Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #13441
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,808
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Most people don't realize that aluminum oxidizes; and it does so quite rapidly. It is a very thin layer, and discolors the metal very little so is nearly invisible. Except under extreme conditions it remains superficial and does no harm but it really interferes with paint being able to stick.
The aluminum used for the exterior of airplane skins is ALCLAD, which is an aluminum/copper/manganese/magnesium alloy coated on the exterior side with a very thin layer of pure aluminum. This is supposed to reduce the amount of corrosion.

Still, it requires care and maintenance to maintain the structural integrity of the exterior surface of the plane.

One airline, American Airlines, has a mostly bare and polished finish on their planes. I suppose that keeping it polished and shiny is no more labor intensive than washing a fully painted airplane.



01-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #13442
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,808
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I think you had three missing nothings in that number.
Oops!

Looks like I missed some nothings, to be sure. Can you ever forgive me? Either way I have returned to the scene of the crime and corrected my error.

Yes, there are now three nothings where there once were none.

All better now!
01-11-2015, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #13443
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,104
Much ado about nothing(s).
01-11-2015, 04:20 PM   #13444
Moderator
Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,180
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
That's illegal where I live ... things seem to be a bit upside-down there down-under ...
Illegal Vanilla Coke!?!?! What's the world coming to!

---------- Post added 01-12-15 at 12:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Certainly illegal in my house (where I make the laws!)
I don't drink a lot of soft drink but if it is cola it hast to be Pepsi.
I know it is not the 'real thing' but it is better!

---------- Post added 01-11-2015 at 10:14 PM ----------

...and I would like to hear how jac thinks we pour any sort of drink from a bottle into a glass, done here under.
Pepsi is a good drink, but not that big here.

---------- Post added 01-12-15 at 12:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Does this make you feel better. We're all squishy but Australia looks appropriately important.
Now, this is a good world map! One easily forgets how big Australia is, when looking at it the other way up. I do like the idea that New Zealand is almost at the top on this map.

01-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #13445
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wangaratta, Victoria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,933
Thanks jac, having seen your map, I went to the fridge and poured myself a drink (fruit juice & mineral water) and they poured so much more easily!
All is right with the world and Australia is rightly (nearly) on top, (including in the cricket!)
01-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #13446
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,873
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The aluminum used for the exterior of airplane skins is ALCLAD, which is an aluminum/copper/manganese/magnesium alloy coated on the exterior side with a very thin layer of pure aluminum. This is supposed to reduce the amount of corrosion.

Still, it requires care and maintenance to maintain the structural integrity of the exterior surface of the plane.

One airline, American Airlines, has a mostly bare and polished finish on their planes. I suppose that keeping it polished and shiny is no more labor intensive than washing a fully painted airplane.


AA did that in the early 2000s to reduce the mass of the plane by 150kg of dry paint, which in turn, at the prices in those days saves $50k per plane in fuel per year. I remember seeing a news story about it on one of my few visits to Malaysia.

---------- Post added 01-12-15 at 02:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Oops!

Looks like I missed some nothings, to be sure. Can you ever forgive me? Either way I have returned to the scene of the crime and corrected my error.

Yes, there are now three nothings where there once were none.

All better now!


When Coke introduced "zero" I wondered why they did not call it Coke Nothing.
01-12-2015, 12:01 AM   #13447
Veteran Member
ZoeB's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tromsų, Norway
Posts: 875
Coke? Ugh. The only carbonated drink to pass my lips is beer. (And occasionally ginger ale if I'm on a plane or feeling really ill.)
01-12-2015, 12:37 AM - 1 Like   #13448
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,710
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Oops!

Looks like I missed some nothings, to be sure. Can you ever forgive me? Either way I have returned to the scene of the crime and corrected my error.

Yes, there are now three nothings where there once were none.

All better now!
Are you serious?! I mean, for real?!!

I just ordered two because of the great price! And now this??

Damn, how am I going to explain this to the wife...

01-12-2015, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #13449
Veteran Member
cbope's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 664
Sorry to bring this thread back on topic, but the livE hociR has struck (or is that hociR livE?). My K-3 package landed on my desk this morning
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 1020  Photo 
01-12-2015, 08:55 AM   #13450
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,710
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Sorry to bring this thread back on topic, but the livE hociR has struck (or is that hociR livE?). My K-3 package landed on my desk this morning


Tokyo is doooooomed!!



(But I have to say it's a damn good camera - welcome to the club )


Edit: Ok, this post is hereby declared NSFW - Not Safe for Whiners





Last edited by savoche; 01-12-2015 at 10:48 AM.
01-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #13451
Loyal Site Supporter
Pioneer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Elko, Nevada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,167
I am blinded! I can no longer see!

Ohh...never mind. It helps to open my eyes and keep an empty mind...or maybe that was an open mind.

I think we need to have a warning before those kind of pictures are displayed. Like the Not Safe For Work...though those are often nice at work too.

Carry on.
01-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #13452
Veteran Member
cbope's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 664
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I am blinded! I can no longer see!

Ohh...never mind. It helps to open my eyes and keep an empty mind...or maybe that was an open mind.

I think we need to have a warning before those kind of pictures are displayed. Like the Not Safe For Work...though those are often nice at work too.

Carry on.
Calm down, the effects of the hociR livE are only temporary. You'll be back to normal soon...
01-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #13453
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,710
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Calm down, the effects of the hociR livE are only temporary. You'll be back to normal soon...
Don't you believe it!

You'll never look at your K-5 in quite the same way again
01-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #13454
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,376
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Don't you believe it!

You'll never look at your K-5 in quite the same way again
Yah ... "thanks so much" for that hociR image ... my ayoH K-5 looks ... it looks ... well, looks old. merde
01-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #13455
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,710
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Yah ... "thanks so much" for that hociR image ... my ayoH K-5 looks ... it looks ... well, looks old. merde
Ah, but you, m'sieur, are a hopeless gear addict

Totally unlike me, of course
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
arctic cold, aussie shepherds, bacon, basque paella, beer, caffeine, camera, canada, catch 22, cheddar, cheese, dachsunds, dew, drink, dslr, gin, hair, igunaq, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, maine, marital relations, mother, mountain, norm, patent, pentax k-3, pentax lens, possums, research, ricoh, rupert, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, study, toilet, tokyo, veggies, vermont, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I will buy a K3 chicagojohn Pentax K-3 80 09-18-2016 08:42 AM
Suggestion Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread crewl1 Site Suggestions and Help 61 10-04-2014 05:08 PM
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs Racer X 69 Pentax K-5 40 02-03-2014 08:12 PM
Why I don't buy Pentax lenses keyser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 12-20-2012 01:58 AM
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy Nesster General Talk 27 04-22-2012 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top