Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #11416
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Who came up with the idea of calling that game "football" anyway
It was a compromise gesture between the colleges in the U.S. that originated the game. The original game was more similar to soccer football and was called football. At some point both the rules and ball evolved into a game that more closely resembled rugby*. Rather than compound hard feelings when the rules were officially changed, the name football was retained. Go figure.

Steve

* It is my understanding that Rugby is officially "Rugby Football", even though the ball is passed more often than kicked. I am so confused...

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-15-2014 at 11:06 AM.
11-15-2014, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #11417
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Rugby is officially "Rugby Football"
And now for world news:
Canada just got thumped in a test against Samoa, 23 to 13. We're obvously twice as good as we were. Last test was 43 -12. We're hoping to do better against Vatican City; their slurplices slow them down and half the squad are octogenarians.
Meanwhile, where's Mark? Are the rumours true? Was he taken by the enemy? They're everywhere, you know.
11-15-2014, 12:32 PM - 2 Likes   #11418
Pentaxian

It was a compromise gesture between the colleges in the U.S. that originated the game. The original game was more similar to soccer football and was called football. At some point both the rules and ball evolved into a game that more closely resembled rugby*. Rather than compound hard feelings when the rules were officially changed, the name football was retained. Go figure.

Steve

* It is my understanding that Rugby is officially "Rugby Football", even though the ball is passed more often than kicked. I am so confused...
Like me at my first watching live of a rugby match ...

Then again, you should have seen my (future) wife when I took her to an OU home football game. She went for all the fake hand-offs and missed a TD or two ...
11-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #11419
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Well, hockey is a hooligan's game, played by hooligans, and celebrated by hooligan fans
That would be ice hockey.
Field hockey (true original hockey) lacks the hooligan element - it is quick enough, but lacks the physical clashes brought about by big men crashing at high speed which seems to causes raised tempers.

Last edited by rod_grant; 11-15-2014 at 01:52 PM.
11-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #11420
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
That would be ice hockey.
Field hockey (true origin hockey) lacks the hooligan element - it is quick enough, but lacks the physical clashes brought about by big men crashing at high speed which seems to causes raised tempers.
When I was in high school, the girls had a great field hockey team. They always tried to challenge our senior football team to a match. Not one of us wanted to play them. Small women with large clubs from whom the thin veneer of civilisation seemed to melt as soon as they crossed the sidelines.
11-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #11421
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Field hockey (true original hockey) lacks the hooligan element - it is quick enough, but lacks the physical clashes brought about by big men crashing at high speed
In N. America, field hockey is primarily a women's sport.

Steve
11-15-2014, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #11422
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
the thin veneer of civilisation seemed to melt as soon as they crossed the sidelines.
Is that a metaphor for sport in general? (Except cricket!)

11-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #11423
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

(Except cricket!)
Cricket, the Empire's gift to somnambulism. The grass on the pitch often has to be cut during test matches and watching it grown is often more entertaining. (I wouldn't say this if Mark was still here but ......)
11-15-2014, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #11424
Pentaxian

When I was in high school, the girls had a great field hockey team. They always tried to challenge our senior football team to a match. Not one of us wanted to play them. Small women with large clubs from whom the thin veneer of civilisation seemed to melt as soon as they crossed the sidelines.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick ..."

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
11-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #11425
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
"Speak softly and carry a big stick ..."
Nope. Our gals screamed like banshees wailing over the imminent death of warriors. And we knew which warriors would be left on the pitch if we played. So we were careful; we were afraid, very afraid.
11-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #11426
Pentaxian

Nope. Our gals screamed like banshees wailing over the imminent death of warriors. and we knew which warriors would be left on the pitch if we played. So we were careful; we were afraid.
OK ... I stand corrected. Tough gals ... J
11-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #11427
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cricket, the Empire's gift to somnambulism.
Only to those with a lesser understanding...
There are finer points which need to be understood to appreciate the game.
11-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #11428
Veteran Member

Reminds me of a short set of statements I once heard:

Cricket: A gentleman's game played by gentlemen

Rugby: A hooligan's game played by gentlemen

Soccer (Football): A hooligan's game played by hooligans

I don't know where Hockey or American/Canadian Football fall into the spectrum.

Steve
The only difference between gentlemen and hooligans is that gentlemen decide on how and when they will kill each other, whereas hooligans just make it up as they go!
11-15-2014, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #11429
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A gentleman's game. Unfortunately for cricket, during the last census StatSCan could only indetify 239 gentlemen in Canada and 22 of them were on life-support. Cricket has a tough go getting the attention of the unwashed masses.
11-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #11430
Veteran Member

You mean like someone hoping to avoid a Mitchell Johnson delivery hitting them on the point of their chin at 150kph!