Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #9361
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is a wonderful thing to post on this "World Pentax Day".
Oh yes, we're already on the second of the three days called World Ricoh Day, aren't we?

Tokyo is indeed doomed.

07-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #9362
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Oh yes, we're already on the second of the three days called World Ricoh Day, aren't we?

Tokyo is indeed doomed.
World Pentax Day_* = World hocIR Days** = Groundhog Day*** ??? (a bit lost - enter Sonny & Cher music ...)

* = "typoo"; mis_ing an "s" ...
** = "be afraid, be very afraid ..."
*** = best Bill Murray film ever - except if they could make Ghostbusters III ... will miss Ramis
07-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #9363
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Occasionally (and inexplicably) we have someone post in this thread without reading each and every post first. I know, I know, shocking but true. I posted this some time back, but I think it's time for a reminder of what we're all about here.

Thirteen score and 15 days ago, a member brought forth upon this forum a new thread; conceived in disgruntlement and dedicated to the proposition that no camera should bear the name Ricoh.
Now we are engaged in a great mockery, testing whether that thread, or any thread so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
We are met in a great thread of that mockery. We have come to dedicate a portion of this thread (well, just post #1), as a final resting place for those who here gave their opinion that Pentax shot itself in the foot. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this thread. The brave men and women, living and dead, who opined here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the loyal Pentaxians, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored Pentaxians we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these loyal members shall not have posted in vain -- that this forum, under Adam, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that forum of the Pentaxians, by the Pentaxians, for the Pentaxians, shall not perish from the internet.

(Sincere apologies to Abraham Lincoln)

Parallax, until your final line I was trying to work out what era of literature/oratory you were alluding to. I had decided that it could not be much after the immediate post-WWI era but I was bothered by how early it could have gone. There were elements which made me think you could fit into the tradition of continental medieval poets: Roland or The Nibulungenleid, but it did not really have that feel to it so I was homing in on 19th century, since you had the kind for structure and grammar of authors such as Hardy, whom we found almost impenetrable when Argus introduced us as a mob of high school boys shortly before his retirement after 50 years at the school whence the boys subscribed to give him a good camera as a parting gift. BTW, his wife had been a teacher at the first school I attended and the 5-6 year olds had given her a reputation for being academically very tough.

---------- Post added 07-13-14 at 05:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
We had some yogurt too, just not the Greek kind.

It offsets the cholesterol laden bacon. Life is all about balance.

If worried about cholesterol, why not enjoy imbibing some of the solvent! Comes in brown, red and white and beyond those groups flammable if you need a lot of solvent.
07-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #9364
Site Supporter

From the hociR FB page ...

"Does this image spark World Cup excitement for you? Thanks to Lionel Deluy for the great photo. PENTAX 645D."

Nope, not at all. PHOTOSHOP!

07-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #9365
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Parallax, until your final line I was trying to work out what era of literature/oratory you were alluding to.
It is an American "thing". Many (most?) of us who were raised in this country were required to memorize Lincoln's Gettysburg address in middle school. All a person has to do is to hear the words "Four score and seven years ago..." and the context falls into place.

Steve

---------- Post added 07-12-14 at 03:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
From the hociR FB page ...

"Does this image spark World Cup excitement for you? Thanks to Lionel Deluy for the great photo. PENTAX 645D."

Nope, not at all. PHOTOSHOP!
Ha! Ha! No kidding! The hociR lies!

The photo appears to have been taken during warm-ups, the subject is doing stretches. The guy crouching (some sort of coach?) is wearing white loafers. The ball and "flying dirt" were pasted in (you don't get flying dirt on artificial turf and the ball...we won't go there...). The set of legs at left belong to someone who must have tripped over the photographer.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-12-2014 at 03:53 PM.
07-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #9366
Loyal Site Supporter

Came home from my Saturday errands with a new 50lb. tank of Propane and
  • 4 lb. Pork Tenderloin (not bacon, but in the neighborhood)
  • Peppercorn marinade
  • fresh morels
  • small yellow onions
  • baguettes
  • fresh prepared horseradish (grown one county over)
  • I'm sure there's something green in the ground out back
    • EDIT: Broccoli - bit early but we had a nice spring
  • Russet potatoes
  • Roma tomatoes
  • can of Rotel
  • bit of garlic
  • fresh cilantro
  • lime
  • cucumber
  • some of the above onion
  • Haas avocados (DK yet whether guacamole or salsa or both or just sliced in the salad)
  • (cumin, cayenne, salt)
  • fresh jalapeno
  • fresh dill weed
  • Tabasco
  • lemon
  • crudite's
  • tortilla chips
  • cervezas (many)
Party on the deck tomorrow before the Polar Vortex digs in.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-13-2014 at 10:16 AM.
07-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #9367
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
... Ha! Ha! No kidding! The hociR lies!

The photo appears to have been taken during warm-ups, the subject is doing stretches. The guy crouching (some sort of coach?) is wearing white loafers. The ball and "flying dirt" were pasted in (you don't get flying dirt on artificial turf and the ball...we won't go there...). The set of legs at left belong to someone who must have tripped over the photographer.

Steve
Yep, I love the flying dirt, the white loafers without shin guards nor socks, three different jersey combos (if the guy in the loafers is a player ), the "backlight", the leg/foot that's about to crash into about $10,000 (new retail) camera gear, etc. etc. Almost Photoshop Horrors Hall of Shame level ... bravo hociR, bravo !!!
07-13-2014, 05:01 AM   #9368
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What time do we eat, and should we bring anything?

07-13-2014, 05:33 AM   #9369
Site Supporter

Oh ... forgot to mention this.

The Belgian Red Devil hoof crushed the Brazilian umbrella foo-foo drink ... but only 3-0 this time.

Beer rules again ...

My prediction for tonight still stands ...

Leica/Leitz = 3 ... Sony A7r = 1 (and their only goal will be scored at about 75 minutes ...) J
07-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #9370
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
What time do we eat, and should we bring anything?
45 minutes after you get here and a Pentax - not a hociR.
07-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #9371

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Came home from my Saturday errands with a new 50lb. tank of Propane and
  • 4 lb. Pork Tenderloin (not bacon, but in the neighborhood)
  • Peppercorn marinade
  • fresh morels
  • small yellow onions
  • baguettes
  • fresh prepared horseradish (grown one county over)
  • I'm sure there's something green in the ground out back
  • Russet potatoes
  • Roma tomatoes
  • can of Rotel
  • bit of garlic
  • fresh cilantro
  • lime
  • cucumber
  • some of the above onion
  • Haas avocados (DK yet whether guacamole or salsa or both or just sliced in the salad)
  • (cumin, cayenne, salt)
  • fresh jalapeno
  • fresh dill weed
  • Tabasco
  • lemon
  • crudite's
  • tortilla chips
  • cervezas (many)
Sounds scrumptious!

I'll be right over!
07-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #9372

If worried about cholesterol, why not enjoy imbibing some of the solvent! Comes in brown, red and white and beyond those groups flammable if you need a lot of solvent.
Nah. I don't fret over cholesterol.

But do tell, about the brown, red and white solvents!
07-13-2014, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #9373
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nah. I don't fret over cholesterol.

But do tell, about the brown, red and white solvents!

Well, there is Coopers, which sponsors a boys high school but the boys are not allowed to use the sponsor's product. And there is a great variety of crushers of grapes nearby - Barossa Valley, Clare Valley, McLaren Vale, the Hills, Finis Creek, Padthaway, Coonawarra and the Riverland if you really must go for those marketed like I saw once "Brand-X, 5 litres, one more than others" by the head of a gentleman who had passed out in the doorway of his room in the single men's quarters at the old Leigh Creek township. After that you must go out of state!

There has been some medical study to suggest that the red one is the most effective solvent for the purpose and later work argues the contrary. Fundamental problem with our medical research following the Cartesian paradigm and wasting the vast amounts of donations in memory of the deceased.
07-13-2014, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #9374
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds scrumptious!

I'll be right over!
Based on the photo of the Jefferson Barracks Bridge through your 100% viewfinder you once posted, I wouldn't doubt it.

Bring Monstro - and the Pentax
07-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #9375

Ah, I see. Just the stuff I suspected!

. . . . . . I saw once "Brand-X, 5 litres, . . . . . .
Brand-X eh?

Mrs. Racer would like that. Her online nickname is that!