Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Salmiakki to the resque.
http://www.amazon.com/Fazer-Super-Salmiakki/dp/B002GXA8FQ

10-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #10937
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a very good friend (also now happens to be my son's father-in-law). He was prone to using accelerants on bonfires. (Almost enough said!)
The last one went off with a bang: those who were there said the whole stack of material lifted 3 feet off the ground.
One of the neighbours was apparently a little concerned, because before long the red trucks with flashing lights turned up - and they didn't come to toast marshmallows either.
That was lots of years ago, and he hasn't done anything so silly since.

I have another friend who lived on a bush block. He had done a lot of cleaning up the block and all that was left to do was burn the refuse.
Unfortunately, the mower fuel and kerosene were on adjacent spots on the shelf in the shed...
He lacked eyebrows and half a beard for a while, and I remember that at my 50th birthday, he had great globules of some skin(/life?) saving cream dripping from his nose.
10-23-2014, 11:08 PM   #10938
Pentaxian

Three words ... Photo. Shop. Failure. (From the K-S1 thread)

Poor hociR ...

10-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #10939
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Have a lutefisk and bacon, on toast, sammich with a generous slathering of Vegemite. You'll feel better.
And raw seal liver. Heats you up, instantly. Cures everything from Alzheimer's to sterility. Occasionally one of my staff will chow down on it at lunch and the sweat will be pouring off them most of the afternoon.

10-25-2014, 01:48 AM   #10940
Pentaxian

Just FYI ... read an email entitled "A message from Ricoh Imaging's Director of Marketing" this morning, and norm posted it already over in the K-S1 thread ... poor hociR ...

10-25-2014, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #10941
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Just FYI ... read an email entitled "A message from Ricoh Imaging's Director of Marketing" this morning, and norm posted it already over in the K-S1 thread ... poor hociR ...
Hand the man his sword and lets get done with it...

Steve
10-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #10942
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh has, really, a near impossible task ahead.

Outsourcing as a cost containment strategy worked for Hoya. The problem with reversing outsourcing is, at first, someone has to spend all day watching every move the contractors make.

10-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #10943
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ummmm...sounds pretty quiet in there. Time to put another ad on craigslist...

Steve
10-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #10944
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve
Yup. I got a letter from the nice man, too. Had me wondering if the poor schmuck who released it, inadvertently, got released advertently.
10-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #10945
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Have a lutefisk and bacon, on toast, sammich with a generous slathering of Vegemite. You'll feel better.
Well I know I would!

Eventually.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 10-25-2014 at 01:09 PM.
10-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #10946
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

That reminds me of when my dad burned a bag of trash in the fireplace that contained a box of rifle ammunition. The whole family was in the room and we all hit the floor when the fireworks started. Fortunately, it was the casings that were flying and not the bullets themselves!
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yikes - that sounds like a bit of a wake-up call. In our case, our neat 12 ft high pile instantly became a flying burning heap - some crates landed a good 250 yards away and we spent the next hour putting out many small brush fires where the burning crates landed. Luckily there was very little wind or it could have been a big mess. And, luckily no-one was hit.
This is such great and invigorating discussion! A jewel for the best camera forum in the Universe!

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Fortunately, only a few cool-girl women had stayed nearer the fire. They had their eyebrows singed, but all that hurt was their pride. They of course went in the house and whined, and the ensuing hubbub was enough to send most of the rest of us home, ostensibly ruining the party.
Many women endure much worse to remove, and then paint back on, their eyebrows.

What did those girls have to whine about anyway? They got it done with much less effort and in (well at least in my own humble opinion) a way cooler way!

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I have a very good friend (also now happens to be my son's father-in-law). He was prone to using accelerants on bonfires. (Almost enough said!)
Boy Scout Juice.

The only way to get a fire going out here in the Great Pacific Northwet.

Ya gotta get enough heat going to evaporate all that moisture that is in the wood out here. And sometimes that isn't enough, and a second go is required.
10-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #10947
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

The moral of this thread? Never underestimate the power of negative thinking.
Or never underestimate the negative thinking of power . . . . . .
10-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #10948
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Boy Scout Juice.
I already told you - Boy Scouts never use accelerants to start a fire.

The inside of the bark from a down-wood log is often dry enough to scrape tinder from. Or you can Be Prepared and carry a tin of scorched cotton patches from an old dress shirt or dryer lint in a zip-close bag if you know it is going to be that damp.

It might take 15 minutes to get a small cooking fire going rather than 15 seconds. Been doing it for 50 or so years.

A real man uses only one match*.

* I carried a piece of chert and a steel in my patch tin for many years for just grins (hard to do right) but it left with the Suburban when I traded it in. I replaced it with a magnesium block and a striker (piece of cake). I can get a fire going with a firebow and bowdrill and cottonwood tinder (jute also works) but that's for exhibition. There are so many easier ways to do it.

For a quick 'n dirty fireplace or stove fire balled up single sheets of the Wall Street Journal under the grate work very well - better than regular cheater paper. Something about the WSJ newsprint makes it burn longer and hotter than the soft stuff most newspapers use. Keeping a supply of fatwood slivers next to the hearth is also helpful. One sheet of newsprint and two or three slivers will do the trick if the split wood is dry.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-25-2014 at 01:59 PM.
10-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #10949
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Or never underestimate the negative thinking of power . . . . . .

Hey, wait a minute. ............ ???.??
10-25-2014, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #10950
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
The Harvard Crimson:

"When I bit into my first marble of salmiak, my tongue burned from the sharp saltiness and the back of my nose felt as if it had been struck by a mixture of fermented stingray meat and Windex. Did I like it? Did I not like it? My palate was so flabbergasted that I couldn’t tell."

The telling ingredient is ammonium chloride which is also used as soldering flux, to work on oil wells with clay swelling problems, as electrolyte in zinc–carbon batteries, in the glue that bonds plywood and for tanning hides.

Try combining it with the lye in lutefisk for a real taste treat or one helluva drain cleaner that makes Drano look like a sissy.

Oh those spunky Scandinavians and their epicurean delights!

Last edited by jac; 10-25-2014 at 04:53 PM.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »