Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #12091
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
So you have a plague of fleas ........ hate to see how messy your house is ! lol

You need to get an exterminator in to spray the yard and in the house. You may need to tear out your carpets also. Tidy up your yard.
Fleas in the house just mean the owner has animals that spend at least part of their time outside. I know several compulsive house cleaners who have to "bomb" their houses every fall despite having immaculately clean carpets and furniture. What happens is that with a change in weather, the fleas become more likely to hitch a ride seeking an animal's warm winter den. Seasonal infestation is very common as a result, even among non-pet owners.

Steve

12-10-2014, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #12092
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So you have a plague of fleas ........ hate to see how messy your house is ! lol

You need to get an exterminator in to spray the yard and in the house. You may need to tear out your carpets also. Tidy up your yard.

I once worked at somebodies house, and they had fleas and roaches everywhere. The place was filthy.

I'm currently renting in the sub-tropics, and I've used 3 tubes of acrylic gap sealant, 2 tubes of clear silicone, half a tube of gray silicone, one door weather strip, and 1 door jam foam strip. I installed two man hole covers and caulked them both. I have strategically locked out the roaches, and spray everywhere with surface spray that last 3 months.

You need to do a Sigourney Weaver (Ripply from aliens) on your house and yard.
Geeze, that was a very insulting thing to say. FYI, roaches and fleas can exist in the cleanest houses on the planet. You can't always just lock them out. My house isn't military glove perfect but it's definitely not dirty and I don't leave food or paper around anything they like. I keep a fairly clean house and it's not even cluttered compared to most people I know actually. I love how you just assume that I live in filth and don't have an exterminator. :P

For the record I do clean all the time and I have a regular bug guy and a lawn spray service. I also have a relative who runs an extermination service and he keeps me up to date on things that way. Living with bugs here it is just a constant battle thing. I live in a mobile home not a regular house. I can caulk and spray all I like it's not going to keep everything out. I live in an area that is fairly heavily wooded, and sandy. There are wild animals running all over the place and the fact that my animals have not gotten fleas now for several years is a testament to my dedication to cleaning and to keeping them out.

Pretty much everyone around here is battling fleas like mad this year. Like I said they're hatching out in droves because we've had a very soggy year so far and it's not yet gotten cold enough apparently to kill a lot of them off. You obviously did not read what I said. Most of the flea products on the market now are not working as well as they have been. Advantage, Frontline, Capstar, etc the fleas are getting very resistant. It's not as simple as you think. I have very little by way of carpeting actually. I'm semi allergic to dust mites and carpet messes with my allergies so most of my floor is just linoleum. I am going to treat what carpet I have but it's not for lack of doing so that I have finally gotten them. My cats have been regularly bathed and have had either a gel or a pill.

The closest they get to the great outdoors is a fully screened in porch and right now the windows aren't even open because we have the storm windows on and they're totally closed. It's too chilly now to just leave those windows open and we usually don't much anyway. If it's that warm they're inside in the A/C with me, not hanging out near open windows. Usually when they are out there they have closed windows between them and the outside. They should not have fleas at all but yet they apparently do. They had a bath and then a pill last month, and the month before that, etc. The pills clearly have stopped being effective for some reason and apparently Advantage II isn't much better. But my cats they don't roam, not at all. We have coyotes here, raptor birds that eat rabbits and the like, even the odd gator. No way I let them out to prowl around...

It's annoying as heck for me. I do all the things you're supposed to do to keep the little pests out and yet, fleas. I'm not real fond of where I live now. We spray like mad, there's hardly anything to call a yard, and yet, bugs. The sudden influx of fleas is a PITA but that's nothing compared to the rest of it. So far this year I've had to wage major battles against gnats, mosquitoes, ants, wasps, and flies. My neighbors had to remove a huge wasp's nest last week apparently. We had a few smaller ones ourselves. I let the bug guy take care of that but they are everywhere this year and still active even in Dec. Wasps are supposed to hibernate and then die off in the cold, but they're not apparently, not this year. My bug guy is just amazed at how many active nests he's seeing now.

Regular roaches and that the exterminator pretty much takes care of but there are a lot of bugs here that you just have to constantly battle to keep ahead of. With the gels and pills fleas haven't really been an issue for me till now. But apparently I can't count on any of that now which makes it a lot harder because down here you don't just get a few fleas, you can get gazillions...

Last edited by magkelly; 12-10-2014 at 09:38 AM.
12-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #12093
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Same here in Dundee - 30 mph, Met Office weather warnings, felt like our flat would fly away at night Better now though, no precipitation or lightning. Need to walk down the Firth later to get stuff from Tesco, pray for me.

Edit (10 min. after posting): Alright, change the precipitation part - it's pissing.

Edit 2: Now it's not.

Edit 3: And it is again.

I'll keep you people updated ... Scotland is something of a massive, realistic Pentax weather sealing testing area.
Winds at 80 klicks, temp. -22C, visibility less than 200 meters. Hibernating today. I closed my Goverment offices which immediately triggers closing every government office in the community and hence the whole town. Oh, the Power!

---------- Post added 12-10-14 at 11:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by buzzinhornet Quote
Now the Donuts, they are more like DD donuts, not the KK style. Its been quite a while since 7ve had a DD or KK donut since both franchises are now realatively scarce her in Canada, Tims seems to have been to much for them.
But Timmy's just got raided by Burger King, making the third largest fast cholesteral service in the world. If they do unto coffee what they've done with hamburgers, that coffee you left on low on the burner all night will taste like ambrosia.
12-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #12094
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote
it is currently 3 degrees outside my house
Honestly, I don't know what that feels like. I think the coldest weather I have ever been in was the low 20's. I prefer 90F+.

Edit (10 min. after posting): Alright, change the precipitation part - it's pissing.

I'll keep you people updated ... Scotland is something of a massive, realistic Pentax weather sealing testing area.
Sounds like Texas, only not as cold. You won't see a cloud in the sky, go inside to get your stuff, come back out and it's a hurricane.

Apparently, you missed the part where it says this forum is a friendly community.

12-10-2014, 10:22 AM - 2 Likes   #12095
Veteran Member

I once worked at somebodies house, and they had fleas and roaches everywhere. The place was filthy.

I'm currently renting in the sub-tropics, and I've used 3 tubes of acrylic gap sealant, 2 tubes of clear silicone, half a tube of gray silicone, one door weather strip, and 1 door jam foam strip. I installed two man hole covers and caulked them both. I have strategically locked out the roaches, and spray everywhere with surface spray that last 3 months.

You need to do a Sigourney Weaver (Ripply from aliens) on your house and yard.
An insulting message rarely encountered on PF.
12-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #12096
Veteran Member

Parallax will be along soon to moderate that. Insulting messages should not be part of this threads legendary status for future historians to read.
12-10-2014, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #12097
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Parallax will be along soon to moderate that.
You must be psychic.

Insulting messages should not be part of this threads legendary status for future historians to read.
I'm a bit of a pshycho psychic myself.
I predict he won't be posting anything in this thread again.

Last edited by Parallax; 12-10-2014 at 11:44 AM.
12-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #12098
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
In all of her 15 years Miss Zoe never had a single flea. That was because I gave her "PROGRAM® Flavortabs (lufenuron) once a month. It is like birth control pills for fleas that you give to dogs and cats. You give it to your pet, it gets into the bloodstream, and when the fleas hop on and go for the blood meal they get the stuff in them, rendering them sterile.

Since fleas have a fairy rapid life cycle, it isn't long before they die off, as sterile creatures cannot reproduce.

Read all about it here: Program

And the degree of housekeeping one engages in has nothing to do with how many pests invite themselves into one's abode. Mrs. Racer and I built a brand new house 6 years ago. Before we even moved out of the single wide trailer we were living in and into our sparkling new home the spiders and earwigs had already moved in and set up housekeeping.

And in spite of our weekly (and sometimes even more often) top to bottom cleaning, washing and vacuuming, the insects from outside seem to feel empowered to invite themselves in and lounge about.

A photo of Miss Zoe, who passed away just prior to our new home's completion:

12-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #12099

I'm wondering whether there is a Ricoh camera community somewhere
Yes there is, see here: Home - RIAC Community

Sorry for delay in catching up with this thread, punishment in progress.
12-10-2014, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #12100
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote
However just to change the subject, in the Clyde Valley, Scotland, 11:50 AM, GMT it is currently 3 degrees outside my house with a mixture of heavy rain, sleet and hail, 30mph winds and the occasional lightning flash with accompaning thunder and the street lights are still on.
Same here in Dundee - 30 mph, Met Office weather warnings, felt like our flat would fly away at night Better now though, no precipitation or lightning. Need to walk down the Firth later to get stuff from Tesco, pray for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Winds at 80 klicks, temp. -22C, visibility less than 200 meters. Hibernating today. I closed my Goverment offices which immediately triggers closing every government office in the community and hence the whole town. Oh, the Power!
Honestly, I don't know what that feels like. I think the coldest weather I have ever been in was the low 20's. I prefer 90F+.

Sounds like Texas, only not as cold. You won't see a cloud in the sky, go inside to get your stuff, come back out and it's a hurricane.
You guys have the worng thread for such discussion.

Go here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/132-pentaxian-lounge/244510-your-place.html

Carry on.
12-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #12101
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just had chicken after braving the cold outside to drive to the store to get it. I am now sure that I-10 might be calling me for the trip out west. Go to California by way of Mobile AL....
12-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #12102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Where is everybody?
There has been no post for almost 4 hours!!!
The cricket is delayed because of rain (Australia v India in Adelaide) and there are no enthralling posts to read.
Doesn't anybody care?

Bill Gates decided to inflict some updates on my computer and they failed. After 10 hours attempting to install update 10 of 25 (see how many mistakes and errors he found in one batch) I had to turn off the machine and do a restore. Why doesn't Bill use some of his foundation money to get his product to work properly and not need updates (when was the last time I updated my stove or fridge because they did not make it right first try). Think of the advantages to everyone in the world. Also get the product to start almost instantly (like Apple) and think of the reduction in energy consumption around the world because people will not needlessly leave their computers running to avoid having to wait to restart.

Therefore I could not view this thread last night after the cricket moved onwards a little subjected tot delays due to rain. The rain was nice though.

---------- Post added 12-11-14 at 05:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Besides the cricket has resumed and I have losr interest in this thread for a while!!
(In case you are interested, Australia is batting: score 6/427, Smith is 104 and Clarke 101 - Clarkes 28th century in test cricket!)

What baseball batsman ever got 100 in an innings. Clearly cricketers are better!
12-10-2014, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #12103
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You guys have the worng thread for such discussion.

Go here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/132-pentaxian-lounge/244510-your-place.html

Carry on.
Are you accusing us of of being off-topic? (And I already opted to post there too!) The winds are now over 85 kliks and I can't even go out of the house without climbing a drift. Mrs. jac, who is four foot nine something and weighs less than one of my tripods, was blown away in one gust and we probably won't see her again until the Spring melt in mid-July. And you are obsessed with keeping things on track. Hmmmmpf!!!
(Which is why I can't buy a black hociR.)
12-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #12104
Pentaxian

Oh ... fleas are nuthin'

Try having four long-haired females in the house and the two smallest bring home the giving-gift of head lice ... only three times so far in 2014.

Nope, we never take a shower, nor brush our teeth, nor clean the laundry, nor have a housekeeper, nor ...

And this is why I won't buy a K3 TM ... no money left after dips.

PS - the cat and dog get flea treatments when they show up (a lot sometimes)
12-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #12105
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Nope, we never take a shower, nor brush our teeth, nor clean the laundry, nor have a housekeeper, nor ...
This is how we know you're French! But hey, that has to be better than eating snails!