Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 07:03 AM   #9901
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Ohh, but they will. Think about where the government gets its money.
Uhmmmmm, yeah!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If the Government mandates changes that end up saving the environment and ultimately save consumers money as in more efficient vehicles... should the government then reap the rewards by keeping the savings? The Government seems to be somehow banned from making a return on it's investments... wat wid dat?
A government sets policy that saves folks billions and they are criticized for getting too big. A privates corporation does the same thing while taking half of the billions saved as profit, and they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. There's a double standard here.
Uhmmmm, no!

[EDIT:] Actually, clarification. I often have this discussion in greater detail with friends and acquaintances. You'll understand, I think.

Government is a combination of regulations and restrictions on freedoms which are administered by people. On balance the restricted freedoms are deemed to have less value than the 'benefits' the restriction should return (some will always argue with the calculus of any individual case). The irritant always seems to come down to the people administering the restrictions.

But when people administer government with care and attention it works well.

To illustrate the point I nearly always relate an interaction I had with the Ranger at an entry point for the Quetico Provincial Park as the Adult Tour Leader for a group of American teenagers. I could say restricting entry to 3,300,000 wilderness acres to 9000 canoers at a time (about 900 going in each day for ten days) is an overly strict regulation - but here's where it works --
  1. Our entry occurred 5 minutes before the Entry Point should have closed for an hour for the Ranger's lunchtime
  2. We were fully organized and prepared, with all our forms and permits and passports
  3. Our group was quiet, patient and politely waiting its turn
  4. Other grioups were impatient and clearly ill-prepared
The Ranger invited my group to check through ahead of the other groups before she went to lunch. Our young Crew Leader presented all our documents in order without assistance from me or our Guide. He was polite and appreciative and smiled a lot. She was gracious. We completed the check through just at her lunch break.

Out of the blue this young teenager asked, "Do you accept souvenirs?" The Ranger replied, "Things of small monetary value, yes, but not money." He dipped into his haversack and pulled out a commemorative tour patch we had had made for the trip. She smiled, thanked him and suggested a special side trip on the itinerary to see a pictograph we had not known about, taking five or so minutes out of her lunch. After all the thanks I caught her eye, gave her a nod and a mouthed Thank You and she whispered, "Nice kids. Have fun."

Interestingly, one of the groups that was bumped complained rather vociferously as we left. I wonder how long they waited.

Now, a part of me is irritated that a Park Ranger used her power to make the other group wait - but the larger part of me knows my kids had a better trip - and that Crew Leader had a tiny life lesson - because government worked that time.

And that's why I won't buy a K-S1

Last edited by monochrome; 08-27-2014 at 07:36 AM.
08-27-2014, 07:06 AM   #9902
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Not related to much of anything, but...

Whaddayaknow, less than 100 to go!
08-27-2014, 07:08 AM   #9903
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Uhmmmmm, yeah!

Uhmmmm, no!
But why won't you buy a K-3?
08-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #9904
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But why won't you buy a K-3?
See my Edit above

08-27-2014, 07:40 AM   #9905
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Not related to much of anything, but...

Whaddayaknow, less than 100 to go!
Cool ... a countdown. I love countdowns ... big NASA fan from way back in the Apollo days.

Very much related. Who will be Ms. or Mr. "10,000 post" ... Does she/he get a de-hociR-ed K-3?

(or some bacon, etc.?)

(Where's Adam or Parallax when you need 'em?!)
08-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #9906
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
But the systems are far from fully developed, or without major problems. Monstro had me sitting in a truck shop in Des Moines, IA earlier this year for an entire day because the DPF had become plugged with soot, and the system that is supposed to keep it clean (regen) was not functioning correctly.
My 2010 RAM, without my camper, gets at best 18mpg on the highway. The people who delete the DPF, EGR, etc. (doing so is illegal) , are getting 21-22. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, here's how it works:
The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) traps unburned particles )and restricts airflow in the process). Under some conditions the exhaust gasses are hot enough to burn off the particles. When it isn't, fuel is injected into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke, so it is burned in the exhaust stream, raising temps enough to burn off the particulates. Great plan! Make the engine run less efficiently to begin with, then burn even more fuel in a way that produces zero thrust. This ultimately burns about 20% more fuel per mile than without the "Pollution control" system. Why, it's BRRRRRRRRRRILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIANT!

Tomorrow's lesson will be on the Diesel Exhaust Fluid system.
08-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #9907
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'm sure they will release a bling-bling K-3 soon
The hociR has no taste...all the more reason to not buy a K-3!

Steve

---------- Post added 08-27-14 at 08:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Ohh, but they will. Think about where the government gets its money.
Ummmm...that would be from me...'cept I spent all my money on a K-3

Steve

08-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #9908
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Cool ... a countdown. I love countdowns

Me too! ...and homemade rye bread.
08-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #9909
Veteran Member

... I have no problem protecting the environment. I have great problems falsifying data to support a spurious anthropogenic claim.
Can we falsify the data to support the anthropogenic claim if it isn't spurious, for dramatic effect?

All I ask is open sourcing and transparent, scientific verification.
And until we have that, I won't buy a K3.
08-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #9910
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread will NOT turn to politics!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled lutefisk and bacon on lefse sandwiches.
08-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #9911
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My bad.
08-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #9912
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry, no bacon on this one. Although I'm sure the lyrebird would taste nice wrapped in bacon.

But somebody's better update this bird on camera sounds. I mean, a winder? Really?

Actually, you can't get a winder with the K-3 - which is a really, really good reason to stay away!
08-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #9913
Veteran Member

I second the motion,, I will not buy a KS-1!

I may have to retract my earlier statement about not buying another K3 as well. One trip to the "Bird Park" and my GF already hates her K-30 after seeing my K3 pics.

The K3 may end up being the most expensive camera I ever purchased after I buy HER a K3.

She wouldn't even take my K5iis, turned up her nose at it like a cat to dry food.

---------- Post added 08-27-2014 at 11:39 AM ----------

P.S. I just thought of a great name for the Pentax FF when it eventually comes out... the K-Y

Last edited by nomadkng; 08-27-2014 at 11:39 AM.
08-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #9914
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote

I may have to retract my earlier statement about not buying another K3 as well. One trip to the "Bird Park" and my GF already hates her K-30 after seeing my K3 pics.

The K3 may end up being the most expensive camera I ever purchased after I buy HER a K3.

She wouldn't even take my K5iis, turned up her nose at it like a cat to dry food.

P.S. I just thought of a great name for the Pentax FF when it eventually comes out... the K-Y
Be careful ... that's a slippery slope leading to nuthin' but "double trouble" (enter SRV blues tune) , and we've been there before

Plus this kind of talk could get you into the crossbar hotel ... Girls, we have another potential customer.

08-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #9915
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote

Sounds like an expensive GF.