Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2015, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #14776
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
If there's tons of them, how come they're protected and not considered a rodent?
Upover (previously Downunder) we don't care much for the underdog. We have a plethora of venomous snakes (Red Bellied Black, Brown, Tiger, Taipan and who knows what all) but they are protected! We have Gazillions of Kangaroos which eat pastoralists out of house and home and they are protected (well not really but you wouldn't want to let a greenie see you shoot one!) We have more Magpies than you can poke a stick at, which are VERY territorial in Spring (to the extent that people have died after being dive bombed and had an inch or too of beak stuck in their head) and they are protected.

In Oz, we only protect those that don't need protecting (slightly exaggerated).

02-18-2015, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #14777
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

It's Praktically carved in stone.
Momma Mamiya! You had to really Sekor-ound to find that one.
02-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #14778
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mark, I had in mind that we took possums to NZ. I just looked it up on the interwebby (so it must be right!) and found this;
The brushtail possum (Trichosurus Vulpecula) was first brought to NZ from Australia in 1837 with the intention of establishing a fur industry. This proved unsuccessful and possums were allowed to spread throughout the country destroying native bush and having a devastating effect on native wildlife. There are estimated 65-70 million possums in New Zealand and possum control is a never-ending and possibly unwinnable battle. Possum is now considered a green fur, that is, a fur that is good for the environment because the animal it comes from is such a destructive pest.
02-18-2015, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #14779
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I think what you meant is 'they are good at eating' - in this case my lens:
That don't look like any opossum we have around here.
That's because it isn't an opossum - it's a possum Common brushtail possum (Trichosurus vulpecula), to be precise. There are tons of them down in Oz.
That Australian beastie is an imposter. The Wikipedia says so...

Opossum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steve

02-18-2015, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #14780
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Mark, I had in mind that we took possums to NZ. I just looked it up on the interwebby (so it must be right!) and found this;
The brushtail possum (Trichosurus Vulpecula) was first brought to NZ from Australia in 1837 with the intention of establishing a fur industry. This proved unsuccessful and possums were allowed to spread throughout the country destroying native bush and having a devastating effect on native wildlife. There are estimated 65-70 million possums in New Zealand and possum control is a never-ending and possibly unwinnable battle. Possum is now considered a green fur, that is, a fur that is good for the environment because the animal it comes from is such a destructive pest.
Yup, that sounds about right. Hence, we love shooting possums. And magpies. Some of us even aim for them when they cross roads (possums, not magpies). Ferrets and stoats are pests too, over here, but not nearly as many around as possums.
02-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #14781
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
And magpies.
These birds are the devil's pets! I got swooped twice when I lived in Australia, even their eyes are red! Who cares about all the venomous stuff that can potentially kill you if you actually die crashing into a lamp post with your bicycle because you had to fend off one of these flying rats?!

A guy in my neuroscience tutorial group at uni was partially blind because a magpie rammed its beak into his right eye when he was a kid
02-18-2015, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #14782
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A guy in my neuroscience tutorial group at uni was partially blind because a magpie rammed its beak into his right eye when he was a kid
Yep, we care for magpies, but not for kids.

---------- Post added 02-19-2015 at 01:33 PM ----------

Here's an authentic Australian Magpie. The amount of black/white on the back varies from one locality to another, but largely they are the same vicious bird.
This one's feathers are a bit dishevelled due to him standing in the rain.

PS. This is one of my first efforts with my new Siggy 150-500, handheld from my study window.

02-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #14783
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Do you have a source for that?

Juvenal was a mid to late first century AD Roman satirist. Penguin published "Sixteen Satires" and it was in there somewhere.

Much of his content was definitely NSFW, describing in graphic detail the debaucheries of Rome.

---------- Post added 02-19-15 at 03:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Here, any method that involves the death of the possum is very much allowed!
We like shooting them! (It's called "spotlighting")

Here spotlighting is hunting for rabbits or roos.
02-18-2015, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #14784
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Momma Mamiya! You had to really Sekor-ound to find that one.
If there every was a worse pun I haven't Zenit.

Mamma Mir!
02-18-2015, 11:15 PM   #14785
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

The Buggles: Video killed the Industar
02-18-2015, 11:40 PM   #14786
Veteran Member

Yep, we care for magpies, but not for kids.

---------- Post added 02-19-2015 at 01:33 PM ----------

Here's an authentic Australian Magpie. The amount of black/white on the back varies from one locality to another, but largely they are the same vicious bird.

PS. This is one of my first efforts with my new Siggy 150-500, handheld from my study window.
Nice. Magpies are Corvidae, and no, they're not the nicest birds sometimes, but they're smart and funny I like them. I'm fond of all birds in that family almost. They're sneaky, intelligent birds. I admire that. Wish I could have a bird in that family for a pet. I did sort of when I was a kid. I fostered an American crow with a broken wing for a while working volunteer at the local bird sanctuary, but it's illegal here, alas. I'm very well known for my love of crows, ravens, magpies and such. I wear raven and crow jewelry a lot. Cat, Raven, Wolf. Those are my totem animals.
02-18-2015, 11:48 PM   #14787
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Cat, Raven, Wolf. Those are my totem animals.
Raven (as in the NW Coast tradition) is my totem or spirit animal. I have know it for years.

Steve
02-19-2015, 12:07 AM   #14788
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mag, There are a number of birds native to Australia of Corvidae species, but our magpie is not one of them.

quote: The Australian Magpie (Cracticus tibicen) is a medium-sized black and white passerine bird native to Australia and southern New Guinea. A member of the Artamidae, it is closely related to the butcherbirds.
At one stage, the Australian Magpie was considered to be three separate species, although zones of hybridisation between forms reinforced the idea of a single species with several subspecies, nine of which are now recognised.

The Cordivae birds in Australia are ravens and crows the like - which for size and shape are not all that different to our maggie! Go figure! (I don't have a lot of time for species' families - there's a lot of supposition in it all).
02-19-2015, 01:47 AM   #14789
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

Nice shot Rod!
02-19-2015, 03:42 AM   #14790
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Nice shot Rod!
Thanks Racer.