Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #12436
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I will never get used to the metric system. They do teach it in schools here, or they did when I was a kid anyway, but I never cared for it. I prefer the old system. I don't know why, I mean really metrics is easier once you get the hang of it, but I just do.

12-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #12437
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
How many English speaking people know that the German word for poison is gift.
As it is in Norwegian - where gift also means married...

And yes, both meanings have derived from the act of giving
12-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #12438
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
But if you ask the French, here's what they have to say about the Metric system:
I've been advocating for metric time for years!
12-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #12439
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I will never get used to the metric system. They do teach it in schools here, or they did when I was a kid anyway, but I never cared for it. I prefer the old system. I don't know why, I mean really metrics is easier once you get the hang of it, but I just do.
The manufacturer of the World's Best Airplanes does everything in the fractional system.

Everything.

Right down to the thousandth of an inch.

12-15-2014, 10:15 AM   #12440
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The manufacturer of the World's Best Airplanes does everything in the fractional system.
I'm pretty sure Airbus uses the metric system
12-15-2014, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #12441
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I'm pretty sure Airbus uses the metric system
Maybe that's why they are number 2.
12-15-2014, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #12442
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
But if you ask the French, here's what they have to say about the Metric system:
Hey, that's the clock which I work by ... I think.

12-15-2014, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #12443
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Maybe that's why they are number 2.
Ah, what the heck - they're probably pretty comparable. Similar numbers of orders, both leading in one category or another, both accuse each other of crimes and unfair state subsidies day in, day out.

I just happen to find planes such as the A380 and Beluga more impressive than what Boeing has on offer.
12-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #12444
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Need to capitalise that noun though - all German nouns are capitalised

Egads!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for pointing that out. Freulein Brendeke, my German teacher in 10th and 11th grade, is going to be very upset with me. In my defense however I would like to point out that I took German in 1966 through 1968. I shall take action to correct this posthaste.
12-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #12445
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Egads!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for pointing that out. Freulein Brendeke, my German teacher in 10th and 11th grade, is going to be very upset with me. In my defense however I would like to point out that I took German in 1966 through 1968. I shall take action to correct this posthaste.
I took Italian in secondary school from 2007 to 2010 and have already forgotten 80% - it's a shame ...
12-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #12446
Veteran Member

I took Latin and discovered I had been misled when I could not find a Latin to speak with.
12-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #12447
Veteran Member

I know a tiny bit of Latin and Greek, but not much. My Italian is very rudimentary so far but I am studying that. Also studying concurrently Castilian and Latin American Spanish and still working further on my French and Gaelic with Rosetta and DuoLingo. The latter is free btw, if you want to go there, link below. I am determined to at least understand and speak passable Spanish, Italian, Gaelic and French before I go to Europe and the UK. I do not want to be one of those annoying people who goes over there and who can't even read a menu, street signs, or the subway/train maps.

French I have a bit of a leg up because I took 4 years in high school and college. Gaelic I know some from hanging out with Irish folk who did speak it and who were glad to teach me some, but the rest I'm learning mostly from scratch. I doubt I am going to Spain actually except maybe to Barcelona depending upon what cruise line I end up taking to go transatlantic but it's almost a requirement for work here and out west to know some so I am learning that more for the sake of expediency.

I try to spend at least 90 mins a day though doing lessons for one language or another. Another hour learning other stuff. I'm a perpetual student type. I'm always studying something. Usually it's photography related stuff but I'm also teaching myself a couple of new crafts and doing languages and that. I'd like to learn German, Japanese, and maybe Russian too someday, for fun, but for right now I'm sticking with these as they're easier and I might actually need to use them someday for traveling...

https://www.duolingo.com/

Come January I'm doing a formal metalworking class at a local arts center. After that I'm doing the lampworking class so I can make my own glass beads and baubles. I'm really looking forward to it. I've been wanting to do these for a while now. I do wrap and bead work okay, but I want to do more, make my own sterling silver stuff. They had a special on taking these two classes. It was half off the usual price so I jumped on it.

Last edited by magkelly; 12-15-2014 at 11:58 AM.
12-15-2014, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #12448
Pentaxian

I took Italian in secondary school from 2007 to 2010 and have already forgotten 80% - it's a shame ...
Do what I did ... eh, then again ... maybe not.

That is I had French from 6th to 12th grade and CLEP'ed out of a full year of University level French, but then abandoned it. Stupid.

Later at Grad school level, I decided to take some time off and go in country to "recover" my skills. What a mistake at first due to lack of preparation ... I was lost (verbal level here) for several months and it didn't help either that I hung out with the (cute) German exchange students who wanted to practice their (already good) English on me ... oh well.

Live and learn.

And that's why I won't buy a K-3 TM !!!
12-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #12449
Veteran Member

I tried to teach myself Italian and forgot the half that I did learn.
12-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #12450
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
I took Latin and discovered I had been misled when I could not find a Latin to speak with.
Have a trip to the Vatican maybe?

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
... on my French and Gaelic with Rosetta and DuoLingo. [...] I am determined to at least understand and speak passable Spanish, Italian, Gaelic and French before I go to Europe and the UK. I do not want to be one of those annoying people who goes over there and who can't even read a menu, street signs, or the subway/train maps.
You don't really need any Gaelic in the UK though, I doubt it'd even be remotely helpful apart from surprising some local people who speak it (which is a minority, even here in Scotland).

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
... and it didn't help either that I hung out with the (cute) German exchange students who wanted to practice their (already good) English on me ... oh well.
I try to avoid hanging out too much with German people wherever I live - pretty successful so far, among my six closest friends only two are German, the rest is Scottish, Malaysian, Swiss and Australian. I've gotta admit that most German exchange students are rather cute though - the girls that is