Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To OP: same for me here but different reason... I won't buy a Mustang unless it has a Ford logo on it; because I can't stand GM cars...

10-10-2013, 02:42 PM - 3 Likes   #77
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, I am quite pleased about the little nod to Ricoh on the back LCD. The first camera I ever bought (as a teenager in about 1980) was a Ricoh KR-10. It was a wonderful camera and is the reason I still had K-mount glass when I bought my first DSLR - the somewhat similarly-named K10D.

With the K-3 it feels like I have gone full circle. Well played Ricoh.
10-10-2013, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think (opinion only here) the question boils down to whether the addition of Ricoh name to the visible part of the camera (especially if only visible to the shooter) has net positive value.

In the sensor source debate thread derekkite finally explained to me that Sony might believe Ricoh when Ricoh described its business plan for Pentax - and because they believed Ricoh, Sony might allow Ricoh custom-design privileges on their run of sensors (where Pentax might never have been allowed such).

In much they same way, how many new buyers interested in Pentax might have held back becasue they just weren't sure the K-mount would survive another year? In that case the Ricoh print on the LCD might be a subtle reminder that Pentax has strong financial backing now - a parent company that is committed to the brand and to the mount. How many lens buyers might believe Ricoh who wouldn't believe Hoya?

It might just as well say, "Not made by Hoya. Made by a serious company which by the way is the 279th largest company on earth and has made cameras since 1939 - and we're happy we have the opportunity to rebuild this famous and storied brand. You can count on us"

But they can't do that. So they just print RICOH

Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a Plan and you will be Happy!!

Last edited by monochrome; 10-14-2013 at 01:53 AM.
10-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #79

My 1st Pentax SLR was a Ricoh XR-2. I liked the K-mount but the XR-2 had the features & price I liked. The K-3 looks good but I still have much to learn about my K5-ll.

10-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
lenski: The "get out and take pictures thing" is getting old. Perhaps some of us enjoy a conversation involving cameras. If you don't, go out and take some pictures.
No problem, I get the message.
10-10-2013, 02:54 PM - 2 Likes   #81
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
This thread is depressing.
Pentax is doomed

Steve
10-10-2013, 02:58 PM - 3 Likes   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a Plan and you will be Happy!!
OMG, for a second I thought you had written "Ricoh has a pin."

10-10-2013, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #83
Veteran Member

Emotional Attachments

I used to be depressed about the fact I owned a D800E.
10-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #84
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
No one *really* wants Ricoh cameras except for the GR crowd and industrial folks.
I can relate. Nobody really wants a Sony camera either...at least not those folks who remember the company as Minolta.

Seriously though, I am with those people who place great value on the Pentax name and the Asahi heritage. I am also with those people who value the availability of a K-mount dSLR, regardless of the name on the camera. That perspective might have something to do with my long history with Ricoh cameras (40+ years). Back in the day, Ricoh was a viable alternative to Pentax as a suitable body for K-mount and/or M42 glass.

Now if the future cameras are labeled Ricoh Pentax, is that any worse than Asahi Pentax or (more appropriately) Konica Minolta?

Steve
10-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #85
Veteran Member

I sold my LX and MX many years ago (I had also owned K2) and my dear old mum gave me here 35 year old Ricoh XR-1 a couple of years ago. I have no problem with the Ricoh brand because they've always made good cameras and were a supporter of the K-mount all those years ago.

10-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #86
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Pentax is doomed

Steve

10-10-2013, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #87
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
There's precedent.

C'mon, what does it matter?
Except that Honeywell was just the distributor and not a camera company per se. The point is well taken, though. When I was first getting into photography, Pentax was the name of a camera made by Asahi. We all knew that. There was also a Japanese beer by the same name (Asahi, not Pentax), but nobody was bothered by that.

Most people knew Honeywell as the name on the furnace thermostat in their house. Those of us who were into cameras also knew that the famous Strobonar flashes also bore the Honeywell name. Again, no big deal. Nobody looked down on buying a Pentax (Asahi) camera just because it had the same label as the doo-dad that turned the furnace off and on.

To make things even worse...consider the Tower (Sears house brand) versions of Asahi products...

Not my photo...stole it from pentaxforums.com...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-10-2013 at 03:30 PM.
10-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #88
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Oh! One more thing! I forgot to add why I would not be buying the K3!

Besides not currently being employed , I am seriously concerned that the K3 would make all of my lenses look sub-standard. I don't know if there is a single piece of glass in my kit that can properly support 24 non-AA Megapixels.

Steve
10-10-2013, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #89
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
OMG, for a second I thought you had written "Ricoh has a pin."
Not funny. I am still mentally scarred.

10-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Oh! One more thing! I forgot to add why I would not be buying the K3!

Besides not currently being employed , I am seriously concerned that the K3 would make all of my lenses look sub-standard. I don't know if there is a single piece of glass in my kit that can properly support 24 non-AA Megapixels.

Steve
FA77 & Sigma 50 2.8 should handle it nicely.