Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2014, 04:25 PM   #13201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Doesn't anyone remember Michael Clark in Sydney a few years ago? - 3 wickets in the last over of the day, against India!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So... Australia was lucky some years ago. That doesn't mean they can play cricket. Sorry.

12-30-2014, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #13202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I smell crook-pot roast beef, I am out of here...
12-30-2014, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #13203
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Been out in the kayak taking pictures today... We had a couple of sunny days in a row, so the Xmas lights came down yesterday and the boat got wet today. Slightly above freezing, so no ice-breaker pics. BUT, it was with my K-30 , which does better than me , so no K-3 for me!

And thus we maintain the on-topic off-topic-ness required to stave off Tokyo's Doooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmm

Jim
12-31-2014, 02:52 AM   #13204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
No. India was saved by some very slow Aussie batting and a very poor agreement to call stumps early.
Faster batting from half way through day 4 would have meant more time to bowl India out.
And I would not have called off play with 4 overs to go, given the brittle (pathetic?) nature of India's last 4 or 5 batsmen. I would not have called it off with 4 balls to go!!
Doesn't anyone remember Michael Clark in Sydney a few years ago? - 3 wickets in the last over of the day, against India!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the poor agreement judgement that you make. It is even possible to get two batsmen out in one ball, a catch followed by a run-out! Not sure if it has ever been done but the rules allow it. They could even have bowled many no balls in the last over hoping to get them on run out.

The later Australian batting did seem terribly slow, like they were trying to be still in at stumps.

The saddest not saved by the rain I remember was in Adelaide two or so years ago. I was in my office listening to the commentary and looking out the window at the threatening clouds. hoping the rain would come in time to save them - against England. Well, the Australian tail fell away until the last one got out. And almost that very minute a torrential downpour heavier than anything for years arrived that would most definitely have saved them. It the last one had held out to the next over they could have got a draw.

Does this help out friends from the other side of the Pacific to understand some of the excitement of cricket?

---------- Post added 12-31-14 at 08:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Been out in the kayak taking pictures today...

You can't talk about that here - this is the PentaxForums you know!

12-31-2014, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #13205
Pentaxian

"'Pilchard begins his long run in from short stump. He bowls and ...oh, he's out! Yes, he's got him. Longwilley is caught leg-before in middle slops by Grattan. Well, now what do you make of that, Neville?'

'That's definitely one for the books, Bruce. I don't think I've seen offside medium slow fast pace bowling to match it since Baden-Powell took Rangachangabanga for a maiden ovary at Bangalore in 1948.'

I had stumbled into the surreal and rewarding world of cricket on the radio.

After years of patient study (and with cricket there can be no other kind) I have decided that there is nothing wrong with the game that the introduction of golf carts wouldn't fix in a hurry. It is not true that the English invented cricket as a way of making all other human endeavours look interesting and lively; that was merely an unintended side-effect. I don't wish to denigrate a sport that is enjoyed by millions, some of them awake and facing the right way, but it is an odd game. It is the only sport that incorporates meal breaks. It is the only sport that shares its name with an insect. It is the only sport in which spectators burn as many calories as players (more if they are moderately restless). It is the only competitive activity of any type, other than perhaps baking, in which you can dress in white from head to toe and be as clean at the end of the day as you were at the beginning.

Imagine a form of baseball in which the pitcher, after each delivery. collects the ball from the catcher and walks slowly with it out to centre field; and that there, after a minute's pause to collect himself, he turns and runs full tilt towards the pitcher's mound before hurling the ball at the ankles of a man who stands before him wearing a riding hat, heavy gloves of the sort used to handle radioactive isotopes, and a mattress strapped to each leg. Imagine moreover that if this batsman fails to hit the ball in a way that heartens him sufficiently to waddle sixty feet with mattresses strapped to his legs he is under no formal compulsion to run; he may stand there all day, and, as a rule, does. If by some miracle he is coaxed into making a misstroke that leads him to being put out, all the fielders throw up their arms in triumph and have a big hug. Then tea is called and everyone retires happily to a distant pavilion to fortify for the next siege. Now imagine all this going on for so long that by the time the match concludes autumn has crept in and all your library books are overdue. There you have cricket.

[...]

After a very long silence while they
[the commentators] absorbed this thought, and possibly stepped out to transact some small errands, they resumed with a leisurely discussion of the England fielding. Neasden, it appeared,was turning in a solid performance at square bowel, while Packet had been a stalwart in the dribbles, though even these exemplary performances paled when set beside the outstanding play of young Hugh Twain-Buttocks at middle nipple. The commentators were in calm agreement that they had not seen anyone caught behind with such panache since Tandoori took Rogan Josh for a stiffy at Vindaloo in '61. At last Stovepipe, having found his way across the railway line at Flinders Street - the footbridge was evidently closed for painting - returned to the stadium and bowled to Hasty, who deftly turned the ball away for a corner. This was repeated four times more over the next two hours and then one of the commentators pronounced: 'So as we break for second luncheon, and with 11,200 balls remaining, Australia are 962 for two not half and England are four for a duck and hoping for rain.'

[...]

In the late afternoon, while the players broke for high tea or fifth snack or something - in any case, when the activity on the field went from very slight to non-existent - I stopped at a roadhouse for petrol and coffee.

Bill Bryson, Down Under
12-31-2014, 03:24 AM   #13206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I saw Geoff Boycott bat at Adelaide for 45 minutes without scoring in the afternoon session of the Australia Day test when it was >100F. The crowd were chanting "have a go ya mug" and imbibing copious amounts of the amber fluid. One trod on a broken amber fluid shipping vessel and his friend put his foot in a plastic bag of water to produce a pretty disgusting sight.

In 1982 I listened to Chris Tavare go for 90 minutes at the WACA without scoring. Quite a feat that was. The English had lots of those slow batsmen. apparently Tavare's natural style was to be a free flowing hitter but for the good of his team he sacrificed his natural style to hold up one end to keep them in long enough to remain competitive.

You must have been saving that quote for quite a while.
12-31-2014, 04:04 AM   #13207
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
You must have been saving that quote for quite a while.
Not really. I read the book when living in Australia and when I caught up on the cricket discussion here it just came to mind.
12-31-2014, 05:32 AM   #13208
Veteran Member

I'm back, briefly! Been basking in the sun, and had a spontaneous shoot at my friend's little home studio. Also, had a truly excellent IPA yesterday.

12-31-2014, 05:42 AM   #13209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
I'm back, briefly! Been basking in the sun, and had a spontaneous shoot at my friend's little home studio. Also, had a truly excellent IPA yesterday.
IPA - It's Perfect, Anytime
12-31-2014, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #13210
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote

Does this help out friends from the other side of the Pacific to understand some of the excitement of cricket?
No.
12-31-2014, 06:11 AM   #13211
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
IPA - It's Perfect, Anytime
Actually not usually such a fan of IPA, I'm more of an amber ale or stout person, but this one was awesome. Can't remember what it was called.
12-31-2014, 06:22 AM   #13212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually not usually such a fan of IPA, I'm more of an amber ale or stout person, but this one was awesome. Can't remember what it was called.
Oh, that good? Mmmm...
12-31-2014, 06:41 AM   #13213
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

India Pale Ale. Nothing to do with cricket or the hociR so perhaps off-topic except for the allusion to alcohol.
12-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #13214
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yesterday I had something called Premium Spitfire Kentish Ale. It comes with a label touting it as "The Bottle of Britain."
12-31-2014, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #13215
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

The sun shines in Norway?