12-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #13141
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
....a few weeks away.

12-28-2014, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #13142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
I bet they gave you a funny look upon seeing those sticks!

I once tried to hand carry those foldable light reflectors. They were asking what was it for. I could see the look of disbelief when I tried explaining it. They disallowed it and asked me to check it in.

---------- Post added 12-28-14 at 10:19 PM ----------

Is it just my computer or the number of likes (1,867) in this thread doesn't fit the box anymore? Our mods may decide to drop the "7" so as not to destroy the aesthetics of the forum
Because we are all at the mercy of the lowest common denominator when we go through security. And anything too complicated for your average TSA agent must be dangerous
12-28-2014, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #13143
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Because we are all at the mercy of the lowest common denominator when we go through security. And anything too complicated for your average TSA agent must be dangerous
The whole idea of airport security is just pointless. The number of times they've broken up drug rings over at the airport is kind of mind boggling. Listen dudes, if those people can get 200 pounds of coke on a plane, they can get anything they want on a plane and off at the other end if they so desire. The only reason there aren't more hijackings etc. is that most people are not bent on doing it. I mean really, it's a real low percentage move.. the question here is, do we all feel safer if someone pretending to be involved in security hassles us before we board our plane. Apparently many of us do. It's all done so we can fall asleep during the flight without major nail biting. Stopping terrorists? I agree, if they stop one terrorist, then it's probably all worth it. But when are they going to catch the guy? When are they going to stop the one hijacking that makes it all worthwhile? Come on dudes, you gotta give us something....

What if the real purpose of 9/11 was to force Americans to spend so much on internal security, they can have less resources to police the rest of the world? In that case, you could argue Bin Laden won...

The anti-terrorists are now terrorizing people at airports all over the world... ironic...

I mean really dudes... what am I supposed to do if I break a nail or get a hang nail on a plane?... this is serious stuff. I need those nail clippers.

Last edited by normhead; 12-28-2014 at 08:47 AM.
12-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #13144

2 Columbus 1 1/2lb dry salame sticks, wrapped in foil in my carry on. TSA swabbed them for explosives. In their defense, they did look a lot like sticks of ANFO.
Did you feel like Sophia Loren in that movie where she is returning to New York from Italy with the mortadella?

12-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #13145
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's a reason why they have gone so anal about the electronics. A few months ago they picked up some kind of terrorist communique that suggested that a certain group of terrorists were heavily discussing putting explosives in electronics cases so they could get them on board and use them to blow up planes. That one caused a lot of concern because it was just after that plane vanished over the Indian Ocean. I don't mind if they swab my tablet, laptop or whatever. I do mind being asked for my password which did happen to me at LAX once. It wasn't enough for me to boot it up. They wanted to see what was on my laptop, and this was a domestic flight mind you. I said "Nope, not without out a search warrant, sorry. That's private."

The woman doing the check was clearly pissed at my denying her but she was no FBI agent with a warrant and I wasn't going to let her peep, sorry. She then proceeded to dump my carry on and check EVERYTHING just out of pique even though I'd already passed through the scanner just fine. I nearly missed my flight. At the time I was a CA resident just going back upstate after a business trip to LA. There was no reason whatsoever for all that. I'd already been through that airport twice for business earlier that year with the same exact bag and gear and no one hassled me then. I don't know why she wanted to see what was on my laptop but it was really none of her business I thought and very forward of her to be asking.

I also got tons of flack once for not wanting to let go of my traveler's checks and money. I had them in my hand during the scanner walk through and I showed them to the person with the wand. They tried to get me to put them in a dish but I said "No." and walked through. We're talking paper. Nothing that would irk the scanner and an airport that has btw had several people arrested for theft in terms of TSA people and baggage handlers and they want me to just hand over my $$$. Nope. It's bad enough that they get to seperate me from my electronics for a few minutes. All those electronics in bins it's a tempting target for those who want to help themselves, and it's not just paranoia. There have been a lot of news reports about gangs of thieves taking things at the airports. Unfortunately these days the only alternative to all that means a hand bag check, a whole lot of TSA attitude, and getting groped.

There's a reason I don't fly much these days. I won't now if I don't absolutely have to. You can't even trust the security or the people handling your luggage anymore and if you don't want to do ANYTHING they ask of you they'll totally make you miserable for saying "No." I really loathe flying now and that's a shame because I used to love it and look forward to it but between all this and the fact that nothing seems to work in terms of my ears getting painful now it's just not worth it. If I ever do end up going to Europe and the UK? I'm sailing, not flying. I'm taking the ocean liner route across the ocean, just like my ancestors did. They have security for cruise ships too but it's not nearly as bad as at the airports I hear...

Last edited by magkelly; 12-28-2014 at 04:45 PM.
12-28-2014, 09:50 AM - 2 Likes   #13146
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The whole idea of airport security is just pointless. The number of times they've broken up drug rings over at the airport is kind of mind boggling.
I believe the total number of drug rings broken up/terrorist attacks thwarted by (U.S.) TSA. Is zero. The number of TSA agents caught stealing, malingering, abusuing their authority is substantially higher than zero.
ADDENDUM: I have to say though, in my recent flying experiences, it was NOT the TSA that made the flying experience unpleasant. It was the airlines themselves.
12-28-2014, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #13147

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
My father before retiring worked for flight transportation technical service in France. After september 11 they did an audit to check if the security check were effective. They asked a consultant to see what he could pass through security.

The guy managed to pass an automatic riffle, a large saber and many other things like that...

The security you have in airport is just an administrative process. This is modern "quality" as it best: what is important is that the process is followed, not that is it effective or not. The process prevent many to carry a bottle of water but don't manage to detect automatic riffle. Still it should prevent an unprepared mad guy or terrorist to pass.... And allow to sell more drink in the airport and planes.

My understanding of this is that to prepare some terrorist attack you tend to need time to prepare, you tend to speak of it to your terrorist collegues, you tend to be very aggressive on some views... And all of this show. The autorities detect you far before you'll be ready and then decide what they should do of you. But the guy that suddenly decide to do something alone... This is harder to detect and prevent. The security in airport should do the job... And motivate the guy to do bad things in other public transportation (train, metro...) instead.
That's pretty much it.

I gave up commercial flight long before the events in the US on 9/11 simply because flying had become too much of a pain in the butt. Even before the increased security getting through the checkpoints was troublesome. Couple that with how the airlines no longer treat their customers (passengers) like they really appreciate them, and it creates an attitude where I do not care to give them my money for the "convenience" of traveling that way.

I will, and have flown in private planes and even have an hour of right seat time in a WWII medium bomber.

The last time I went flying was in this plane last July. A 1929 Travelair. Now this is how flying was meant to be!

12-28-2014, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #13148
Site Supporter

I believe the total number of drug rings broken up/terrorist attacks thwarted by (U.S.) TSA. Is zero. The number of TSA agents caught stealing, malingering, abusuing their authority is substantially higher than zero.
ADDENDUM: I have to say though, in my recent flying experiences, it was NOT the TSA that made the flying experience unpleasant. It was the airlines themselves.
Most of the stolen items, including properly checked firearms, are in the supposedly uber secure areas. That is the grandest irony.

12-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #13149
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

We get a 'reality' show up here, footage of the Canadian Border Security Agency at entry points (and the Aussies too for some reason). A part of it last night was dedicated to bags from the secure International flight storage area that somehow get into the secure Domestic area without passing screening. Kilos off pot, Cocaine, hand-guns, etc. Once they are on the Domestic side, it's just a matter of picking the right carousel, hefting your bag and walking away. Hmmmmm.....
12-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #13150
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Yup. There are even times when they ask you to boot up your computer, just to prove that it really is a computer.

Of course, you'll have to wait, and then wait to shut it down again.

That's because Microsoft cannot even design a computer to turn off quickly, like the lights.

Actually a hint for that is to start it before you get there so it is in sleep mode.

Same thing here with ALL electronics, like phone - so rule 1 - do not let your batteries completely discharge.

---------- Post added 12-29-14 at 07:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
My father before retiring worked for flight transportation technical service in France. After september 11 they did an audit to check if the security check were effective. They asked a consultant to see what he could pass through security.

ead.

I went through Toulouse in 2010 and found they had a Perspex thing in front of the X-ray machine with a hole for the permitted dimensions of carry on. If it is oversize it cannot go through security, so it must be checked in. Potentially inconvenient for marginal oversize but it does stop a problem I often find of people who hog ridiculous amounts of the overhead compartments instead of packing stuff they can check-in. I notice that kind of antisocial behaviour more in some countries than others. Seems those countries are ones where one's rights or self-interest rather than one's responsibilities to society seem to be emphasised in practical living.

---------- Post added 12-29-14 at 07:24 AM ----------

2 Columbus 1 1/2lb dry salame sticks, wrapped in foil in my carry on. TSA swabbed them for explosives. In their defense, they did look a lot like sticks of ANFO.

You remind me of carrying a five pack of durian cake (looks like sausages, with five pieces parallel and 9" long) that I bought in the duty free of the KL airport, which then was scanned at the gate security and got them agitated. It would probably be banned now because its consistency is soft enough it might be considered a 'paste'.

---------- Post added 12-29-14 at 07:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Nope. It's bad enough that they get to seperate me from my electronics for a few minutes. All those electronics in bins it's a tempting target for those who want to help themselves, and it's not just paranoia. There have been a lot of news reports about gangs of thieves taking things at the airports. Unfortunately these days the only alternative to all that means a hand bag check, a whole lot of TSA attitude, and getting groped.

Singapore airport, where travellers are treated as somehow a bit superior, not like people at the country bus stop, has a scheme where each bin has a number card with it, and the traveller puts stuff in the tray and takes the number. At the other end one of the security people takes the number back to return that tray to the traveller. Stops the problem of random others taking stuff.
12-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #13151
Veteran Member

Great if you can trust them.... :P
12-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #13152
Site Supporter

In Singapore one feels one can trust all officials to be scrupulously honest. It is part of the culture of the country. Also, they always conduct themselves towards any normal person doing normal things in a very polite manner. The law there means they have far too much to lose if they were to do something improper - but it is more the culture that makes the experience good for people. Also, it would probably only be drunk foreigners who cause them any problems at the airport. Also, the job ads would suggest that the wages for these kinds of officials make these jobs quite desirable compared to other jobs - that attracts enough applicants they can choose the nicer ones and adds to the 'too much to lose' effect.

I did see one fight in the Singapore airport this year (only time ever). There was a couple, not from Singapore, on the conveyer belt and the woman was bawling out the man very loudly. By the time he got to the end of the series of belts she had apparently abandoned the trip and gone away. Sounded like violence was going to happen.

General advice for getting through security without too much hassle, too often:
1. Behave confidently, but not brashly.
2. Make eye contact with the officials.
3. Behave like you know the drill, be ready and pack so it is easy to take out the things that need to be taken out etc.
4. Be courteous: all the "good morning sir" etc.
5. Dress in tidy, clean, but ordinary clothing (business, as in going to the office, attire) is better than some subculture make a statement attire.
6. Be nicely groomed with tidy hair.
7. Have up right posture.
8. Walk at a good pace and in a definite manner.
9. Tell the real story of why you are travelling if asked - makes it easy to confidently answer follow up questions.

A hostess once told me that in the whole gate and loading process the staff are watching the passengers to see if there is anyone who is likely to be high maintenance on the way. She said after years of experience they get pretty good at that. I guess security is the same.
12-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #13153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Seems those countries are ones where one's rights or self-interest rather than one's responsibilities to society seem to be emphasised in practical living.
These attitudes show up in more subtle ways, eg. taking a trolley load of groceries through the express lane at the supermarket, or becoming aggressive because of a minor traffic error that might have caused slight inconvenience, etc.
Good manners, courteousness, tolerance are all things of the past.
12-28-2014, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #13154
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm low maintenance. I don't fly anymore.

If I ever have to go overseas again I'll take a boat.
12-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #13155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
If I ever have to go overseas again I'll take a boat.
Same here. I have no interest to fly.