Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2014, 06:20 AM   #9691
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tess just says... "I can take you.. ya know?"
Then I get the look... I saw her give the look to a police officer once. I thought she was going to get shot. The look could definitely be classified as using lethal force. He would have been well within my interpretation of the use of force guidelines.

08-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #9692
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
the look
My (then not yet) brother-in-law took me aside in 1979 and warned me about the withering glance. Then he taught me how to fly fish. Because "all the trout streams near here are beyond the event horizon".

[EDIT: Prophetic post.

Mrs. monochrome just pulled that corner of the children's bathroom wallpaper away from the wall - you know, that corner where they didn't properly close the shower curtain for 20 years so that corner peeled up a bit - and pulled, and pulled, and pulled . . . .

"Drywall Mud won't fill that."
. . .
"Well don't get mad at ME!," I said. "It isn't MY fault drywall mud won't properly fill a 1' x 3' hole in a plastered wall."
. . . "I'd think you could do SOMETHING!!!"
"Well, I can do some things, but I can't do plaster. I don't have the materials, the tools or the skill"
. . . "WHY DON'T YOU JUST TRY!!!!"
"Oh for cripes sake. It won't work. You know it and I know it. We've been doing this kind of thing to houses for thirty years. We'll have to call someone."
. . . "I DON'T WANT TO CALL SOMEONE - "
"Well, why did you pull that wallpaper off in the first place then?"
. . .

Yikes.]

[EDIT 2: I just cleaned up after carefully applying the first cut of drywall mud to the affected area of plaster. I figure by next weekend I'll be ready to glue the wallpaper back down.

(It isn't going to work.)]

Last edited by monochrome; 08-10-2014 at 11:17 AM.
08-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #9693
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Amazing, isn't it? Mrs. jac's relatives turned right at the Red Sea 60,000 years ago while mine headed Northeast, hoping to invent wine, beer and bacon. But the gene responsible for "Try that again, mister, and I'll cut your heart out and feed it to the cat!" seems not to have undergone any significant mutation.
LOL!
08-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #9694
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Then I get the look... I saw her give the look to a police officer once. I thought she was going to get shot. The look could definitely be classified as using lethal force. He would have been well within my interpretation of the use of force guidelines.
Mine reminds me every once in a while that, though I'm bigger and stronger than she, I have to go to sleep sometime.

08-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #9695
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

"Well, why did you pull that wallpaper off in the first place then?"
[/SIZE]]
Rule #1 in Law and marriage; never ask a question you don't know the answer to. We have lots of rules in our house. I just don't know what they are. If I ask, I am informed "You should know that!" without any further explication. I do know one; simply put, I can snuggle Mrs. jac anytime she wants to.

Last edited by jac; 08-10-2014 at 04:27 PM.
08-10-2014, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #9696
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Rule #1 in Law and marriage; never ask a question you don't know the answer to. We have lots of rules in our house. I just don't know what they are. If I ask, I am informed "You should know that!" without any further explication. I do know one; simply out, I can snuggle Mrs. jac anytime she wants to.
You know of course that they change the rules all the time just to confuse us... especially if you figure one out. Any rule that could in anyway restrict their ability to change the rules must be immediately changed.

Some rules have two parts.
Like if there are two pieces of chocolate left and I decide not to have mine, it's up for grabs 10 minutes later.
Where as if there're two pieces left and she decides to not to have hers, it's still hers a week later.

I always tell bachelors, if you're not prepared to live with "the rules" don't even contemplate marriage.
08-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #9697
Pentaxian

Thanks Norm,
"The Look." One of the great displeasures of married life or teaching. Since I'm returning to school next week to replace my replacement who left teaching to become a nurse while the lateral entry takes two weeks to become indoctrinated, I'll try to restore "My Look." After all, nothing says "What the +*&$#@"hociR*& were you thinking" to a middle school student than "The Look." I'm scrambling to find some thin reading glasses now to peer over.

08-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #9698
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Thanks Norm,
"The Look." One of the great displeasures of married life or teaching. Since I'm returning to school next week to replace my replacement who left teaching to become a nurse while the lateral entry takes two weeks to become indoctrinated, I'll try to restore "My Look." After all, nothing says "What the +*&$#@"hociR*& were you thinking" to a middle school student than "The Look." I'm scrambling to find some thin reading glasses now to peer over.
I avoided that scenario, I moved and didn't tell anyone at the school board where I went... one my colleagues (the other photography teacher) died suddenly of a heart attack, at his desk , and I no doubt would have gotten sucked back into the vortex if they'd had a phone number. His death however made me even more committed to retirement. He'd always planned that when he retired, him and i would move to newfoundland where I'd run an outfitting/guiding business and he'd run the cabins and shore based amenities. He never made it to newfoundland, and at 65 I'm getting to old to be guiding... if I waited until official retirement age, I'd be living a world of regret right now.

My official reason for teaching was, "Do what you have to, to get a chance to do what you love." Unofficially of course, I just love working with kids, but 30 years was enough.
08-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #9699
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Hmm, quiet around here. Is everyone out buying the K-3, under the influence of the hociR? Must be that shinier new version.

Y'all come back when you're finished placing your orders.
Nope. I'm way too busy acquiring new Olympus E-P3's. Make that THREE, gulp.
08-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #9700
Pentaxian

Bonjour gals & guys ...

Was in Paris last week on a family vacation ... Mrs. JP set a schedule of museum after museum, after museum (repeat) ... No time to think about all this hociR K-3 thingy ... but saw a lot of Canikony gear on all the "other" tourists. One Chinese guy had a D4s with super zoom at Versailles hanging on the back of a wheelchair that he was pushing ... probably his mom.

Pentax is doomed, saw only a couple of 'em ... Also, Pentax is no longer stocked at the large "fnac" store at "Place d'Italie". Scary ...
08-12-2014, 02:50 AM   #9701
Site Supporter

Hey all!

I promise I didn't disappear into some vortex! Life has just gotten rather busy lately. That's the way it is!! I got my lens prize & I haven't even had a chance to take it out & shoot with it!! I'm being completely immature & childish, but I want a vacation!!
08-12-2014, 03:37 AM   #9702
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Was in Paris last week on a family vacation
More fun than my week! Two trips to Chicago and a washing machine overhaul!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Pentax is no longer stocked at the large "fnac" store at "Place d'Italie"
Probably read this thread and realized Pentax is doomed!

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Hey all!
You're back!!!! (Snoopy dance)
08-12-2014, 04:03 AM   #9703
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Hey all!

I promise I didn't disappear into some vortex! Life has just gotten rather busy lately. That's the way it is!! I got my lens prize & I haven't even had a chance to take it out & shoot with it!! I'm being completely immature & childish, but I want a vacation!!
Bah, I have just had a vacation and I want another one. Just a bit more than two weeks is waaaay too short.

Anyway... Good to see you're still going strong - and hope you'll get a chance to give that 40 some exercise before too long.

On the positive side; you've not had time to buy a K-3.
08-12-2014, 05:07 AM   #9704
Pentaxian

Pentax is doomed; none in the crowd (except for me and the Spam-o-matic K-5 "Classic") ... but, no hociR in sight here either ?! xpost

---------- Post added 08-12-14 at 14:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
... You're back!!!! (Snoopy dance)
Didn't happen unless we see the images/video !!!
08-12-2014, 05:16 AM   #9705
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't think of a single thing I'd want to see badly enough to be in a crowd like that. My definition of a maximum acceptable crowd is 2 people ahead of me in line at Burger King.