Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2015, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #13666
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had a similar experience, but I was alone. That time, I knew that the guy following me had some bad intentions. I was obviously carrying a camera inside my bag then. What I did was slow down, deliberately detached the tripod from my bag while looking at him, and showed him I was prepared to swing that tripod to crack his head should he continue his plan. He stopped, grinned, and went his merry way away from me upon seeing I was no easy prey.

01-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #13667
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If this guy would have gotten within arms reach of me, and I felt threatened by him, I would have given my camera body a drop test to his face.

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
I had a similar experience, but I was alone. That time, I knew that the guy following me had some bad intentions. I was obviously carrying a camera inside my bag then. What I did was slow down, deliberately detached the tripod from my bag while looking at him, and showed him I was prepared to swing that tripod to crack his head should he continue his plan. He stopped, grinned, and went his merry way away from me upon seeing I was no easy prey.
I've always wondered how the retractable metal spikes on the tripod feet would do in a self defense situation.
01-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #13668
Veteran Member

He was probably thinking I was carrying a Canon/Nikon.

Little did he know that I'm Hocir's minion hahahaha!

---------- Post added 01-20-15 at 12:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
If this guy would have gotten within arms reach of me, and I felt threatened by him, I would have given my camera body a drop test to his face.

I've always wondered how the retractable metal spikes on the tripod feet would do in a self defense situation.
Actually, I'm more scared when I'm with a loved one, since you've taken out the option of "flight", and left with the sole option of "fight", either for self-defence, and to ensure that your loved one can make an escape at worst case scenario.
01-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #13669
Veteran Member

The K-3 is a pretty solid chunk of metal, you could probably kill someone with it. My choice photographic gear/defence weapon is usually my Pentax-M f4.5 80-200mm, the lens that ALWAYS gets inspected at airports.

Back off topic, we had our first decent aurora in a while last night-- typical that I was just about to go to bed when I saw the flare, and then proceeded to not be able to find my tripod plate (damn you, non arca-swiss compatible tripod!).

01-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #13670
Emperor and Senpai

My monopod could probably do a number on someone up to no good. Of course if I am in certain areas I do carry concealed.
01-19-2015, 10:03 AM   #13671
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
... seeing I was no easy prey.
Not related to cameras (didn't carry any at the time), but when I was living in Ghana I once entered a Tro (mini bus) and another guy jumped in next to me, looking very determined to get the seat next to me. I pulled out my wallet from a zipped pocket at around the hight of my thigh, payed the mate (conductor) and put the wallet back. A couple of minutes later the guy proceeded to pull out a massive newspaper and spread it out in a way that it covered both his lap and my right leg.

A minute or so later I felt the slightest twitch at my right leg - his right hand had made its way underneath the newspaper and to my pocket - I doubt I would've noticed it had I not already been suspicious about him. I waited until I felt the zipper was about halfway open, then stretched and yawned, looked at my pocket and gasped in surprise. I turned to him and said "Oh my, I must've left my pocket open! I should be more careful, there are pickpockets everywhere." He mumbled something and went back to reading the newspaper. A couple of minutes later he made another attempt. This time I just grabbed his newspaper and shut it, staring at him. He broke into sweat, started to stutter, then his gaze wandered to the newspaper and he helplessly pointed at it. The top page had a big advert for an exhibition of Egyptian art on it. "Nice", I said, "you like Egyptian art? Looks like the mask of Tutankhamun." I went on about the fine details about Egyptian art while the poor guy was getting even more confused and he made a scrambling exit at the next stop, while I was internally guffawing

Obviously I might as well have pointed him out, but I had just witnessed a pickpocket being caught in the row behind me in a Tro a couple of weeks before - he was stripped to his boxers on the spot, all while the women around were screaming in panic and the guy he had been pickpocketing, and when the Tro came to a halt he was pushed out on the street and badly kicked and beaten up by everyone around until he could make an escape.

Good old times ...
01-19-2015, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #13672
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Not related to cameras (didn't carry any at the time), but when I was living in Ghana I once entered a Tro (mini bus) and another guy jumped in next to me, looking very determined to get the seat next to me. I pulled out my wallet from a zipped pocket at around the hight of my thigh, payed the mate (conductor) and put the wallet back. A couple of minutes later the guy proceeded to pull out a massive newspaper and spread it out in a way that it covered both his lap and my right leg.

A minute or so later I felt the slightest twitch at my right leg - his right hand had made its way underneath the newspaper and to my pocket - I doubt I would've noticed it had I not already been suspicious about him. I waited until I felt the zipper was about halfway open, then stretched and yawned, looked at my pocket and gasped in surprise. I turned to him and said "Oh my, I must've left my pocket open! I should be more careful, there are pickpockets everywhere." He mumbled something and went back to reading the newspaper. A couple of minutes later he made another attempt. This time I just grabbed his newspaper and shut it, staring at him. He broke into sweat, started to stutter, then his gaze wandered to the newspaper and he helplessly pointed at it. The top page had a big advert for an exhibition of Egyptian art on it. "Nice", I said, "you like Egyptian art? Looks like the mask of Tutankhamun." I went on about the fine details about Egyptian art while the poor guy was getting even more confused and he made a scrambling exit at the next stop, while I was internally guffawing

Obviously I might as well have pointed him out, but I had just witnessed a pickpocket being caught in the row behind me in a Tro a couple of weeks before - he was stripped to his boxers on the spot, all while the women around were screaming in panic and the guy he had been pickpocketing, and when the Tro came to a halt he was pushed out on the street and badly kicked and beaten up by everyone around until he could make an escape.

Good old times ...
I think I like that system. Not paying to put him in prison and it is great motivation to quit.

Stomp his fingers really good a few times and he won't be engaged in that trade much longer.
01-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #13673

About 2 hours later, we were walking back to our car, and 1 block from it, we see the guy on the next block over. He was standing on the corner yelling at parked cars. Cars that didn't have people inside them.
There used to be a guy in my area like that. There was a halfway house for the special needs people that he lived in. This dude was huge, about 6' 6" tall and around 300lbs, looking like an NFL linebacker. Every day he was on a street corner, yelling at passing vehicles. When the signal was red he would walk up to the closer cars and begin yelling at the occupants.

It could be very disconcerting to those who were unaware of the guy. But he was actually harmless, and never actually touched a car or passerby.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Stomp his fingers really good a few times and he won't be engaged in that trade much longer.
I have always been in favor of the type of justice practiced in other parts of the world. Get caught stealing, they cut off your hand. Get caught a second time and you won't be stealing stuff anymore. And other things one does with their hands will become much more difficult too.

01-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #13674
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
But the cricket is happy.
Three way tournament between Australia, England and India.
Only two matches played so far: Aust 2, Eng 0, India 0.

---------- Post added 01-19-2015 at 09:06 PM ----------

And on the food and drink topic:

I like the more dignified view of drink in the first image more than the sashimi in the second. Which brings to mind the question: "why are Japanese restaurants so expensive when they do not even need to invest in a stove or oven?"
01-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #13675
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote

Good old times ...
Ah, yes, there are enough places where I would be veeeery reluctant to "out" a thief. It's not unheard of crowds beating thieves to death, and I don't want to be part of that. I don't like pickpockets, but a death sentence is pretty harsh. Yes, it is. Really.

There were some thieves at a night train I took in Tanzania. They just jumped off, at speed, when they were found out - less risk of injury than to stay on board. The whole carriage was in an uproar.

At the end of the day it's only money, and not that much of it either - not really. Losing some while travelling can be an annoyance and an inconvenience, but that's about it.

Come to think of it, the only time anyone has managed to pick my pockets was in the UK, in London. Didn't notice a thing Whoever did it didn't get more than a city map and a tube ticket, though. I don't ever carry valuables easily accessible, no matter where I am.
01-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #13676
Site Supporter

Oh my ... from FB.

01-19-2015, 03:03 PM   #13677
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Oh my ... from FB.
That's quite the image, it definitely belongs in "People and their cameras".
01-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #13678
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's quite the image, it definitely belongs in "People and their cameras".
Good idea ! Going there now ...
01-19-2015, 03:47 PM   #13679
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Oh my ... from FB.
Two questions: "Where?" and "Why?!"
01-19-2015, 04:05 PM - 4 Likes   #13680
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
She is always right, even when she is wrong.
Sounds a bit like someone around this house. Often in error but seldom in doubt.