Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #106
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
No, not saying that at all. I am just curious that for someone who goes on rides and does reports, is not using real video cameras. That`s all.

10-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did say "real".
10-10-2013, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've spent all day watching this thread, and it's the most fun I've had today!!! Now if anybody is so mad about Ricoh, they are going to dump there equipment? I will gladly take it off your hands, just mail it to me!!!
10-10-2013, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
I've spent all day watching this thread, and it's the most fun I've had today!!! Now if anybody is so mad about Ricoh, they are going to dump there equipment? I will gladly take it off your hands, just mail it to me!!!
You are not alone. Get ready to stand in line and take a number.

10-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Ricoh is the best thing that's happened to Pentax for ages - I only bought my K-5 because I'd heard Ricoh had bought Pentax (I was/am annoyed my K-5 has Hoya references on the box!). The K-3 is a huge statement of support for the brand and continuation of the K mount. This week I've seen Nikon shooters asking about adapters to get their lenses to fit a K-3 and Canon shooters delighted their SMC-Takumars can be fitted to it too, first time I've ever seen comments like that.

Ricoh could have asset stripped Pentax, flogging off the bits that didn't fit their core business, instead they developed (or at least funded) real innovative features that have really put Pentax back to the forefront of innovative new ideas.
10-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Rico-Pentax on the back
Actually not a bad compromise. Just like Asahi Pentax in the past.
10-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #112
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
So you are a true video guy, why mess with the stuff that you do?. Just curious.
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
So you think it's not possible to take a still image with a mirrorless camera ? Really ?
Your avatar photo says a lot. It is possible to take a still image with a mirrorless camera, but I have found that having a viewfinder for framing helps a lot.

Steve

10-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
But, to support Pentax -- a brand I really value -- I will be looking for price drops on the K-IIs cameras, as they move towards being discontinued..
This was exactly the reason I thought of when I read the thread title. Though if I resist another discontinued camera cycle I'm sure I'll be looking at the K-3 when the K-3ii rolls around in a year or two.

I wish I were surprised at the real reasoning behind this thread, but I've seen enough complaints about the Ricoh name on the back the past few days that I've just come to accept the existence of people with priorities I'll never be able to comprehend.
10-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd be a little dishonest if I said I would be less than disappointed if Pentax wasn't on the front of my camera after almost 40 years of using one, but I have to remind myself that I went to Canon for digital during the start of digital DSLRs.

Regardless, it does sound like a good leap in IQ, and I'm seeing some innovative features which has kept Pentax not only alive, but a bit of best kept a secret....
10-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #115
Forum Member

why i won't buy a k3

Actually to tell you the truth, I like the name Ricoh on the back, and I WOULD NOT cover it up! Here's my reason: being as Ricoh is the Parent Company now, Ricoh is going to do for Pentax as Sony done for Minolta. making Pentax a much Stronger name in the Camera world. And I hope this also brings some much needed Marketing corner to the Ricoh-Pentax name badge as the Pentax name really needs a little more Marketing, and I think Ricoh can do just that!
I have a little Psychic inside of me, and that psychic says Pentax will be stronger name because of Ricoh!

Yes, I AM going to Buy me a K-3 when I get the Money, no ifs and/or buts about it

Last edited by kricha6431; 10-10-2013 at 08:35 PM.
10-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you are looking at this wrong, i would be more concerned if it did not say Ricoh. Using Pentax alone means the brand stands alone. Putting Ricoh on the camera means the full prestige of the company is on the line. That tells me Ricoh is committed to this line and they are proud enough of the K-3 to make sure their name is on it too.
10-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #117
Pentaxian

In time, I'm sure most will come to accept whatever is put on the camera.

I take name tolerance on the front of the camera to an even new level. I don't care if it says Nikon, Canon or Pentax on my camera. I'll shoot them all.
10-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #118
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think you are looking at this wrong, i would be more concerned if it did not say Ricoh. Using Pentax alone means the brand stands alone. Putting Ricoh on the camera means the full prestige of the company is on the line. That tells me Ricoh is committed to this line and they are proud enough of the K-3 to make sure their name is on it too.
I do hope you were refering to the OP, rather then me, cause my take on this would be the same as yours
10-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
This was exactly the reason I thought of when I read the thread title. Though if I resist another discontinued camera cycle I'm sure I'll be looking at the K-3 when the K-3ii rolls around in a year or two.

I wish I were surprised at the real reasoning behind this thread, but I've seen enough complaints about the Ricoh name on the back the past few days that I've just come to accept the existence of people with priorities I'll never be able to comprehend.
I think K-3 will be in a 2 yrs product cycle, just like K-5, at least, before they roll out K-3II if they have nothing more than slight improvement from it.
The only potential downside I see for K-3 is in the ISO area. No expandable to ISO 80, but then ISO51200 is not considered 'expandable'...
I thought PENTAX will be the first to have >ISO51200 in K-3 but maybe next cycle, K-3II if the sensor in K-3 is not as impressive as when K-5 came out.
10-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yes, indeed, with the "Pentax" name in the front and "Ricoh" name on the back means that the Pentax brand will be embraced and backed up by a stronger company named Ricoh. What is wrong with that? (referring to the OP)
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »