Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #13156
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Luckily, I enjoy flying. We're four hours in the air to the nearest highway and the only ships we get are freighters or tankers.

12-29-2014, 12:04 AM   #13157
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I probably saw the Richard Reid (aka the Shoe Bomber) in the American Airlines international terminal at Charles de Gaulle airport.

We were taking Justine, then 8 months old, to see my mom in Oklahoma. Our flight was Paris-Dallas and his was Paris-Miami which left about the same time from the same gate(s) area. After we arrived in Dallas and picked up the rental car to drive to southeastern OK, all the family asked us about our troubled flight thinking that we were on the same trans-Atlantic leg. At first we had no idea what they were talking about. Other than that, it was a nice trip, except for an ice storm.

We had planned to fly in earlier but had purchased tickets for September 12th as our departure date ... needless to say, our flight was canceled, thus the later visit for Christmas.
12-29-2014, 12:33 AM   #13158
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I missed the first WTC bombing, the PATH one, by a very, very small margin. I was darn lucky. Had I been five minutes later, taken another train I might well have been killed on my way to work. But this was my narrowest escape ever. I had a meeting in that building that day. I was living in FL at the time, in Tampa, and I was dealing with some legal stuff. I was supposed to meet up with someone in that building not 20 mins before this mentally ill kid terrorist flew a plane into it. Later I found out I'd have been sitting pretty much where he aimed it if I had gone, but I just didn't feel like doing the appointment that day. I rescheduled, something which probably saved my life. I still can't tell you why I did. I had no legit reason for doing so, I just woke up that morning and I just didn't feel like it, blew it off, even though it was an important matter.

I'm not real religious, nor do I usually call them "angels" per se but whatever created us, whatever light beings are around looking after us they have more than once been working overtime on my behalf because I have escaped death more times than I can just chalk up to mere coincidence. There have been several bad accidents and illnesses besides, times when I should have died. I don't know why I am still here most days, I really don't. I've lost some good friends, people who were far better people than I am. I will never understand it, why they, such deserving people, so good compared to me, died so young and yet I am still here. It makes no sense to me.

Terror alert as boy pilot flies plane into skyscraper | Daily Mail Online
12-29-2014, 01:56 AM   #13159
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TazmanDownunder Quote
Lets face it people, Pentax are a thing of the past, any new Pentax Brand Camera etc is now actually Ricoh built.
With or without the Pentax name, every new product is made, owned and sold by Ricoh.
Ricoh itself has been around for years and has always been a sister brand to Pentax. Ricoh has build quality and performance unlike the Pentax brand,
so if anyone should buy the Pentax brand, i'm just glad it a classy act like Ricoh.
I have a K-3 and the Ricoh on the back doesn't stop it from performing like a first class well built camera.
If you don't buy the K-3, then you just miss out, its not going to change the fact that Ricoh own Pentax now ..........
Anyway, good luck with your choices.
Umm... There are 13157 posts in here you obviously forgot to read. So, start reading.

There will be a test at the end.

12-29-2014, 01:59 AM   #13160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Umm... There are 13157 posts in here you obviously forgot to read. So, start reading.

Bwahaha... I literally almost snorted coffee through my nose on that one. Some posts should come with a warning...!
12-29-2014, 03:01 AM   #13161
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Bwahaha... I literally almost snorted coffee through my nose on that one. Some posts should come with a warning...!
Ah, sorry 'bout that...

And it looks like Tazman pulled that post. Which is a shame, since the content was true and sensible enough. It is, after all, the OP that is off its rockers
12-29-2014, 03:09 AM   #13162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Umm, where was Tazman's post? I thought I must have missed some of this riveting thread, but I can't see what I have missed.

12-29-2014, 04:18 AM   #13163
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I know. It was there for a few minutes. Maybe the mods found it too on-topic?
12-29-2014, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #13164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Taz went and started reading from page 1?
12-29-2014, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #13165
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Taz went and started reading from page 1?
Probably. It will be character building.
12-29-2014, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #13166
Veteran Member

Probably. It will be character building.

Or, he will have lost all hope for mankind after page 7 or so...
12-29-2014, 05:52 AM   #13167
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
This thread has a warning right in the title.
12-29-2014, 05:54 AM   #13168
Veteran Member

Airport security does often seem a bit over the top - I was closely screened and had to open up all my bags in front of security personell at Lungi International Airport (Freetown) while I was pretty much left to wander around the Sierra Leone Ministry of Defence at will.

At the same time, even without any further aids or weapons, all it takes to take over a plane is a couple of determined, trained dudes with quick fists. Surprise the pilots in the cockpit, beat them up, lock yourself in, done. And even if you can't lock yourself in and passengers are about to overwhelm you, just fiddle with the controls enough to make the whole thing crash, there you've killed hundreds of people.

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I missed the first WTC bombing, the PATH one, by a very, very small margin.
Events like this always seem so far away and unlikely to happen to oneself, until they suddenly get surprisingly close. A friend of my mother was killed in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks - she was sitting in a street café with her husband when some of the gunmen ran by and gunned them down.
12-29-2014, 05:55 AM   #13169
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I know. It was there for a few minutes. Maybe the mods found it too on-topic?
No, he deleted it himself. We don't delete posts unless they are in violation of forum rules.
There was nothing even remotely inappropriate about his.
12-29-2014, 05:56 AM   #13170
Veteran Member

Shun the non-believer! Shun! Shun! Shuuuuunnnn!