Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2014, 03:01 AM   #9646
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
So do they still keep Lenin preserved and in a glass case in Moscow?
Yep, but not in a glass cage, I think. There were some efforts during Yeltsin's days to get him buried, but these days the authorities seem intent on keeping him on display. Entrance is still free of charge, so it's just to hop on the next plane to Moscow.

Photography is not allowed, though, so there's no reason to buy a K-3 before you go.

08-04-2014, 04:53 AM   #9647

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Yes, below Marx at about the place you would see a crucifix if he had been wearing one. Quite stylised.
Thank you Tim!

When I looked at the image, no matter how many time, I missed it. And I did look at that part of it, it just didn't register in my pea head as a boat.

But I do see it now!
08-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #9648
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
So do they still keep Lenin preserved and in a glass case in Moscow?
Lenin's Mausoleum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steve
08-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #9649
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Thank you Tim!

When I looked at the image, no matter how many time, I missed it. And I did look at that part of it, it just didn't register in my pea head as a boat.

But I do see it now!

Funny how different things stand out like that to different people.

Brings to mind a big project I was working on a few years ago, supported by US government. We got to the final face to face meeting, where one item on the agenda was to review the figure to be included in the document. Two women, one of our team and a graphic artist had produced a set of figures with a common visual theme (one of my specifications) and these were presented to the meeting. At the meeting there were no women in the room (including the one who had worked with the graphic artist. Then one of those present said, we cannot accept one figure, the appearance is too phallic. So a new directive came out "change it". And the changes did happen. We all laughed a lot about that.

08-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #9650
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Civilization is doomed! Doomed!
I just heard on the news that the price of bacon has increased 40% in the last 2 years to an all time high (avg) of $6.11 per pound.
Oh, the humanity!!!!
08-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #9651
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Civilization is doomed! Doomed!
I just heard on the news that the price of bacon has increased 40% in the last 2 years to an all time high (avg) of $6.11 per pound.
Oh, the humanity!!!!

Amazing, my local supermarket catalog is offering bacon on discount this week at AUD15.00/kg which is USD6.33/lb at the exchange rate currently quoted by my stockbroker. (They cut $4.00/kg for this sale.)

Trouble is, the price of everything here multiplies like that.

But then, I suppose we do at least give people at the lower end of work the dignity of not needing to beg from the customers because the restaurant actually pays them a reasonable wage. Tips here are for exceptional service, not for turning up.
08-05-2014, 11:48 PM   #9652
Site Supporter

Amazing, my local supermarket catalog is offering bacon on discount this week at AUD15.00/kg which is USD6.33/lb at the exchange rate currently quoted by my stockbroker. (They cut $4.00/kg for this sale.)

Trouble is, the price of everything here multiplies like that.

But then, I suppose we do at least give people at the lower end of work the dignity of not needing to beg from the customers because the restaurant actually pays them a reasonable wage. Tips here are for exceptional service, not for turning up.
Hm, yes, I always find it strange in that part of the world that the listed prices at restaurants doesn't seem to include pay for the people working there. One could almost expect the prices to be listed as "Rent of chair, table and cutlery $15. Please add 20 % for service, 30 % to cover the ingredients, and 10 % to cover electricity, gas, and water. Enjoy your meal!"
08-06-2014, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #9653

MrPink has a point..

08-06-2014, 12:37 AM   #9654
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Hm, yes, I always find it strange in that part of the world that the listed prices at restaurants doesn't seem to include pay for the people working there. One could almost expect the prices to be listed as "Rent of chair, table and cutlery $15. Please add 20 % for service, 30 % to cover the ingredients, and 10 % to cover electricity, gas, and water. Enjoy your meal!"

You make me think of airline ticket pricing: fare is $x plus a surcharge for the fuel!

Hm?

I thought the fare was what I pay to get me there, and fuel is part of the necessaries in order to get me there. But then I am not an airline, I only work with the guys who make the planes and teach those who will fly them. I can understand a la carte pricing of services that are genuinely optional, such as baggage or meals (but would prefer that the normal way of paying for these things is at booking time rather than as separate little hits every step of the way - makes one transaction rather than a pile of little ones. On business travel with reimbursements the acquittals process take a per transaction effort regardless of the magnitude of the transaction.

About 14 years ago our federal government introduced a Goods and Services Tax (GST) but at the same time required in the legislation that the price displayed for any good or service covered by the GST (there were a few classes of good or service not covered) must be the 'take away' price. i.e. the shop needs to do the sums to work out the GST inclusive price to make the display price instead of relying on the pimply kid at check out. This enables anyone to look at the price and their cash and work out if they have enough cash to buy without any embarrassing situations arising. Also useful if the purpose of buying something is to get the USD1 notes in change in order to pay tips for sundry minor services rendered along a business trip.
08-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #9655
Pentaxian

Sheez..... and I was actually thinking of buying a K3 to replace my K2000's! Whew, I sure dodged THAT bullet! I simply could NOT live with Ricoh on the back. But, what am I going to do with all my lenses that say Takumar and Asahi Optics on them?

Dewman
SW Idaho
08-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #9656
Site Supporter

After watching the video, reminds me of a girl I knew many years ago. She worked as a waitress in a Chinese restaurant to pay her way as a student. We walked into a bottle shop and saw a lower end white wine. She said: "I get more commission for selling that in the restaurant than the bottle shop is charging for a bottle."

I believe the staff should be properly paid, and do not begrudge them fair pay. I just prefer the price I see to include all the money expected for the goods or service. My peeve is hidden extras.
08-06-2014, 04:35 AM   #9657
Pentaxian

My peeve is hidden extras.

I'm right there with you Tim.

---------- Post added 08-06-2014 at 09:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
what am I going to do with all my lenses that say Takumar and Asahi Optics on them?

Buy a labelling machine, make as many Ricoh labels as you need, and affix said labels to your lenses.
As Parallax would say, "Sheesh".
08-06-2014, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #9658

The price of bacon is increasing? Well really, when you think about it, this guy holds all the cards. He can charge anything he wants, right?
Attached Images

08-06-2014, 06:04 AM   #9659
Loyal Site Supporter

Pray for a lot of rain and wait two years. Bacon, beef and chicken prices will return to sane levels.

hoicR, OTOH, seems to have vanished from the bodies of anything with PENTAX on the front. Apparently the tattoo was Henna. TokyoIsSpared for the moment.*

* In other news, hold on to your Fatty Flavored bacon, cheese, lutefisk and igaunac around the 6th of September. There might be an earthquake in Tokyo.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-06-2014 at 07:06 AM.
08-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #9660
Veteran Member

I'm not a huge fan of other bacon, rather have pork, but I'll eat turkey bacon before I pay $8 for a pound of pork bacon. I love it but I don't eat it so much anymore unless it comes on a sandwich or something when I eat out. It's gotten so absurdly expensive that I've resorted to buying six slices at a time at the local market in the meat section because that's all I can afford and it will do for a treat BT sandwich or a cheddar and bacon melt made at home once in a while. Eating it just with eggs for breakfast several times a week? That's over. I can't rationalize that anymore. Too much $$$$.

I may have to give up my daily chocolate ration soon, mostly for the same reason. Our favorite chewy candy, the Reisen's went up by 50 cents a bag as of yesterday. All the chocolate candy did. I knew that chocolate was supposed to be going up. There are problems right now with crop and demand, but I didn't expect that big of a hike. I'm a total chocolate addict, but I just may have to switch out my 150 calorie dessert for something a bit less chocolatey and a bit less pricey now...