Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2014, 12:49 AM   #12991
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Speaking of Foreman grill, you can cook a decent NY Strip on one. I get the small ones (2 in a pack) that are a little less than an inch thick for around $10. Turn the Foreman grill on and let it reach it's hottest temp. Then put them on for 4mins and done. Put the steaks on a plate and dump the juice collection tray right on top of them.
I used to think they were okay for quick cooking chicken breasts and that until I realized that all of the coating on the ones I had bought had apparently ended up on my food. I have yet to buy one, and I had 3 before I gave up, that the non stick coating didn't wear off in less than six months, and yes, I did use the right tools, no metal. It's a great idea but Foreman's company is definitely guilty of making some crappy grills. I looked it up on Amazon, checked out the different models, apparently it's a very common complaint. Last time I used the one I had a big chunk of it literally flaked off into my food. That was it for me. I gave it up. I wanted to like that little grill so bad but in the end it just wasn't all that great.

---------- Post added 12-25-14 at 02:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Mag you got the book. Quite thick in the paper version.
I'll get to it soon I think. I'm in the middle of Alan Cumming's new book right now, bio-wise. I'm reading it for the second time actually. I admittedly skimmed it a lot first time, really hard topic for me, but then I decided I had to really read it again to be fair to him. I like him a lot and I respect him and he deserved a real read, not me just skimming him because I was squirming just trying to read it. It's not the easiest book to read though. Parts of it are just horrific, particularly when you've been there yourself way back when...

12-25-2014, 12:54 AM   #12992
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Well, don't keep us in suspense. What did Santa Claus bring you?
I got myself a K-3, BG-5 and AF540FGZ for Xmas

Unfortunately it's still in the US but I will get my precious in a couple weeks.
12-25-2014, 01:02 AM   #12993
Veteran Member

MK laughs at the LOTR reference. "My precious..." That's funny, grin. I just put them back on the reader for tomorrow. The Hobbit and the LOTR. Traditionally I read them again Christmas Day. I usually watch the extended movies for New Year's. I haven't seen the Hobbit films as yet. I'm waiting till the finale hits DVD....
12-25-2014, 01:11 AM   #12994
Veteran Member

Speaking of Foreman grill, you can cook a decent NY Strip on one. I get the small ones (2 in a pack) that are a little less than an inch thick for around $10. Turn the Foreman grill on and let it reach it's hottest temp. Then put them on for 4mins and done. Put the steaks on a plate and dump the juice collection tray right on top of them.
We have a Tefal Jamie Oliver grill pan that does better steaks than my grill outside. A little olive oil, a very hot pan, sea salt, black ground pepper and about 6 minutes a side. Turn the steaks 90 degrees halfway through each side to get nice crosshatch grill marks and more carmelization on the outside. Anthing over medium rare is wasting a good piece of beef, IMHO.

12-25-2014, 01:15 AM   #12995
Veteran Member

I'll have to check it out. I would love to have one, if it won't disintegrate on me. Thanks! Whoah, this one? $149? Pricey pan that. Eh, a bit above my budget for cookware I think...

http://www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/Jamie-Oliver-Hard-Anodised-Induction-New...7&category=279
12-25-2014, 01:41 AM   #12996
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I got myself a K-3, BG-5 and AF540FGZ for Xmas

Unfortunately it's still in the US but I will get my precious in a couple weeks.
Shhhhhh! Wrong thread!

(Hope your wait won't be too long, tough! )
12-25-2014, 01:44 AM   #12997
Site Supporter

...but holy smoke, you kids have almost posted us all the to 13,000 while I was busy sleeping off the Christmas dinner!
12-25-2014, 01:49 AM - 2 Likes   #12998
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
As long as it doesn't bite me back, or eat my salad, it's fine.
I was in a restaurant once where the step below "blue rare" was "pull its horns and wipe its ass".

Last edited by savoche; 12-25-2014 at 03:26 AM.
12-25-2014, 01:50 AM   #12999
Site Supporter

...and I'll leave the next post for somebody else - it's Christmas, after all
12-25-2014, 02:02 AM   #13000
Pentaxian

We have a Tefal Jamie Oliver grill pan that does better steaks than my grill outside. A little olive oil, a very hot pan, sea salt, black ground pepper and about 6 minutes a side. Turn the steaks 90 degrees halfway through each side to get nice crosshatch grill marks and more carmelization on the outside. Anthing over medium rare is wasting a good piece of beef, IMHO.
Nice. I am going to have to look that pan up.

Anthing over medium rare is wasting a good piece of beef, IMHO.
Yep.

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'll have to check it out. I would love to have one, if it won't disintegrate on me. Thanks! Whoah, this one? $149? Pricey pan that. Eh, a bit above my budget for cookware I think...

Jamie Oliver Hard Anodised Induction Professional Series Shark's Tooth Grill - Buy Now & Save!
But, steaks better than a BBQ grill? Could be worth it.

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I was in a restaurant once where the step below)"blue rare" was "pull its horns and wipe its ass".
That's the one I would order.

---------- Post added 12-25-14 at 03:09 AM ----------

I used to think they were okay for quick cooking chicken breasts and that until I realized that all of the coating on the ones I had bought had apparently ended up on my food. I have yet to buy one, and I had 3 before I gave up, that the non stick coating didn't wear off in less than six months, and yes, I did use the right tools, no metal. It's a great idea but Foreman's company is definitely guilty of making some crappy grills. I looked it up on Amazon, checked out the different models, apparently it's a very common complaint. Last time I used the one I had a big chunk of it literally flaked off into my food. That was it for me. I gave it up. I wanted to like that little grill so bad but in the end it just wasn't all that great.
I've owned 2 in the last 9 years. (I replaced the first one because I wore it out and it wasn't getting as hot as it should.) I use it regularly. About 3-5 times a week, every week. Everything from heating up a sandwich to cooking hamburgers, boneless pork ribs, and small steak. Have never had a problem with the coating coming off. I prefer to have the model with the removable grill plates for easier cleaning.
12-25-2014, 02:17 AM - 2 Likes   #13001
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Merry Christmas people. And I'll just say that nothing, I repeat - Nothing - does steaks as good as a Weber kettle BBQ.
12-25-2014, 02:22 AM   #13002
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
And I'll just say that nothing, I repeat - Nothing - does steaks as good as a Weber kettle BBQ.
I'll agree to that. Here's mine in action.

12-25-2014, 03:40 AM   #13003
Veteran Member

http://www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/Jamie-Oliver-Hard-Anodised-Induction-New...7&category=279
That link didn't work for me. Check this one: http://www.jamieoliver.com/products/home/cookware/cast-aluminium/

It's the square-ish one, although ours is some kind of special edition with a gold handle. It weighs a ton, there is a thick steel insert in the bottom for induction stoves. 149 sounds about right, but I think we got ours on sale for a bit less. We've had it about 5 years, no sign of the coating coming loose either, but at that price I expect it to last at least 10 years.

---------- Post added 12-25-14 at 12:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Merry Christmas people. And I'll just say that nothing, I repeat - Nothing - does steaks as good as a Weber kettle BBQ.
I have a Weber kettle, but I have to say I still prefer the Tefal grill pan for steaks. Almost everything else is better on the Weber though.
12-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #13004
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

How I do it.

Get the fire hot. Slap steak down right over the coals. Time it for exactly 5mins. Flip. Go another 4 exactly and remove it. Wait 3mins and eat it. I don't go for pink inside. I go for nearly raw, and not too hot to eat.
Perfect! Just salt for seasoning, right?
12-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #13005
Veteran Member

Wow. I leave for one evening, and you guys are talking about steak?