Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #9916
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Be careful ... that's a slippery slope leading to nuthin' but "double trouble" (enter SRV blues tune) , and we've been there before

Plus this kind of talk could get you into the crossbar hotel ... Girls, we have another potential customer.
Ah, yes, the K-3 police. Makes me think of one of the give-aways at an IT conference I attended in the Netherlands quite some years ago. They look like these:

The woman scanning the hand luggage at the airport did have an extra look at the screen before calling her supervisor over. They both studied the screen, looked at me, then, shaking their heads, sent my luggage on.

Strange. It's not like it was a K-3 or anything.

08-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #9917
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Ah, yes, the K-3 police. Makes me think of one of the give-aways at an IT conference I attended in the Netherlands quite some years ago. They look like these:

The woman scanning the hand luggage at the airport did have an extra look at the screen before calling her supervisor over. They both studied the screen, looked at me, then, shaking their heads, sent my luggage on.

Strange. It's not like it was a K-3 or anything.
... and as Monochrome would say, "I'll take the one with the handcuffs."
08-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #9918
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
My 2010 RAM, without my camper, gets at best 18mpg on the highway. The people who delete the DPF, EGR, etc. (doing so is illegal) , are getting 21-22. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, here's how it works:
The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) traps unburned particles )and restricts airflow in the process). Under some conditions the exhaust gasses are hot enough to burn off the particles. When it isn't, fuel is injected into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke, so it is burned in the exhaust stream, raising temps enough to burn off the particulates. Great plan! Make the engine run less efficiently to begin with, then burn even more fuel in a way that produces zero thrust. This ultimately burns about 20% more fuel per mile than without the "Pollution control" system. Why, it's BRRRRRRRRRRILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIANT!

Tomorrow's lesson will be on the Diesel Exhaust Fluid system.

That sounds like a technical solutions to a silly measure of success of the objective. I think many of the technical solutions described here are because measures are things that are easy to measure in a workshiop such as ppm of ... . Surely a maximised fuel efficiency:
1. reduces the consumption of fuel and the payment to source countries and all the effects of supplying other people with money.
2. reduces the total amount of stuff going out the pipe.
3. more completely burns the fuel, reducing the amount of nasty compounds or particulates released, with only small weight gasses like water and CO2 coming out.

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 05:41 AM ----------

Be careful ... that's a slippery slope leading to nuthin' but "double trouble" (enter SRV blues tune) , and we've been there before

Plus this kind of talk could get you into the crossbar hotel ... Girls, we have another potential customer.

Following the reasoning that comes from Confucious "the first thing I would do if I were emperor is name things properly" - those girls have labels on to say they are 'polite'. What is wrong with them?
08-27-2014, 01:54 PM - 2 Likes   #9919
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This thread will NOT turn to politics!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled lutefisk and bacon on lefse sandwiches.
In that case... I won't buy a K3 because of this

08-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #9920
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL
08-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #9921
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
in that case... I won't buy a k3 because of this lutefisk song - youtube
Brillant !!!
08-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #9922
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

That would make a great theme song for the thread.

Or:

08-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #9923

77 posts to go. just sayin'..

08-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #9924
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Clearly, you can't count. It's only 76.
08-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #9925

o_O, what sorcery is this.. now it's only 75!
08-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #9926

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Mine's petrol, 91 RON.
So it isn't like Europe then? As I understand it, in Europe the ratio of diesel to petrol powered vehicles is biased towards diesel.
08-27-2014, 04:34 PM   #9927

Mine is a 2.0 liter turbo-charged diesel ...
I suspected as much!
08-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #9928

My 2010 RAM, without my camper, gets at best 18mpg on the highway. The people who delete the DPF, EGR, etc. (doing so is illegal) , are getting 21-22. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, here's how it works:
The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) traps unburned particles )and restricts airflow in the process). Under some conditions the exhaust gasses are hot enough to burn off the particles. When it isn't, fuel is injected into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke, so it is burned in the exhaust stream, raising temps enough to burn off the particulates. Great plan! Make the engine run less efficiently to begin with, then burn even more fuel in a way that produces zero thrust. This ultimately burns about 20% more fuel per mile than without the "Pollution control" system. Why, it's BRRRRRRRRRRILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIANT!

Tomorrow's lesson will be on the Diesel Exhaust Fluid system.
My 2001 Ram has a 24 valve ISB, with the 6 speed manual gearbox. I have gotten as high as 21 mpg with it (but I really have to work at it), and regularly get 16 to 18.

No DPF.

No DOC.

No DEF (urea).

245 hp, 505 ftlbs torque, box stock.

Going racing at Thunderhill some years back with the car, trailer, extra race fuel, tires, tools, etc. and the camper all loaded up and it grossed out at about 21,500lbs.

Got as high as 18mpg on that trip, and it had no trouble with the mountains in Southern Oregon and Northern California.

Just passed 125,000 miles. Still has the original brake linings (front and rear), on the second set of tires. Changed the oil and filter every 5,000 miles (I know the manual says every 7,500 miles, but hey, oil is cheap!). Replaced the accessory drive belt at 100,000 and placed the original in the "spares" kit. One of the headlight bulbs went out at about 75,000 miles, all the other lighting is original.

This should be the last pickup I ever buy.

Kind of like the K5IIs.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 08-27-2014 at 05:14 PM.
08-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #9929
Site Supporter

I just pre/ordered half the K-3 so I don't need the whole thing... and I got the bling, so gotta wear

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 08-27-2014 at 05:11 PM.
08-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #9930

Mrs. Racer made Meatloaf Surprise for dinner tonight. Inside the loaf was some cheddar cheese, and BACON!

Just sayin. . . . .

. . . . . carry on.