Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
I have been waiting for the announcement of the k3 for some time.Now that the camera is out and seeing the pics and seeing "ricoh on the back of the screen turns me off.Only a matter of time before we see Ricoh on the front of the camera.I think ricoh just shot themselves in the foot.
This is no reason, Ricoh being a company has to put their name and I don't see any issues with it. Pentax as a brand is retained and will be retained.

10-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #122
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I'm going to buy it - Most likely 2 bodies, actually.
Same here. Don't know if I'll do that with the K-1(?).
10-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #123
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Personally I couldn't give a 4XXXX what name is on the camera as long as it's a quality product and takes my K-mount lenses.
Well said... they could brand the camera Nikon and I'd still use it if it takes my lenses.

Shudder, Nikon.
10-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #124

Referring to the OP, this seems to be one of those "I hate the fact that the world changes" kind of arguments. And it completely ignores the history of the brand. I am looking right now at the Super-Takumar 35mm/f2 I just bought from someone online (with original case and caps in excellent condition - woo hooo..), and nowhere on it does it say Pentax. The lens cover says Honeywell Pentax, but the lens i.d. ring simply says Asahi Optical Co. If Ricoh has bought the company (and they have), they get to put whatever they want on it, and since they seemingly have invested a lot of money in the product and R&D, then good for them. Also, please don't forget, that Ricoh itself is over 75 years old and a well-respected manufacturer in other segments. So it is say Ricoh on it somewhere, who cares. If it is truly as awesome as it sounds so far, sign me up.

10-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #125
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Hmm....maybe it's a good thing having the only two camera makers to ever support the K mount be united?
Chinon also did some well-specced K-mount cameras. I owned a couple, as they were very good value, and the main attraction was that they could take Pentax lenses. I started with M42 cameras - Zenit, Cosina and a Chinon Memotron (anyone remember those?), and that is what made me aware of the Pentax brand, as Takumars were among the best lenses one could buy in that mount. I couldn't afford a real Pentax in those days. Later, I bought a P30 and my joy was unbounded!

Sorry to ramble, but I suppose my point is that while I love Pentax, and want it long to continue as a brand, the mount has always been the main attraction for me. I am, in fact, happy to see "Ricoh" on the camera, as it means that the company are proud to be associated with it, and are committed to the brand. And you are right, Lauren, to speculate that it may bring some Ricohnians into the Pentax fold.
10-11-2013, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #126
Pentaxian

I don't get why this is the hottest thread on PF right now. Ricoh is obviously doing its very best. Getting all this done in such a short amount of time is admirable. They're updating camera bodies, low, mid and higher tiers. They're updating lenses, bringing out new lenses, updating coating, accessories, and are even updating the flash system. Given their activity we can safely assume they have much more up their sleeve. And given the frequency of their activity then we can safely assume we won't have to wait that long at all for more "stuff". Having that said that, at the same time I also don't understand why people automatically assume the K-mount is perfectly safe now. They fail to realise Ricoh did ditch it once in their history already. I know it's not logical to dump the K-mount... But ruining the esthetics of a perfectly good design by introducing a totally useless feature at 3 times its necessary size creating a huge big hump located in a place nobody wants it, isn't logical either.
10-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #127
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
bringing out new lenses
Which ones?
10-11-2013, 01:30 AM   #128
Veteran Member

At $1299 (what my local price is) there is definitely a large space between this camera and a FF to play with. The D600 costs $2,500 here so the much bandied around $1500 I keep reading here for that camera isn't an issue. There's got to be two FF's coming soon.

Last edited by bossa; 10-11-2013 at 01:40 AM.
10-11-2013, 01:38 AM   #129
Banned

On the German market, I'm on idealo and the d600 is available from authorized resellers for the high 1400 EUR range out the door. The 7100 is already in the low 900 range. The 800 is in the 2,000 range.

6D is in the mid-1,500 range (includes Adobe software). The 70D is in the mid-1000 range.5DIII is around 2,500.
10-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #130
Veteran Member

I will never use the strap that says "Pentax" that will come with my Ricoh K-3.

Or should I say "with my Peak Design K-3"?
10-11-2013, 02:15 AM   #131
Pentaxian

Without knowing why, the Ricoh brand name really seems to turns me off. And for some unknown reason, I honestly don't think I'll ever own a Ricoh camera.

That being said, I think Ricoh's branding motions can be likened to the overzealous boyfriend. The kind who just can't contain himself on a first date with a really hot girl.

At any rate, I can't help but feel as though Ricoh is doing all the wrong moves in terms of winning over the Pentax market. - but that's just me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I don't get why this is the hottest thread on PF right now. Ricoh is obviously doing its very best. Getting all this done in such a short amount of time is admirable. They're updating camera bodies, low, mid and higher tiers. They're updating lenses, bringing out new lenses, updating coating, accessories, and are even updating the flash system. Given their activity we can safely assume they have much more up their sleeve. And given the frequency of their activity then we can safely assume we won't have to wait that long at all for more "stuff". Having that said that, at the same time I also don't understand why people automatically assume the K-mount is perfectly safe now. They fail to realise Ricoh did ditch it once in their history already. I know it's not logical to dump the K-mount... But ruining the esthetics of a perfectly good design by introducing a totally useless feature at 3 times its necessary size creating a huge big hump located in a place nobody wants it, isn't logical either.
10-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #132
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I will never use the strap that says "Pentax" that will come with my Ricoh K-3.
I never use the "Pentax" strap either, in case my camera gets stolen. I use a "Canon" strap instead!
10-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #133

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
When I first saw that I thought it would be a deal-breaker for many, but after all you can just black it out with a sharpie if you really don't want to see it
or use paint remover solvent
10-11-2013, 02:21 AM   #134
Site Supporter

It's not a Ricoh K-3: if one wants to be pedantic, it's a Ricoh Pentax K-3. I guess I'm just happy that Ricoh was able to buy the Pentax name, after all, Hoya still make medical equipment under the Pentax banner, and could have decided to keep it to themselves. Look what happened to Minolta.
10-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I guess I'm just happy that Ricoh was able to buy the Pentax name, after all, Hoya still make medical equipment under the Pentax banner. Look what happened to Minolta.
Well at least the Minolta A-mount is still... ehrrr... dang...