Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #1396
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wow! You mean we are even more verbose and ridiculous than the video guys? Cool!
Hard to believe. And I heard a rumor that there was actually some pertinent content on the video thread. Just no accounting for some folks (as my grandma used to say).

12-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #1397
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No...... Who in the world would believe a story that ridiculous?
(scoffs) Scoff! Scoff! That would imply that Pentax was somehow doomed in the past, when everyone knows they are doomed NOW!
12-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #1398
Site Supporter

I would like to point out that the view to post ratio is substantially higher for the threads that are actually relevant to the K-3, photography, and, well, relevant to anything at all.
Are you trying to say this thread isn't relevant?? I can't think of any thread on here that has been relevant to more topics than this!

Of course, that depends slightly on how one defines "relevant".
12-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #1399
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wouldn't be surprised to find they've redrawn the backward-compatibility line at K-mount. Many have emailed their technical people observations about this inconvenience, beginning with the K-01. A few have receive appreciative replies and requests for further info.

Responses disappear into some kind of programmer hellhole, I guess.
Back up a minute. What compatibility problem with the K-01. I had not read anything about this. So far every lens I have tried has worked, even the manual ones.

Would appreciate some direction to where these issues were discussed. Thanks.

12-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #1400
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Back up a minute. What compatibility problem with the K-01. I had not read anything about this. So far every lens I have tried has worked, even the manual ones.

Would appreciate some direction to where these issues were discussed. Thanks.
There has been a flurry of threads in the last month or so of users complaining that stop-down metering does not work with lenses having non-conductive bases on their K-30/K-50 and various K-01 users have chimed in to say that it does not work on their cameras either and recently there was a comment regarding the K-3 and the claim that those lenses do not work with any K-mount Pentax camera that supports video. I don't own any of those and can say for sure. All I know is that filing down the backsides of M42 lenses has become an obsession for a segment of the Pentax Forums user base.

The truth is out there somewhere.

Steve
12-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #1401
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The -M lenses here are working accurately on the K-01.
HOWEVER, in "M" mode, the iso must be set to manual iso selection , not auto iso.
I think its an omission that there is not a warning dialog about that when switching to "M" mode.
I wonder if that is same on the K-30, 50, 3 ?
12-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #1402
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There has been a flurry of threads in the last month or so of users complaining that stop-down metering does not work with lenses having non-conductive bases on their K-30/K-50 and various K-01 users have chimed in to say that it does not work on their cameras either and recently there was a comment regarding the K-3 and the claim that those lenses do not work with any K-mount Pentax camera that supports video. I don't own any of those and can say for sure. All I know is that filing down the backsides of M42 lenses has become an obsession for a segment of the Pentax Forums user base.

The truth is out there somewhere.
I've got both, and was playing with my K-30 this morning - in manual mode, even with fixed ISO, the camera seems to meter continously - if I change the aperture, the shutter speed changes without hitting the green button. I think the behavior is different in LiveView. On a K-01, I'm pretty sure I've gotten the green button to work, but with Auto-ISO on (TAv mode), the camera meters continuously and I always have a usable shutter speed. There definitely is an issue here, but it's muddied by folks who don't turn Auto-ISO off. I'm not sure how much of it is a failure as opposed to just different behavior to get used to - I've gotten plenty of perfectly good shots with M42 lenses on a K-01.

I've been "out there" for years. If I run into The Truth, I'll let it know y'all are looking for it.
12-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #1403
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread is getting dangerously close to becoming photography relevant.

12-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #1404
Loyal Site Supporter

My apologies.

Edit: I've gotten plenty of perfectly good shots of cheese sandwiches with M42 lenses on a K-01.

Is that better?
12-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #1405
Site Supporter

This thread is getting dangerously close to becoming photography relevant.
I believe that M42 lenses are the best for photographing cheese sandwiches. The classic rendering provides a better reproduction of the delicate nuances of color in fine cheese.
12-12-2013, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #1406
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Now we're back on track!

We need a picture of a squirrel eating a cheese and bacon sandwich samich taken with an M42 lens.
12-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #1407
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I believe that M42 lenses are the best for photographing cheese sandwiches. The classic rendering provides a better reproduction of the delicate nuances of color in fine cheese.
I think cheddar looks best when shot with a radioactive Takumar.
12-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #1408
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. I just picked up a Pentax M42 Adapter from BH Photo with the intent to use my radioactive Takumar to photograph cheese sandwiches, pizza, macaroni and cheese, as well a rhubarb pie while using my K-01. If this does not work I will be mad enough to melt cheese!

How's that.

(Now I am really plugged up. )
12-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #1409
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course I won't be using the K-3 to do any of that as I do not own one. It is not full frame (already have plenty of good APS-C cameras) and it has some silly logo on the back.
12-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #1410
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget the squirrel!

Mmmm. How about a cheese and lutefisk samich grilled in bacon grease?