.
Yes, he has to be.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You can always tell a Texan, but you can't tell him much.
I remember hearing that said about a Swede once.

I think I will go hide now.

Like I said in another thread a few minutes ago, "Goodnight Johnboy".

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-14-2014 at 06:04 PM.
05-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #8644
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,483
Danger Will Robinson!!
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
And Now I will stop with the "Quasi Political" talk, lest I get my butt kicked by a m0dUlAt0r.
Copy Quote was already highlighted for the previous line before I read this qualification.

05-13-2014, 03:39 AM   #8645
Veteran Member
Joel B's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,336
Drove to Chicago and back over the weekend and saw something seriously troubling. About two dozen disabled cars and at least ten semi trucks! Never in my travels have I seen such a large number of breakdowns on the Interstate. The trucks are interesting because in the past you just didn't see them disabled. Racer, your the expert, what do you think? New emission systems? Skimping on maintenance?
05-13-2014, 04:31 AM   #8646
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,882
"XXXX" is alleged, by those from states where other beer brands prevail, to be because of some limitation on the ability of those in Queensland to spell. However, that might not be true.


But then again, they did have a Minister for Horse racing, under former Premier, Sir Joh (all Australians will remember him), Russ Hinze, who won the beer belly competition, after he and a bunch of other men with a long history of drinking beer bared sufficient to enable the judges to judge.


We have some colourful types who get into position of political leadership. At least the punters get plenty to laugh about.


As for beer, each state has its own main brands. And these days, after the restrictions on DUI boutique and more up-market brands have grown up.
05-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #8647
Loyal Site Supporter
Pioneer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Elko, Nevada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,167
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
But only maybe, because I only recently learned that "Fosters" is not "Australian for Beer" like the commercials in the US tell us, and that you Boys Down There actually dislike Fosters.
Ok...I think we need to clear something up RIGHT now.

I have spent a ton of time down under and I can tell with great authority...though a somewhat foggy and soggy memory...that Aussies of all types and stripes love their beer. So, you need to understand that when a mate tells you he doesn't LIKE Fosters, what he really means is that he prefers Victoria's Bitter or some other beer, but he will gladly drink Fosters in a shout with his mates.
05-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #8648
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,882
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Ok...I think we need to clear something up RIGHT now.

I have spent a ton of time down under and I can tell with great authority...though a somewhat foggy and soggy memory...that Aussies of all types and stripes love their beer. So, you need to understand that when a mate tells you he doesn't LIKE Fosters, what he really means is that he prefers Victoria's Bitter or some other beer, but he will gladly drink Fosters in a shout with his mates.


Yes, but I prefer the beer from the brewery that sponsors my old high school. When I was at school we were not allowed to drink the sponsor's product!

05-14-2014, 05:29 AM   #8649
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,832
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Drove to Chicago and back over the weekend and saw something seriously troubling. About two dozen disabled cars and at least ten semi trucks! Never in my travels have I seen such a large number of breakdowns on the Interstate. The trucks are interesting because in the past you just didn't see them disabled. Racer, your the expert, what do you think? New emission systems? Skimping on maintenance?
Well I don't know about the cars, but if the trucks were running for CMC Trucking {the Chicago Motor Club, my way of being sarcastic about a certain group of drivers who are actually from Eastern Europe}, well, they run Clapped Out Slag Heaps, held together with bungee cords, duct tape and bailing wire. They run illegally, speed excessively, cause wrecks and then blame everyone within a two mile radius, and generally give trucking a bad name.

Oh, and most of their trucks are Volvos.

Something about liking what they drove back home.

And not one of them has a K3.
05-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #8650
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,483
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Ok...I think we need to clear something up RIGHT now.

I have spent a ton of time down under and I can tell with great authority...though a somewhat foggy and soggy memory...that Aussies of all types and stripes love their beer. So, you need to understand that when a mate tells you he doesn't LIKE Fosters, what he really means is that he prefers Victoria's Bitter or some other beer, but he will gladly drink Fosters in a shout with his mates.
Yep.

I'm from St. Louis - where beer comes on a wagon pulled by Clydesdales and the Busch family is demi-royalty.

When I was a freshman in college, the third or fourth weekend I drew the 'Beer' straw, meaning I had to drive down to the ABC store. Without giving it much thought I of course bought 12 cases of Budweiser ($5.99 a case!!), having not really noticed that the prior weekends the beer was always Schlitz (gack!).

Everyone from Northern Virgina complained - but nobody refused to drink it.
05-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #8651
Emperor and Senpai
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,124
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well I don't know about the cars, but if the trucks were running for CMC Trucking {the Chicago Motor Club, my way of being sarcastic about a certain group of drivers who are actually from Eastern Europe}, well, they run Clapped Out Slag Heaps, held together with bungee cords, duct tape and bailing wire. They run illegally, speed excessively, cause wrecks and then blame everyone within a two mile radius, and generally give trucking a bad name.

Oh, and most of their trucks are Volvos.

Something about liking what they drove back home.

And not one of them has a K3.
When I used to work customer support/tech support on Cummins engines we always called people with certain accents Volvo Drivers, because invariably that is what they would say when you asked them the make of the truck.
05-14-2014, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #8652
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,216
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Racer, your the expert, what do you think? New emission systems? Skimping on maintenance?
Steve thinks "gypo" owner/operators who can scarcely afford fuel and truck payments, much less tires and maintenance. There are hundreds of them in our county and you see their trucks parked (sometimes for weeks) on various backstreets where they are stored between runs rather than paying to put them where they can be legally parked. Oh, and most are from south of a particular border or from east of a former curtain.


Steve
05-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #8653
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,832
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Steve thinks "gypo" owner/operators who can scarcely afford fuel and truck payments, much less tires and maintenance. There are hundreds of them in our county and you see their trucks parked (sometimes for weeks) on various backstreets where they are stored between runs rather than paying to put them where they can be legally parked. Oh, and most are from south of a particular border or from east of a former curtain.


Steve
You pretty much nailed it Steve!
05-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #8654
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,061
I bet this cat is not afraid of hociR or Godzilla and prefers a K9 to a K3.
AMAZING VIDEO: Cat saves boy from dog attack in Southwest Bakersfield - 23ABC News
05-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #8655
Senior Member
karro's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Riga
Photos: Albums
Posts: 245
association game: K9 -> K19 -> widowmaker; I can only hope Pentax never releases a K19 camera; might not be well suited for wedding work, I presume..
Reply
« False colour | - »

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
arctic cold, aussie shepherds, bacon, basque paella, beer, caffeine, camera, canada, catch 22, cheddar, cheese, dachsunds, dew, drink, dslr, gin, hair, igunaq, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, maine, marital relations, mother, mountain, norm, patent, pentax k-3, pentax lens, possums, research, ricoh, rupert, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, study, toilet, tokyo, veggies, vermont, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I will buy a K3 chicagojohn Pentax K-3 80 09-18-2016 08:42 AM
Suggestion Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread crewl1 Site Suggestions and Help 61 10-04-2014 05:08 PM
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs Racer X 69 Pentax K-5 40 02-03-2014 08:12 PM
Why I don't buy Pentax lenses keyser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 12-20-2012 01:58 AM
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy Nesster General Talk 27 04-22-2012 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:02 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top