Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #12451

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Ah, what the heck - they're probably pretty comparable. Similar numbers of orders, both leading in one category or another, both accuse each other of crimes and unfair state subsidies day in, day out.
That's pretty much it. The competitive business world in aviation is a messy place at times.

I just happen to find planes such as the A380 and Beluga more impressive than what Boeing has on offer.
But then there is the fleet of converted 747's that haul parts all over the world.

I believe that Airbus has their version too, the A300-600ST, and they actually have converted 5 A300-600 widebody planes compared with the 4 converted 747-400 Boeing planes.

But the Russians have them all beat.

It has always interested me how manufacturers who are in direct competition with each other will engage in industrial espionage and at times are following nearly identical paths in whatever industry they are in.

12-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #12452
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You don't really need any Gaelic in the UK though, I doubt it'd even be remotely helpful apart from surprising some local people who speak it (which is a minority, even here in Scotland).
Yeah, I know, but some of the road signs are in it as well as English and I'd actually like to be able to read it when I go there. Point of pride with me. I'm learning it for love actually because SOMEONE in my oh so Irish-Scots oriented family ought to be able to speak it. I'm actually learning the Irish mostly, because that's all I can find proper tutorials for. I know Scots Gaelic can be a bit different, but just try finding a language program for that. It's near impossible...
12-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #12453
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That's pretty much it. The competitive business world in aviation is a messy place at times.

But then there is the fleet of converted 747's that haul parts all over the world.

I believe that Airbus has their version too, the A300-600ST, and they actually have converted 5 A300-600 widebody planes compared with the 4 converted 747-400 Boeing planes.

But the Russians have them all beat.

It has always interested me how manufacturers who are in direct competition with each other will engage in industrial espionage and at times are following nearly identical paths in whatever industry they are in.

I recall getting an email from a friend in Taiwan when the converted 747 was wheeled out of the Evergreen hangar at Taoyuan for the formal unveiling ceremony. I saw a video saying the design was done in Russia and the metalwork in Taiwan (to put it crudely). The front of the Russian one looks like a copy of 747, which was the subject of a patent, now expired.

Maybe the similarities relate to a few factors:
1. Knowledge of materials and methods.
2. The laws of physics.
3. Copying gives confidence it will probably work.
12-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #12454

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
2. The laws of physics.
I'm thinking the third one weighs most heavily in how it all shakes out. If company A has tried it with success, and have had little or no failures, then company B should feel confident enough that a copy will have a similar success rate.

12-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #12455

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
2. The laws of physics.

I'm thinking the third one weighs most heavily in how it all shakes out. If company A has tried it with success, and have had little or no failures, then company B should feel confident enough that a copy will have a similar success rate.
And all of this makes me wonder why Pentax (eviL hociR) has lagged behind the competition and still not released a full frame DSLR.

Its enough to keep me from buying a K3.
12-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #12456
Pentaxian

By the way, when will the winner of the 31 Limited be announced?
12-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #12457
Pentaxian

By the way, when will the winner of the 31 Limited be announced?
I won. The announcement will be tonight.

j/k
12-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #12458
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I won. The announcement will be tonight.
Nice to know - did your dark Lord help you by practicing legilimency on Adam?

But seriously, what time? USA 'tonight' is different from UK 'tonight'.

12-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #12459
Pentaxian

I honestly don't know what time it will be. If I happen to find it, i'll PM you and post here.
12-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #12460
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I honestly don't know what time it will be. If I happen to find it, i'll PM you and post here.
It's not that important, a post here is enough
12-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #12461
Pentaxian

There's currently 2,844 replies to the entry thread. So, the chances of winning are better than the lottery.
12-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #12462
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
At least the Aztec did not have "bubble wrap/blister" door guards ... WTH(eck) ?!

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
I guess that Citroen Cactus is Citroen's take on the SUV ! Hows about all the gopro video cameras on the roof; the partial camouflage on a WHITE car; the bizarre door plastic (which doesn't even flow with the vehicle design). Having lived in Europe I can see this being quite popular with the Euro-hipsters crowd: "Hey, don't hit the CD changer in the trunk you Dummkopf ", "This car is perfect for going to techno music festivals .... oontza-oontza-oontza-beep-ee-deep-ee-brrrrrrrp. Brrrrrrrrrp. Brrrrrrrrrrp ..... oontza-oontza-oontza etc etc."
Correction: I was right about it being a dance fextival car ! The plastic on the sides looks like a pill packet with one pill left. Definitely a car for the pill poppers that go to Euro disco music festivals ! lmao

Last edited by zoolander; 12-15-2014 at 12:56 PM.
12-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #12463
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Point of pride with me. I'm learning it for love actually because SOMEONE in my oh so Irish-Scots oriented family ought to be able to speak it.
My brother fancies himself to be a Highlander and after spending some time in the inner Hebrides claims a little skill with the language. My dad's family is pretty heavily Scotch-Irish with my grandmother having been a Murray (Ulster) and my great-great Grandfather being O'Donnell descended from some early Lord of the Isles.

I am pretty sure that my ancestors would have little use for the hociR and would not purchase a K-3.

Steve
12-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #12464
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Correction: I was right about it being a dance fextival car ! The plastic on the sides looks like a pill packet with one pill left. Definitely a car for the pill poppers that go to Euro disco music festivals ! lmao
Well, not sure that I'd go that far in my analysis , but glad that you noticed all those silly GoPro's ...

And that's why I won't buy a K-3 TM ... because I need the funds to outfit the Espace with a roof rack full of GoPro's ...
12-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #12465

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Well, not sure that I'd go that far in my analysis , but glad that you noticed all those silly GoPro's ...

And that's why I won't buy a K-3 TM ... because I need the funds to outfit the Espace with a roof rack full of GoPro's ...
The GoPro's are the poor man's version of 360 degree visual safety view.