Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #13456
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Yah ... "thanks so much" for that hociR image ... my ayoH K-5 looks ... it looks ... well, looks old. merde
It's true! I picked up my K-5 and I just felt "dirty"...

01-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #13457
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
It's true! I picked up my K-5 and I just felt "dirty"...
Oh. Now that helped A LOT !!! Merci

---------- Post added 01-12-15 at 20:31 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Ah, but you, m'sieur, are a hopeless gear addict

Totally unlike me, of course
I throw myself upon the mercy of the Court ... quasi-guilty as charged.
01-12-2015, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #13458
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
MK picks up K5II, considers.... "Nope, I feel fine..." :P
01-12-2015, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #13459

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Now, this is a good world map! One easily forgets how big Australia is, when looking at it the other way up. I do like the idea that New Zealand is almost at the top on this map.
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Thanks jac, having seen your map, I went to the fridge and poured myself a drink (fruit juice & mineral water) and they poured so much more easily!
All is right with the world and Australia is rightly (nearly) on top, (including in the cricket!)
It is interesting how when man discovered that the world was actually round and not flat, and then he made maps of it, North was placed at the top, with South on the bottom. For so many, as they became aware of the world around them, the top of the world was always up, had always been up, and would always be up.

As if it was somehow turned over and South was made to be at the top everything would be upside down.

Of course we all know Mount Everest is considered to be the highest place at 8,848 m (29,029 ft), but when we actually consider a reference other than mean sea level there are actually higher peaks. Mauna Kea (4,207 m (13,802 ft) above sea level) is the world's tallest mountain and volcano, rising about 10,203 m (33,474 ft) from the Pacific Ocean floor. Ojos del Salado has the greatest rise on Earth—13,420 m (44,029 ft) from the summit to the bottom of the Atacama Trench about 560 km (350 mi) away, though most of this rise is not part of the mountain.

The highest mountains above sea level are also not those with peaks farthest from the centre of the Earth, because the figure of the Earth is not spherical. Sea level closer to the equator is several miles farther from the center of the Earth. The summit of Chimborazo, Ecuador's tallest mountain, is usually considered to be the farthest point from the Earth's center, although the southern summit of Peru's tallest mountain, Huascarán, is another contender. Both have elevations above sea level more than 2 km less than that of Everest.

So I guess it really depends upon your frame of reference when one determines which way is "up", and where the "top" of the world really is.

By the way, Aoraki / Mount Cook, the highest point in New Zealand at 3,754 metres (12,316 ft).

Mount McClintock is the highest mountain 3,492 mters (11,456 ft) in the Britannia Range in Australian Antarctic Territory, Mawson Peak at 2,745 metres (9,006 ft), it is the second highest peak in any state or territory of Australia. With a height of 2,228 metres (7,310 ft) above sea level, Mount Kosciuszko is the highest mountain on the Australian continent.

Not far from where I live, Mount Rainier is the highest peak in Washington state at 14,411 ft (4,392 m). Mount Rainier is considered one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world, and it is on the Decade Volcano list. The mountain ranked third of the 128 ultra-prominent mountain peaks of the United States. Mount Rainier has a topographic prominence of 13,211 ft (4,027 m), which is greater than that of K2, the world's second-tallest mountain, at 13,179 ft (4,017 m).

Mount Adams at 12,281 ft (3,743 m) is the second highest potentially active stratovolcano in Wasington.

Mount Baker, at 10,781 ft (3,286 m), Washington's third highest mountain has the second-most thermally active volcanic crater in the Cascade Range after Mount Saint Helens. There has been many times in the years I have lived near it that I have seen the steam rising from the crater at it's summit. I also have enjoyed skiing at the Mount Baker Ski Area for over 40 years. The ski area has the world record for recorded snowfall in a single season—1,140 inches (2,900 cm), set in 1999 (global warming? Al Gore, eat your heart out!).

Right out my back door is Glacier Peak, the fourth highest in Washington at 10,525 ft (3,207 m). The mountain is the most isolated of the five major stratovolcanoes (composite volcanoes) of the Cascade Volcanic Arc in the state of Washington.

There was also Mount St. Helens, which blew the top of itself off on 18 May, 1980. Now it lies quietly, burping up mud, ash and steam from time to time, and attracting tourists from all around the world.

With the potential for cataclysmic geologic destruction looming, living on the Pacific Ring of Fire can be scary at times. But maybe if we place the South Pole at the top all the magma will rise to the "top" of the world!

01-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #13460
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Medication's working?
01-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #13461
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Yah ... "thanks so much" for that hociR image ... my ayoH K-5 looks ... it looks ... well, looks old. merde

Surely not as old as many of the pictures of things you put on another thread in PF. The ones where someone writes the price on with texta. Surely there is a less damaging way of displaying the prices.
01-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #13462
Site Supporter

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine!" (repeat)

---------- Post added 01-12-15 at 21:36 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Surely not as old as many of the pictures of things you put on another thread in PF. The ones where someone writes the price on with texta. Surely there is a less damaging way of displaying the prices.
Oh, you mean this?

Don't worry ... it wipes off easy with a 3M Easy Clean Pen ... thankfully.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 01-12-2015 at 01:40 PM.
01-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #13463

Sorry to bring this thread back on topic, but the livE hociR has struck (or is that hociR livE?). My K-3 package landed on my desk this morning

01-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #13464

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Ah, but you, m'sieur, are a hopeless gear addict

Totally unlike me, of course
Totally.
01-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #13465

Calm down, the effects of the hociR livE are only temporary. You'll be back to normal soon...
Now you must change your name, and enter the witness protection program, then move to an undisclosed location, taking on a completely different life.

It.

Must.

Be.

Done.
01-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #13466
Veteran Member

Getting back to bacon! Thought I'd share this. I stumbled across it the other day and it sounded insanely good so I tried it tonight for dinner. It was YUM. This one is going permanently in my cookbook/scrapbook. ~Applewood Sticky Bacon Wings! | Oh Bite It
01-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #13467
Veteran Member

Calm down, the effects of the hociR livE are only temporary. You'll be back to normal soon...
What does hociR evil do to you? I'm not sure I went through this...
01-12-2015, 05:30 PM - 2 Likes   #13468
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
It is interesting how when man discovered that the world was actually round and not flat, and then he made maps of it, North was placed at the top, with South on the bottom. For so many, as they became aware of the world around them, the top of the world was always up, had always been up, and would always be up.

As if it was somehow turned over and South was made to be at the top everything would be upside down.

Of course we all know Mount Everest is considered to be the highest place at 8,848 m (29,029 ft), but when we actually consider a reference other than mean sea level there are actually higher peaks. Mauna Kea (4,207 m (13,802 ft) above sea level) is the world's tallest mountain and volcano, rising about 10,203 m (33,474 ft) from the Pacific Ocean floor. Ojos del Salado has the greatest rise on Earth—13,420 m (44,029 ft) from the summit to the bottom of the Atacama Trench about 560 km (350 mi) away, though most of this rise is not part of the mountain.

The highest mountains above sea level are also not those with peaks farthest from the centre of the Earth, because the figure of the Earth is not spherical. Sea level closer to the equator is several miles farther from the center of the Earth. The summit of Chimborazo, Ecuador's tallest mountain, is usually considered to be the farthest point from the Earth's center, although the southern summit of Peru's tallest mountain, Huascarán, is another contender. Both have elevations above sea level more than 2 km less than that of Everest.

So I guess it really depends upon your frame of reference when one determines which way is "up", and where the "top" of the world really is.

By the way, Aoraki / Mount Cook, the highest point in New Zealand at 3,754 metres (12,316 ft).

Mount McClintock is the highest mountain 3,492 mters (11,456 ft) in the Britannia Range in Australian Antarctic Territory, Mawson Peak at 2,745 metres (9,006 ft), it is the second highest peak in any state or territory of Australia. With a height of 2,228 metres (7,310 ft) above sea level, Mount Kosciuszko is the highest mountain on the Australian continent.

Not far from where I live, Mount Rainier is the highest peak in Washington state at 14,411 ft (4,392 m). Mount Rainier is considered one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world, and it is on the Decade Volcano list. The mountain ranked third of the 128 ultra-prominent mountain peaks of the United States. Mount Rainier has a topographic prominence of 13,211 ft (4,027 m), which is greater than that of K2, the world's second-tallest mountain, at 13,179 ft (4,017 m).

Mount Adams at 12,281 ft (3,743 m) is the second highest potentially active stratovolcano in Wasington.

Mount Baker, at 10,781 ft (3,286 m), Washington's third highest mountain has the second-most thermally active volcanic crater in the Cascade Range after Mount Saint Helens. There has been many times in the years I have lived near it that I have seen the steam rising from the crater at it's summit. I also have enjoyed skiing at the Mount Baker Ski Area for over 40 years. The ski area has the world record for recorded snowfall in a single season—1,140 inches (2,900 cm), set in 1999 (global warming? Al Gore, eat your heart out!).

Right out my back door is Glacier Peak, the fourth highest in Washington at 10,525 ft (3,207 m). The mountain is the most isolated of the five major stratovolcanoes (composite volcanoes) of the Cascade Volcanic Arc in the state of Washington.

There was also Mount St. Helens, which blew the top of itself off on 18 May, 1980. Now it lies quietly, burping up mud, ash and steam from time to time, and attracting tourists from all around the world.

With the potential for cataclysmic geologic destruction looming, living on the Pacific Ring of Fire can be scary at times. But maybe if we place the South Pole at the top all the magma will rise to the "top" of the world!
This was the most informative post in this thread in some time!
01-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #13469

Getting back to bacon!
You mean like this !!??

Last edited by Stumpy; 01-12-2015 at 05:41 PM.
01-12-2015, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #13470
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
This was the most informative post in this thread in some time!
Yep, it has lowered the whole tone of the thread hasn't it!
Fancy being informative on this thread; the cheek of it.